Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: I got zapped by lightning last night!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Jake Raby
So....
It's 0315 this morning and I'm working on the EFI install on the 912E..

We had a huge rash of bad thunderstorms roll through the area and I'm just waiting to see the lightning start popping to the ground since the radio had warned of serious cloud to ground lightning... But being the hard head I am and since I wanted to finish the FI install to get the 912 back on the road I kept splicing wires..

So... I am at the back of the 912 semi bent over hooking up the fast idle solenoid when out of the blue I hear a sharp pop, then a crack, then another pop and louder crack followed by a flash of bright white light and a numb feeling.... The first thing that crossed my mind was to jump into the engine bay of the car and get off the concrete floor and thats exactly what I did! Immediately following this I looked through the vents in the decklid toward the front of the car which was facing toward the back of the shop where the bay door was open and I saw a flash that appeared to come from under the car and go straight out the back door, but I never saw it hit anything..

So I just sat there in the engine bay for a while and then I sat down inside the car to gather my thoughts a bit then I went back to work thinking that I barely missed a big jolt.... Worked for about another hour and then crashed, but I felt fine.

Fastforward to this morning..

I wake up and I fell like I have had my ass beat by Schwarznegger or Mike Tyson...

As soon as I get out of the bed I know something is not right because it even took effort to open my eyes all the way, and then every muscle and joint in my body feels like it needs some serious lubrication or something.

So has anyone else ever had this happen to them before or anything close? I know I definately did not receive even one millionth of the juice that went out the back door of the shop but I don't understand why I didn't feel a literal shock, not even something like getting zapped by a plug wire..

I probably should go to the Dr. but I'm a hard headed SOB and don't want to go wait in line and smell the Dr's office. I doubt there is anything they could do anyway??? Right??

Weird thing is that we get zapped by lightning on top of this granite hill all the time, I normally lose computers ever summer and TVs as well but it doesn't seemed to have killed anything in the shop this time. I definaltely need to have the balancer recalibrated though, because it sounded like it bounced off the base of it the loudest since its 7,000 pounds of steel filled with concrete..

Its not fun for damn sure!

Heck I can't even think straight now, typing this took serious concentration!
bernbomb914
OUCH!!!!
Katmanken
Jake,

A similar thing happened to my Mom (no car involved)....

Quit being hard headed and get a checkup.

NOW SOLDIER! On the double!

Ken
messix
go to the hospital now!

this is not a joke. you have been electrocuted and need to be checked out by e.m.s

I work out in the field in all weather and we are trained in what happens whan you get struck by lightening. you have injuries and need to be treated.

GET TO MEDICAL HELP NOW
Jake Raby
messix,
Thanks... I'll see how I feel in a bit then make a decision.. I do feel better than I did this morning.

Looks like I would have felt some kind of shock if I was electrocuted- wouldn't I?

I'm thinking that I leapt into the engine bay so fast I may have ran into a few things on the way in..
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ May 20 2005, 11:31 AM)
So has anyone else ever had this happen to them before or anything close?

ayupp. and some people think those "incidents" explain why i am the way i am ...

i had two similar encounters, one when i was around ten, the second in my later teens (dunno, 16 or 17 maybe) ...

really weird thing is, you don't hear thunder! it's just a really loud "ZAP" sounds and you feel the pressure wave going through the air, but no loud thunder at all ...
i guess when you're too close, the wavelength of the thunder sound is longer than your distance to the lightning, so you don't hear the sound ...

btw. felt kinda the same way you describe it, really beaten up the next morning.
other than that, i turned out fine (or so i think) ...

the pain will go away slowly, it's simply sore muscles all over your body.
try to move them all to help with the recovery ...

lightning is cool!
aktion035.gif Andy
Jake Raby
Andy, thats exactly what happened- I never did hear it.. Just the pop and crack of it bouncing around in the shop..

How long did yours last? a few days?
Katmanken
It can lead to things that show up later.

Get checked!

Ken
bd1308
same thing happened to me.....take it easy for a while...your pain will eventually go away. I know this guy at western that actually had his hair turned white by lighting....i was dumb enough to ground myself to the jeep when lightening hit me. I got the blue spark a foot long jump outta my finger when lightening hit. Electrons travel at light speed, but sound only travels 700ft/sec or something lik ethat...thats whty you dont know it happened. It was a year ago and wierd things have happened to me. Actually i can't hardly sleep for more than 5 hours every day since then......
SLITS
Just consider it a "free from Mother Nature" shock treatment, which we all know you needed anyway biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
Maybe I won't be quite so much of an asshole anymore then!!!! Nah, it would have taken the entire bolt of lightning to stop that!
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ May 20 2005, 11:59 AM)
Andy, thats exactly what happened- I never did hear it.. Just the pop and crack of it bouncing around in the shop..
How long did yours last? a few days?

yupp, couple of days ...
the electric shock makes all your muscles cramp and you get sore muscles all over your body ...

it'll get better after 2 days or so and you'll be back to normal in a week ...
boldblue.gif Andy

PS: check for burn marks! have your wife check your back too. make sure you don't have burned skin anywhere ...
messix
go get checked out !

i'm not trying to be an asshole here but this is very serious!

these other people might have been lucky, or have just survived the injuries they recieved. you could have things that you cant feel that are affected. get to the doctor or e-room now.
GWN7
It might have been balled lighting. It travels horizontally across the ground. It can come thru open doors. We had a case where a girl at a picnic was hit. In a coma for months. Go get checked out.
messix
i agree to look for burn marks... also looks like small puncture wounds, they dont bleed. look on your scalp and hands any fresh wounds [lowest resistence] any place that was sweaty.

still get checked out
carr914
I was racing at Moroso in Palm Beach about 15 years ago. The rain started and I was walking under an umbrella when out of the corner of my eye I see a bolt of lightning about a quarter mile away. Instantly sparks are flying off my fingers on the hand holding the umbrella. Never heard the thunder. I had a slight headache for about a day and a half (didn't stop me from racing) and I've had numbness in my fingers ever since. The fingers still work, but I can't play the guitar anymore.
I've never used an umbrella since. I'd rather get soaked than socked. Tampa is the lightning capital of the Western Hemisphere with tens of thousands of lightning strikes every day during the summer. I'm alot more careful around storms now.
T.C.
tat2dphreak
wow dude! I'm glad you're ok!

drink a few beers and walk it off smile.gif beerchug.gif but I think a trip to the DR is in order too!
merrill
I agree with messix, go get checked.
914werke
Ya might consider putting up a Lighting Rod outside in your field somehere ohmy.gif Better to atract it to that then to your shop.
914fire
EMS is my job and my advice is to go get checked out you could have internal injuries that might not show up till real permanent damage is done. go see your doc...
messix
Jake

we're going to dog you on this until you go get checked out.
Brent
Jake,

Bill Walton (Basketball Analyst) was hit by Lightning while covering an AVP BVolleyball tournament. He said "it was cool" and you may know how goofy he has been since.

G o get checked out.
-Brent
Pnambic
Your muscles operate on electrical impulses as dictated by your brain. An electric jolt of that size would as Andy said, cause your muscles to constrict. Its quite possible that it could cause you to pull/strain/tear muscles that way, even break bones.

If I recall, thunder is caused by the rapid expansion of air around a lightning bolt due to the heat genereted by the energy of the bolt. I wonder what the radius around a bolt of lightning is where you won't hear the thunder?

You really oughta get checked out though.
Ever see the movie Powder...? hahaha
Lou W
Jake, the number of people telling you to get it checked out, out number the ones that say that you don't need to, there could be issues later that might have not become issues had you taken care of it now. Don't take a chance, don't be stubborn. The Type 4 world is counting on you . biggrin.gif
Seriously, get it checked out
bd1308
i had wished i went to the doctor...i just let it go and now i have all sorts of back pain, etc....that didnt occur before the strike. please, if you don't go for yourself....go for your brother's and sister's on this site...do it for your friends.
Jake Raby
Okay..
Called my buddy down at the EMT station and he gets a break in an hour and says he'll hook me up to the dyno and see what I have got....

Maybe he has some sort of an addrennalin shot to pick my ass back up so I can finish this damn EFI install!
Allan
If I jumped into the engine compartment of a 912 and was able to close the lid and look out of the vents I'm sure I would feel like crap the next day as well. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Pnambic @ May 20 2005, 12:56 PM)
If I recall, thunder is caused by the rapid expansion of air around a lightning bolt due to the heat genereted by the energy of the bolt.

actually, the bolt creates a vacuum that then collapses and then the air gets pushed outward.
kind of like an implosion followed by an explosion ...

the radius around the bolt where you can't hear the thunder should be equal to the wavelength of the sound generated.
i would think you'll need at least one full wavelength in order to pick up the sound.

but you sure can feel the air-pressure!
huh.gif Andy
bd1308
human dyno? woah.....
Jake Raby
Lid stayed open!! If I could have closed it I would have!
The only thing that has ever scared me that bad was when I crewed helicopters in the Marines and had a dual engine failure!

messix
Hey Jake

what would you tell a guy who over reved and had low oil pressure and had some "funny noises" coming from one of your engines? awh keep running it, it might get better?

chances are your fine with no major injuries. but you have to at least get a look at whats in" your oil filter"and check for "bent valves".
Jake Raby
Good point- Never thought about it that way!

I'd say tear it down! But I'm going to be pissed if they say I want to be torn down.
messix
good. looks like you've got the point.

the med. industry has better ways to look inside us than to tear us down for a look see.

isnt the genral's wife a doc..... any input from her?
messix
sorry i ment capt.tripps
Rick_Eberle
God want's more horsepower...
redshift
Quick test: Jake,....

1. How many toothpicks in a box?

2. How long til People's Court?

3. What's the square root of .0191951919?

If you can't answer any of these questions off the top of your head, you are 'ok'.

Olney Il. as a 10 year old kid, I was running up the midway, and rain was falling in bucket sized drops, that is when the ground turned to a sheet of blue-white sparkles, and my body turned into a cramp.

M
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (redshift @ May 20 2005, 04:12 PM)

Olney Il. as a 10 year old kid, I was running up the midway, and rain was falling in bucket sized drops, that is when the ground turned to a sheet of blue-white sparkles, and my body turned into a cramp.

M

that explains so much it's not funny...

Jake go to the Dr. quick, before a goat starts looking at you seductively and you end up like Miles!

lol2.gif laugh.gif
redshift
No, I blame me on the time I fell out of the bed after surgery, onto my head.. damned hospital..

M
GWN7
The best two reasons I have read to go see the Dr. biggrin.gif

Hey Jake

what would you tell a guy who over reved and had low oil pressure and had some "funny noises" coming from one of your engines? awh keep running it, it might get better?

chances are your fine with no major injuries. but you have to at least get a look at whats in" your oil filter"and check for "bent valves".

And

QUOTE (redshift @ May 20 2005, 04:12 PM)

M

that explains so much it's not funny...

Jake go to the Dr. quick, before a goat starts looking at you seductively and you end up like Miles!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As stated before you could have damage that isn't showing up right now. The electrical charge could have torn your mussels in your heart or in your head causing a slow bleed. Vision blurry? Head ache? Aches and pains?

Get yourself to the hospital. Famous last words are "it will get better" or " I'll go if it feels worse"

Last two guys I met that said those to their familys didn't wake up the next day.

If there is nothing wrong (when the Dr. says so) you can tell us "I told you I was ok"

SirAndy
QUOTE (redshift @ May 20 2005, 02:16 PM)
No, I blame me ...

hey miles, i see you're a Black Flag fan too!

user posted image

one of my all time favorite bands!
here you go, "Black Flag - Best One Yet"

aktion035.gif Andy
redshift
Maybe Jake will have magic powers now.... and just by touching the block, the whole thing is treated with an unexplained sub-atomic process!

Black Flag actually sounds ok in Mp3..

smile.gif

M
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (redshift @ May 20 2005, 04:33 PM)
Black Flag actually sounds ok in Mp3..

smile.gif

M

what would it lose sound quality?

I like Flag! and I've seen Rollins in concert too... damn that guy can put on a hell of a show, last 2 albums were "eh" but "weight", "end of silence" and "come in and burn" are GREAT!!! pretty good writer too... check out "get in the van" and "art to choke hearts"
Allan
Jake,

I just talked with our corporate Dr. regarding your little escapade and he told me that about all that could be done if you walked in would be a general exam for entry/exit wounds and/or skin discoloration, respiratory and cardiac issues and possibly a blood test for CPK levels to detect any potential muscle damage. Based on what you have been saying, I myself (AND THIS IN NO WAY SHOULD BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE) would probably shake it off unless symptoms persist.
redshift
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 20 2005, 05:44 PM)

Mp3 sucks! The highend I am lucky enough to still hear sounds like poopys.

M
bd1308
QUOTE (redshift @ May 20 2005, 04:42 PM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 20 2005, 05:44 PM)

Mp3 sucks! The highend I am lucky enough to still hear sounds like poopys.

M

i HATE mp3....it doesnt do good unless you encode at 320......and NOBODY encodes that high.
Jake Raby
Okay, went down to the EMT station.. They hooked me up to some things that look like my data logger and printed out something that appreared to be one totally screwed up dyno graph! Nothing on this baby was flat and I never sawTq and HP cross at 5,252 RPM!! LOL

Anyway my buddy said I'm okay, but to relax and see if the situation changes...

So, that means I came home, gulped down a couple of Tylenol for the head ache grabbed a Peanut butter sandwich, mountain dew and went back to work on the 912...

I am feeling a bit better now but still kind of dazed and confused.. When I did payroll earlier I gave my paycheck to Brent- He thought he had a huge pay cut!

Damn this is not something I want to do again.
redshift
You just need to get plenty of electrolytes. rolleyes.gif

At least you won't need cables for a jump-start.

wink.gif

M
machina
QUOTE (messix @ May 20 2005, 03:36 PM)
Hey Jake

actually, that is exactly what Jake tells the racers, that's how you figure how to build them better the next time.

Then again, there is only one Jake (we can make him better than before, better, stronger faster.....)
Jake Raby
Yep, if it blows it gives us another opportunity to make it better!
messix
glad to here your ticker still going good.

the thing about electrocution is, that it cooks you from the inside along the path that the current travels. from entry to exit. and can cause bad damage with nerves and blood vessals.

i didn't want to scare you earlyier with this info.... if your like me i might not have gone. i dont like doctors or hospitals.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.