Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: I got zapped by lightning last night!, Anyone else ever had this happen?
Jake Raby
post May 20 2005, 12:31 PM
Post #1

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

So....
It's 0315 this morning and I'm working on the EFI install on the 912E..

We had a huge rash of bad thunderstorms roll through the area and I'm just waiting to see the lightning start popping to the ground since the radio had warned of serious cloud to ground lightning... But being the hard head I am and since I wanted to finish the FI install to get the 912 back on the road I kept splicing wires..

So... I am at the back of the 912 semi bent over hooking up the fast idle solenoid when out of the blue I hear a sharp pop, then a crack, then another pop and louder crack followed by a flash of bright white light and a numb feeling.... The first thing that crossed my mind was to jump into the engine bay of the car and get off the concrete floor and thats exactly what I did! Immediately following this I looked through the vents in the decklid toward the front of the car which was facing toward the back of the shop where the bay door was open and I saw a flash that appeared to come from under the car and go straight out the back door, but I never saw it hit anything..

So I just sat there in the engine bay for a while and then I sat down inside the car to gather my thoughts a bit then I went back to work thinking that I barely missed a big jolt.... Worked for about another hour and then crashed, but I felt fine.

Fastforward to this morning..

I wake up and I fell like I have had my ass beat by Schwarznegger or Mike Tyson...

As soon as I get out of the bed I know something is not right because it even took effort to open my eyes all the way, and then every muscle and joint in my body feels like it needs some serious lubrication or something.

So has anyone else ever had this happen to them before or anything close? I know I definately did not receive even one millionth of the juice that went out the back door of the shop but I don't understand why I didn't feel a literal shock, not even something like getting zapped by a plug wire..

I probably should go to the Dr. but I'm a hard headed SOB and don't want to go wait in line and smell the Dr's office. I doubt there is anything they could do anyway??? Right??

Weird thing is that we get zapped by lightning on top of this granite hill all the time, I normally lose computers ever summer and TVs as well but it doesn't seemed to have killed anything in the shop this time. I definaltely need to have the balancer recalibrated though, because it sounded like it bounced off the base of it the loudest since its 7,000 pounds of steel filled with concrete..

Its not fun for damn sure!

Heck I can't even think straight now, typing this took serious concentration!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post May 20 2005, 12:35 PM
Post #2

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

OUCH!!!!
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post May 20 2005, 12:45 PM
Post #3

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Jake,

A similar thing happened to my Mom (no car involved)....

Quit being hard headed and get a checkup.

NOW SOLDIER! On the double!

Ken
+Quote Post
messix
post May 20 2005, 12:47 PM
Post #4

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

go to the hospital now!

this is not a joke. you have been electrocuted and need to be checked out by e.m.s

I work out in the field in all weather and we are trained in what happens whan you get struck by lightening. you have injuries and need to be treated.

GET TO MEDICAL HELP NOW
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 20 2005, 12:53 PM
Post #5

Engine Surgeon

messix,
Thanks... I'll see how I feel in a bit then make a decision.. I do feel better than I did this morning.

Looks like I would have felt some kind of shock if I was electrocuted- wouldn't I?

I'm thinking that I leapt into the engine bay so fast I may have ran into a few things on the way in..
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 20 2005, 12:54 PM
Post #6

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Jake Raby @ May 20 2005, 11:31 AM)
So has anyone else ever had this happen to them before or anything close?

ayupp. and some people think those "incidents" explain why i am the way i am ...

i had two similar encounters, one when i was around ten, the second in my later teens (dunno, 16 or 17 maybe) ...

really weird thing is, you don't hear thunder! it's just a really loud "ZAP" sounds and you feel the pressure wave going through the air, but no loud thunder at all ...
i guess when you're too close, the wavelength of the thunder sound is longer than your distance to the lightning, so you don't hear the sound ...

btw. felt kinda the same way you describe it, really beaten up the next morning.
other than that, i turned out fine (or so i think) ...

the pain will go away slowly, it's simply sore muscles all over your body.
try to move them all to help with the recovery ...

lightning is cool!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 20 2005, 12:59 PM
Post #7

Engine Surgeon

Andy, thats exactly what happened- I never did hear it.. Just the pop and crack of it bouncing around in the shop..

How long did yours last? a few days?
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post May 20 2005, 01:01 PM
Post #8

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

It can lead to things that show up later.

Get checked!

Ken
+Quote Post
bd1308
Post #9

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

same thing happened to me.....take it easy for a while...your pain will eventually go away. I know this guy at western that actually had his hair turned white by lighting....i was dumb enough to ground myself to the jeep when lightening hit me. I got the blue spark a foot long jump outta my finger when lightening hit. Electrons travel at light speed, but sound only travels 700ft/sec or something lik ethat...thats whty you dont know it happened. It was a year ago and wierd things have happened to me. Actually i can't hardly sleep for more than 5 hours every day since then......
+Quote Post
SLITS
Post #10

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Just consider it a "free from Mother Nature" shock treatment, which we all know you needed anyway (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 20 2005, 01:03 PM
Post #11

Engine Surgeon

Maybe I won't be quite so much of an asshole anymore then!!!! Nah, it would have taken the entire bolt of lightning to stop that!
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 20 2005, 01:05 PM
Post #12

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Jake Raby @ May 20 2005, 11:59 AM)
Andy, thats exactly what happened- I never did hear it.. Just the pop and crack of it bouncing around in the shop..
How long did yours last? a few days?

yupp, couple of days ...
the electric shock makes all your muscles cramp and you get sore muscles all over your body ...

it'll get better after 2 days or so and you'll be back to normal in a week ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif) Andy

PS: check for burn marks! have your wife check your back too. make sure you don't have burned skin anywhere ...
+Quote Post
messix
post May 20 2005, 01:09 PM
Post #13

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada

go get checked out !

i'm not trying to be an asshole here but this is very serious!

these other people might have been lucky, or have just survived the injuries they recieved. you could have things that you cant feel that are affected. get to the doctor or e-room now.
+Quote Post
GWN7
post May 20 2005, 01:10 PM
Post #14

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

It might have been balled lighting. It travels horizontally across the ground. It can come thru open doors. We had a case where a girl at a picnic was hit. In a coma for months. Go get checked out.
+Quote Post
messix
post May 20 2005, 01:13 PM
Post #15

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

i agree to look for burn marks... also looks like small puncture wounds, they dont bleed. look on your scalp and hands any fresh wounds [lowest resistence] any place that was sweaty.

still get checked out
+Quote Post
carr914
post May 20 2005, 01:19 PM
Post #16

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

I was racing at Moroso in Palm Beach about 15 years ago. The rain started and I was walking under an umbrella when out of the corner of my eye I see a bolt of lightning about a quarter mile away. Instantly sparks are flying off my fingers on the hand holding the umbrella. Never heard the thunder. I had a slight headache for about a day and a half (didn't stop me from racing) and I've had numbness in my fingers ever since. The fingers still work, but I can't play the guitar anymore.
I've never used an umbrella since. I'd rather get soaked than socked. Tampa is the lightning capital of the Western Hemisphere with tens of thousands of lightning strikes every day during the summer. I'm alot more careful around storms now.
T.C.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post May 20 2005, 01:29 PM
Post #17

stoya, stoya, stoya

Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

wow dude! I'm glad you're ok!

drink a few beers and walk it off (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif) but I think a trip to the DR is in order too!
+Quote Post
merrill
post May 20 2005, 01:36 PM
Post #18

Dirt Pimp

Member No.: 3,505
Region Association: None

I agree with messix, go get checked.
+Quote Post
914werke
post May 20 2005, 01:41 PM
Post #19

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

Ya might consider putting up a Lighting Rod outside in your field somehere (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) Better to atract it to that then to your shop.
+Quote Post
914fire
post May 20 2005, 01:42 PM
Post #20

Captain Dave E7

Member No.: 3,886

EMS is my job and my advice is to go get checked out you could have internal injuries that might not show up till real permanent damage is done. go see your doc...
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 11:45 PM