Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Master cylinder reservoir line attachment, Master cylinder 1972
Porsche Guy
post Sep 14 2017, 03:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,391
Region Association: North East States

Anybody have a good method to attach / insert into the grommets the 2 reservoir feed lines to the master cylinder while on the car? Thank you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Sep 14 2017, 06:15 PM
Post #2

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Porsche Guy @ Sep 14 2017, 05:24 PM) *

Anybody have a good method to attach / insert into the grommets the 2 reservoir feed lines to the master cylinder while on the car? Thank you.

I'm not aware of a good way to do it with the MC still mounted. I'd recommend dismounting the MC and installing the feed lines to it first (then attaching to the reservoir). You need those little metal washers, and you definitely want those lines to seat or they will leak. As you probably know by now, getting those lines seated firmly is a bit of a PITA. Dismounting the MC is really not that difficult.

Good luck, and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) in case someone else has a better idea.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Sep 15 2017, 06:34 AM
Post #3

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

I did this about 4 years ago when I replaced the MC on my first 914. I don't remember exactly how I got the lines to seat into the MC because my memory of it all is a bit of a blur from several hours of frustration and swearing at the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
As BeatNavy mentioned, it helps to keep the MC unmounted.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Sep 15 2017, 06:58 AM
Post #4

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Oh, one thing I should have mentioned previously. Do some searching here on the site about "bench bleeding" the MC and bleeding the brakes in general. Bleeding the brakes on our cars can sometimes be tricky and frustrating, particularly with a brand new MC.
+Quote Post
theer
post Sep 15 2017, 07:31 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Bleeding the brakes is an often frustrating, multi-step process. Lots of guidance here, though.

Pushing the pipes in the grommets is tough, but was slightly easier when the MC was not yet mounted to the firewall - gives you a little more room. Also, make sure to lubricate the grommets liberally with brake fluid.

Good luck!
+Quote Post
cary
post Sep 15 2017, 07:33 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I just did it on Matt's car. I wish I'd shot a picture of the hose orientation for you.
You need to get them kind of started I right direction before you put it back up in there.
I use NAPA Sil Glyde to get the stoppers lubed up. Then I slide the flared end of the metal pipe in so it rests right above the last rim inside the stopper. This allows it to be soft enough to move around. I kind of get one side started at an angle, them push it in. This is all done with the MC in a bench top vise.

I did learn something while Matt's car was on the lift at Rothsport. Jeff called it exercising the rear e brake calipers. Basically you pump out each piston, then push it back in. You leave one pad in. Remove the other pad and insert and a medium screw driver. Pump the pad out till it meets up to the screwdriver, the push it back in. Repeat on the other side.
Jeff thought we'd need to retract the piston with the adjuster, but it pushed back in.
+Quote Post
cary
post Sep 15 2017, 07:35 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 10:50 AM