Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> fighting allstate over cars value, help me keep my car
bradtho
post Sep 14 2017, 09:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,165
Region Association: None

I got hit recently. the other drivers insurance has accepted full liability (yay!) but now they are trying to declare my car a total loss.

the good news:
- they aren't arguing condition, they are categorizing it excellent
- we're in the ballpark, they are valuing it at about the amount of the repair estimate, $22k

the bad news:
- they still want to total it

I don't want to allow it to be totaled because if I buy it back and repair it and am hit again I figure it really hurts my value for the next claim (which hopefully never happens, but...).

I can find plenty of threads on choosing an insurance provider, but didn't find much on arguing value. So
- any tips/help with establishing value for cars that are in excellent shape?
- any tips/help for strategy on fighting (and winning) with one of the major insurance providers?

I'm looking to collect comps in the $28k+ range (since that's what I need to avoid the total declaration). And yes, I've got the recent $93k car from monterery!

I'm also looking into lawyer options, figuring that can't hurt. Not sure how to go about finding a good lawyer to help with an unusual car value.

any help appreciated.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Sep 14 2017, 09:44 PM
Post #2

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

Sorry , this is everybody's worst nightmere

But it looks like its totaled to me ?

And no way you could reproduce this car
Before the hit for 22k more like 29k $

With that paint , does not look cheap .

When the insurance company doesnt even
Know " what kinda car this is " how can you even expect
To get a fair shake (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Drink a shot of johnnie blue and try to forget (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Sep 14 2017, 09:45 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

There's a lawer who advertises in the local PCA magazine that he takes dimished value cases. Is that what you're looking for?
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Sep 14 2017, 09:47 PM
Post #4

I can find plenty of threads on choosing an insurance provider, but didn't find much on arguing value. So
- any tips/help with establishing value for cars that are in excellent shape?
- any tips/help for strategy on fighting (and winning) with one of the major insurance providers?

Grundy
Agreed value , thats that

+Quote Post
bradtho
post Sep 14 2017, 09:48 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(thelogo @ Sep 14 2017, 08:44 PM) *

I drove it from the site of the accident to the body shop and its supposed to be totaled? the reason the repair is so high is because of all the body work that had already been done that has to be replicated!

I realize that's me trying to use rationale arguments with the insurance industry, but...
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Sep 14 2017, 09:49 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sorry to hear about your car. It looks like a beauty.

In late 2011 I rebuilt and upgraded the entire drive train in my 86 944 Turbo. I rebuilt, upgraded and/or replaced everything from the air filter to the tail pipe. Less than a month after finishing it, I go rear ended on the freeway. My car ended up being totaled but I didn't really fight them on that, I just wanted a reasonable settlement.

So my situation was not exactly like yours but i did the insurance company song and dance. The guy who hit me had nationwide insurance and despite their smarmy commercials, they absolutely NOT on my side.

My first advice based on that experience is don't be in a rush. They seemed to want to get me to settle as fast as possible for as little as possible.

My second piece of advice is be prepared for them to lie to you about everything. About a month into my experience I got a call from someone in their claims department pushing me to settle soon because the daily storage charges on my car were starting to take a big chunk of the money I would receive when I finally did settle. Our conversation was not pleasant for her because I knew she was lying. I knew that I was not getting charged storage fees because my wrecked car was sitting in MY GARAGE!!! She didn't even seem embarrassed to be caught in a bold faced lie.

I waited a long time and when nationwide stopped moving forward, I got my insurance involved through my agent whom I had been dealing with for years for home, auto, business, and life insurance. Knowing my agent and especially his staff was extremely helpful in getting a proper settlement. The final settlement was more than double the original offer and it included me getting the car back.

So, take your time, fight for everything you want and bring in your own insurance if you don't get what you want from the other drivers.

Best of luck.

+Quote Post
thelogo
post Sep 14 2017, 09:53 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(bradtho @ Sep 14 2017, 08:48 PM) *

I drove it from the site of the accident to the body shop and its supposed to be totaled? the reason the repair is so high is because of all the body work that had already been done that has to be replicated!

I realize that's me trying to use rationale arguments with the insurance industry, but...

Then you tell me you drove it

Is the car bent or is it just cosmetics

Because for a 914 inspired perfomance driveing the car will see

High loads and structural integrity is critical

Could you drive it to a tire shop and have it aligned / wheel and tires alignment?

If so then id say your good to repaire it

If not then by bye
+Quote Post
bradtho
post Sep 14 2017, 09:59 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(thelogo @ Sep 14 2017, 08:53 PM) *

QUOTE(bradtho @ Sep 14 2017, 08:48 PM) *

Then you tell me you drove it
Is the car bent or is it just cosmetics
Because for a 914 inspired perfomance driveing the car will see

High loads and structural integrity is critical
Could you drive it to a tire shop and have it aligned / wheel and tires alignment?
If so then id say your good to repaire it
If not then by bye

aside from needing an alignment (and getting embarrassing attention due to the looks of the front!) I didn't notice any issues w/ the car. I probably drove 15+ miles after the accident.
+Quote Post
RickS
post Sep 14 2017, 10:03 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 5,880

I am very sorry to see such carnage. It was sure beautiful.

on values, I would look at Excellence, BAT, cars sold on this site close to your level Research as many sales close to your options and fit and finish. You want massive irrefutable documentation on values.

Next classic car only go with Agreed Value insurance. Haggerty, American Classic, Grundy, etc, then you won't have to go this route.
+Quote Post
bradtho
post Sep 14 2017, 10:05 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(RickS @ Sep 14 2017, 09:03 PM) *

Next classic car only go with Agreed Value insurance. Haggerty, American Classic, Grundy, etc, then you won't have to go this route.

thanks Rick. problem is that it's my daily driver. I haven't been able to find any agreed value policies that will take a DD.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 14 2017, 10:09 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

OMG that makes me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) ,such a nice car,sorry I don't see that cost in the repair.
Front cut welded in the ,paint is fresh so little cost there ,however I don't know labour rates in the USA,without seeing more pics I may be off beat but.....
Edit .....sorry didn't read your reply,you mentioned driving the car in that case it would surely pull out on a rack,again don't see that repair cost.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Sep 14 2017, 10:15 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(bradtho @ Sep 14 2017, 09:05 PM) *

QUOTE(RickS @ Sep 14 2017, 09:03 PM) *

thanks Rick. problem is that it's my daily driver. I haven't been able to find any agreed value policies that will take a DD.

Grundy is no mileage restrictions. Come on man
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Sep 14 2017, 11:08 PM
Post #13

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

Like Porschetub is also mentioning...does not look too bad to me that it should be totalled. Looks very repairable for a professioal shop. You mention it is because of all the bodywork that was done already. That is something I cannot see/judge from the pics.
I hope it turns out ok.
I know you don't want to think of this...but an alternative Plan D could be taking the 22K with keeping the car and sell the car to Europe for 5K. That gives you 27K and the car will have its next life across the big pond.
Again...i hope it works out for you...
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Sep 14 2017, 11:29 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

Send it to Kent........he can fix that.
+Quote Post
bradtho
post Sep 14 2017, 11:31 PM
Post #15

thanks everyone. no issues with getting it fixed. a big part of the cost is color matching the 3 stage paint that's on it.

Looking for help with valuation and fighting with insurance.
+Quote Post
somd914
post Sep 15 2017, 06:21 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Went through similar when my mother was hit and totaled in her fairly pristine 4 year Accord.

The proposed settlement was well below market value with much pressure to accept a quick settlement. We collected all sorts of comps which was easy to do on that car. Additionally Snake Farm and her agent of 30+ years promised to fight for her to get market value from the other driver's insurance company. That fight fizzled quickly.

Ultimately she ended up settling for several thousand below market as she needed a car and couldn't afford to keep paying for a rental - the fight wasn't worth it to her.

One of the issues we had with comps was for every one we had, they had a lower comp, generally for cars of more mileage and lesser condition, but a comp in their favor. Additionally they argued the higher comps came from sale ads, thus selling price was likely significantly lower. I've fought similar battles on home appraisals - make the comps show the desired value... It's difficult to establish comps in your case, especially given you are on the high end and don't have verifiable selling prices for other cars out there.

Given insurance laws and consumer protection laws vary from state-to-state, I'd consult an attorney and see what your rights are, and see what he/she recommends.

Good luck, and BTW, she looks beautiful despite the damage - fix her if possible and keep her going.

+Quote Post
My 914
post Sep 15 2017, 06:31 AM
Post #17

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

Get a lawyer to deal with the insurance issues for you. They know the insurance and outs and will argue your case. You will do better than on your own. Many personal injury firms have someone who only deals with insurance companies.
+Quote Post
cal44
post Sep 15 2017, 07:30 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 10,910
Region Association: Southwest Region

First off, I don't see a totaled car, I see a damaged car. It crumpled right where it was supposed to by design. The bulkhead "looks" to be just fine, or perhaps I'm not seeing the big picture. If this was a 356 I bet it would be repaired.

It reads as though your major problem is it is a DD. So a used Honda for now?

Yep, you can hire a lawyer but the charge may outweigh the result you desire.

Patience, as others have mentioned. The insurance companies job is to pay you as little as possible, your job is to get as much as you can.

What ever the outcome, avoid the vehicle being assigned a salvage title........that is always the death blow to future value.

Paint match is not a big deal. The boys have it down to science.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 15 2017, 07:35 AM
Post #19

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Fuck Brad! Speechless! don't accept a branded title. Your car is not totaled. You didn't mention it being your DD to anyone did you? Don't you normally use sound transit? Hint, hint.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Sep 15 2017, 07:39 AM
Post #20

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

So sorry to see this Brad, that's such a beautiful car. I would call John Kincl @360.895.1766. He is a long time auto appraiser who has dealt extensively with insurance companies on exactly this issue. I've seen him get some great results for people I know. He would probably do an appraisal of the car and work from there. Tell him Marc Ogren sent you. I've known him for over 25 years.

Good luck.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:24 PM