Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Replacing front Upper Strut Bushing, What's the trick?
BeatNavy
post Oct 15 2017, 01:44 PM
Post #21

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(jmitro @ Oct 15 2017, 10:21 AM) *

I bought the polygraphite upper strut mounts from another vendor last week before I knew 914 rubber was offering them.

Inner half seems to seat completely; outer (top) half doesn't completely seat up against the steel cup. I wonder if it's supposed to be this way? There is about 3-4mm of space between the mount and the steel cup.

are you getting complete seating of this mount from 914 rubber?

Here's a pic of it on edge where you can see the top lip. It's seated on there nicely:

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 15 2017, 02:14 PM
Post #22

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

We made ours with the idea that you could put it together in the assembly and then tighten it completely down into place taking up the Gap in between the two. It's a much easier installation than trying to force pretty hard polite graphite material in through a narrow diameter. The only compromise we could make the other direction was by making the material softer which we did not want to do.
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Oct 15 2017, 05:39 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 18,986

Thanks, that's what I thought it should like look.
Here's mine. I guess I'll have to disassemble and try again

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 15 2017, 05:49 PM
Post #24

The rubber man

The good news is you could always take a little bit off with sandpaper to make it seed in there correctly. Doesn't look like it's too far off but enough that it's standing up.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 15 2017, 07:27 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Whats the price point on these? They look great..
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 15 2017, 11:33 PM
Post #26

The rubber man

The GB will be $28 a set reg price $42 a set. I'll start up a GB thread shortly, just wanted to get the test fit in the car and some feedback. We have tested these off the car and they have slightly less deflection that what the stock rubber had, but was hoping to get some feedback on feel in the car. It should tighten things up.

We also have a few other items that we are putting together that may go with these to help your ride. Hoping to have them ready about the same time.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Oct 16 2017, 05:16 PM
Post #27

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

Ok, Mark, perhaps a day late and a dollar short, but we have pics on a car as well as a road test! In addition to the previous pictures, I offer the following abbreviated installation tutorial:

First, I got the car jacked up and removed the wheel. At the top of the strut, bend back the fold on the safety washer and then loosen the top strut nut (in my case, with a 22 mm socket). Here is the old strut mount and bushing on car.

Attached Image

Once I removed the nut I pulled the strut down to compress it and then carefully swung the whole assembly into the wheel well. Removal of the strut mount is pretty easy. It requires a #8 hex for the 3 mounting bolts. The biggest annoyance is that, on the passenger side you need to unbolt two bolts and move the fuel expansion tank out of the way to get access to the third hex bolt. (This may not be true for later cars.) Also (and this is important), before you remove the bolts take a fine marker and outline where the plates are located. This way you shouldn't mess up your caster or camber (unless you were planning on doing a full alignment anyway). Pic below is with the plates outlined:

Attached Image

At this point, if you don't have an extra set of strut mounts from a project car like I did, you'd use a press or vice to remove the old bushings and install the new ones. Sorry, no pics of that process. I did this a couple of weeks ago. Remounting is easy peasy, although it may take slide fiddling to get the plates lined back up with your marks. It would be a good idea to use new schnorr washers under the hex bolts.

Attached Image

And here is a pic from underneath:

Attached Image

Getting the strut back up through the mount can be a slight challenge. I used a floor jack to help push up. It's a good idea to make sure the strut top is aligned properly with the hold. Once you do get the top through the bushing, put the washer(s) on, tighten to spec, and bend up the edge of the washer.

All done passenger's side:

Attached Image

and driver's side (yes, I probably need a new washer):

Attached Image

After taking it out for a short test drive, I can give these a big thumbs up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) I replaced the struts and ball joints two weeks ago, and put turbo tie rods on last week, but after putting these on, the car handles better than ever.

+Quote Post
theer
post Jul 10 2020, 06:44 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

@Mikey914

Did these ever make it to production? I checked your website and didn't seem them.

Thanks,
Tom
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 10 2020, 09:22 AM
Post #29

The rubber man

They are being slightly redesigned. I will have them ready to ship in about 2 weeks.
SO yes.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jul 10 2020, 01:57 PM
Post #30

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

@jmitro

Most companies made these to fit 911 mounts. They are different even tho they have the same part number.
Some are not dished on the top to contour to the big washer.
Elephant Racing corrected theirs.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 10 2020, 03:45 PM
Post #31

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 10 2020, 11:22 AM) *

They are being slightly redesigned. I will have them ready to ship in about 2 weeks.
SO yes.

Is there an exchange program for parts that needed a redesign? Front strut bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, etc.
@Mkey914
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 11 2020, 10:55 PM
Post #32

The rubber man

Well the only part we are redesigning is the top section on the strut tower bushing.

We do continue to make improvements to parts. Any unused parts you have we will take back.
Mark
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:11 AM