Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master cylinder reservoir line attachment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Guy
Anybody have a good method to attach / insert into the grommets the 2 reservoir feed lines to the master cylinder while on the car? Thank you.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Porsche Guy @ Sep 14 2017, 05:24 PM) *

Anybody have a good method to attach / insert into the grommets the 2 reservoir feed lines to the master cylinder while on the car? Thank you.

I'm not aware of a good way to do it with the MC still mounted. I'd recommend dismounting the MC and installing the feed lines to it first (then attaching to the reservoir). You need those little metal washers, and you definitely want those lines to seat or they will leak. As you probably know by now, getting those lines seated firmly is a bit of a PITA. Dismounting the MC is really not that difficult.

Good luck, and icon_bump.gif in case someone else has a better idea.
era vulgaris
I did this about 4 years ago when I replaced the MC on my first 914. I don't remember exactly how I got the lines to seat into the MC because my memory of it all is a bit of a blur from several hours of frustration and swearing at the car biggrin.gif
As BeatNavy mentioned, it helps to keep the MC unmounted.
BeatNavy
Oh, one thing I should have mentioned previously. Do some searching here on the site about "bench bleeding" the MC and bleeding the brakes in general. Bleeding the brakes on our cars can sometimes be tricky and frustrating, particularly with a brand new MC.
theer
agree.gif Bleeding the brakes is an often frustrating, multi-step process. Lots of guidance here, though.

Pushing the pipes in the grommets is tough, but was slightly easier when the MC was not yet mounted to the firewall - gives you a little more room. Also, make sure to lubricate the grommets liberally with brake fluid.

Good luck!
cary
I just did it on Matt's car. I wish I'd shot a picture of the hose orientation for you.
You need to get them kind of started I right direction before you put it back up in there.
I use NAPA Sil Glyde to get the stoppers lubed up. Then I slide the flared end of the metal pipe in so it rests right above the last rim inside the stopper. This allows it to be soft enough to move around. I kind of get one side started at an angle, them push it in. This is all done with the MC in a bench top vise.

I did learn something while Matt's car was on the lift at Rothsport. Jeff called it exercising the rear e brake calipers. Basically you pump out each piston, then push it back in. You leave one pad in. Remove the other pad and insert and a medium screw driver. Pump the pad out till it meets up to the screwdriver, the push it back in. Repeat on the other side.
Jeff thought we'd need to retract the piston with the adjuster, but it pushed back in.
cary
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.