Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: I got zapped by lightning last night!, Anyone else ever had this happen?
RAR
post May 21 2005, 01:17 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,598

QUOTE (Headrage @ May 20 2005, 06:50 PM)
QUOTE (RAR @ May 20 2005, 06:48 PM)
You were fortunate it sought ground through something other than you.

The engine bay of a 912 with tires on it is actually a pretty good insulator.

Tires + road - Good insulator

Well... not really. The tires are of little value as an insulator. Air is a good insulator too, and lightning passes through it with ease. He was in the engine bay of the car which means he was in all likelihood touching metal referenced to the outside of the vehicle. If he could have gotten to the inside of the car's cabin without touching door handles or the outside of the car he would probably be okay. The electricity would (probably) stay on the outside of the vehicle, tires or no tires. He also said he felt numb before he jumped into the bay. Anyway, I'm glad he's okay.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
redshift
post May 21 2005, 01:50 AM
Post #62

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ May 21 2005, 12:14 AM)
OHHHHHHH FUCH!   (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

Sir Antagonist and Miles have found common ground... run for your lives before it reaches CRITICAL MASS!  You thought Jake got a jolt... wait till this thing blows.   (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/w00t.gif)

... and I just ate a whole gallon of gravy!

I forgot about once when I was washing dishes, and a bolt hit the water mains on the house... and it knocked me down, just as I grabbed the thingy to turn the water off, and a little bit later, when the sound came back, and everything wasn't purple, my buddy was yelling, "Did you see that!?"... he meant did I see myself getting blasted... and no.. I didn't really see it.. I just sat down... over there...-----> real fast.

M
+Quote Post
dinomium
post May 21 2005, 02:01 AM
Post #63

Git on a chair son, all the good stuff is goin over yer head!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 74
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Glad you are ok, Jake. That high voltage stuff is not to be fooled with. I have had two speprate encounters.
I was working as an apprentace (sp) painter one summer, it was my job to shovel the slag out of watertanks after they had been sandblasted. SO I am in there shoveling away, and my hair keeps standing up on end then followed by a REALLY lound BONG! Now inside of watertanks are echo chambers so this is REALLLLLLLY LOUD. I decided to leave, but when I go to climb out, the other painters are coming in! They said the other tanks (I think there were three together) were all getting lit up and we just had to wait it out! ACK!

Number two, my wife (then girlfriend) were in the University District of Seattle one Tuesday night and it was a full on torrent of rain and thunder. We were crossing the street under the electrict trolly lines when the rain stopped and the line above us exploded in a blue flash! No burns, but man that was sumptin!

Hope you feel better!
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post May 21 2005, 06:03 AM
Post #64

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Damn Jake Mother Nature is taking gunnery practice on you. You probably got an ECG to measure the electrical activity of the heart muscle. Muscles and nerves run on potasium and sodium. Lock for stuff that will help you replace those. Sport drinks, fruits and vegetables. Get some rest. Maybe your filings are a lightening rod (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif) .

Dave
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post May 21 2005, 09:34 AM
Post #65

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Jake,

Thanks for going to the Medic. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

Keep on the lookout for follow on symtoms and go to the eye doctor if vision problems occur in the next few weeks.

As to the hair color change, not sure. I always remember my mom with silver hair. I know she was hit as a teenager and her black hair started turning when she was 18. She was all silver in her 20's.

As per my previous military instructions, it's what my dad would have said to me to get my training to kick in...

Ken

+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 21 2005, 09:41 AM
Post #66

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I crashed early last night and woke up feeling much better today... Not nearly as sore.

Time to go jump in the teener and take a drive (crawling in around the cage might be fun since I'm still a bit sore)
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post May 21 2005, 10:37 AM
Post #67

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Black Flag used to play in an ex-catholic church across the street from my apartment in Hermosa Beach.....this was the late 70s early 80s.....it was still a funky beach town where a one bedroom apartment was 150 a month and you were 1.5 blocks from the sand.

Now HB is a condo hell with rents to the moon....

BF and Rollins put on some shows....cops showing up and busting heads....great fun....

Back on topic....Super Mex, the golfer what's his name....Trevino? Has been zapped 3-4 times....golf courses are prime time for lightening strikes and peopel walk around with steel shafts and cleets....gud grounding paths.
+Quote Post
pete-greggers
post May 22 2005, 02:15 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 3,220

your body, mind and heart are conected by nerves. along your nerves electricity travels from the brain to the muscles(and organs) and back.

if this is over loaded or sort circuited it is not as easy as replacing a wire in the car.

the effects on the body can be very serious in a good way or a bad way!!!!

The effects can be anything from mood changes to changes in your heart rate or total shut down of the organs... basically they are all over the map so the advice to get checked out is good advice.

I 've heard stories of an old man that got struck by lightning andand he grew teeth again basically his whole body regenereated it self and he looked about 20 years younger about a year later (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif) . So there are some good things that can happen. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

Take Care of yourself
Greg Peters.
+Quote Post
Duffster
post May 22 2005, 03:59 PM
Post #69

OFWG

Member No.: 1,087

So Jake... How you feeling today? Keep watching for little stuff that seems a little funky, as it is a potential signal of bigger funky stuff happening. Remember, Bloody marys are a good source of electrolytes...and they tend to take away that "used up welding rod feeling", at least for a little while. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
tracks914
post May 22 2005, 05:17 PM
Post #70

Canadian Member

Member No.: 153

I work in the electrical Industry. I have seen people electrocuted, I have had friends die from it. In every case I have seen to date, the only thing I have seen the Medical trade do for anyone is treat the external burns.
I have never seen anything else ever done (internally) to an electrocution victim.
Am I missing something here?
If you are hooked up to an EKG and have normal heart rythym, that's it. If you have no burns there is nothing I know of to treat. Later in life you will probably get severe hardening of the arteries, this is common in severe shock cases and can drop a few years off your life span but again, there is nothing you can do for it.
Maybe in SoCal you have better medicine but..... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
gfulcher
post May 24 2005, 05:58 PM
Post #71

Diagnosis: Automobilitus. Prognosis: Terminal

Member No.: 1,501
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (kwales @ May 20 2005, 02:01 PM)
It can lead to things that show up later.

Get checked!

Hmmm - It might lead to a condition that no self-respecting aircooled fanatic should risk getting: Domesticitus.

If you see an American car in your garage - that you either own or are feeling symptoms of wanton sympathy towards, SEEK MEDICAL HELP IMMEDIATELY. There is a treatment that works known as a Domesticectomy, in which the Doctor removes the part of your brain that has incurred damage and desires Domestic cars (aka: Nascar Lobe) with a distributor drive puller. The proceedure is painful, but the long-term benefits are worth it.

I had my Nascar Lobe removed many years ago, just in the unlikely event that I ever turned a curious eye towards the event and everything it embodies. I look forward to living a vibrant life without risk.

Glad you're OK.. I get light headed sometimes when a strong electrical source is nearby - for example, if I put my head next to a large computer monitor and turn it on, the Degauss circuitry activates, I get a tingle in my head. In fact, i might just do that right now. Feels good. Where's my beer?

-greg-

+Quote Post
gfulcher
post May 24 2005, 06:09 PM
Post #72

Diagnosis: Automobilitus. Prognosis: Terminal

Member No.: 1,501
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (redshift @ May 20 2005, 04:33 PM)
Maybe Jake will have magic powers now.... and just by touching the block, the whole thing is treated with an unexplained sub-atomic process!

Black Flag actually sounds ok in Mp3..

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

M

Does anybody remember that early 80's movie, Super Fuzz? When the cop was out in some swamp on a boat or something and saw a ICBM flying overhead and shot it with his revolver...

Anyhow, he hit it, it blew up and everything was red for a while.

He had super powers, until he saw the color red, and they all went away getting him in trouble...

Super Fuzz

Be careful out there, Jake.

PS: Henry Rollins didn't come to Boston this year.. What's up with that?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 04:21 AM