Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Radio install, How to tackle this mess
erwindv
post Sep 21 2017, 05:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,119
Region Association: Europe

Trying to install the radio that I recently bought.
Attached Image

Unfortunately the previous owner cut out a part of the dash to get some gaugs in.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Anybody an idea how to tackle this mess and to firmly install the radio in the existing opening?

Under "normal" conditions, are there any accessories that I should have to install?

Thx
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Sep 21 2017, 06:05 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

I would get a new thin steel plate lasercut with the DIN opening for the radio. Then bend the pieces of the dash that are molested into shape, make a few small tack welds to attach the new plate or just expoxi it in place and cover it with a fresh piece of basketweave and then go ahead and install the radio.

+Quote Post
clapeza
post Sep 21 2017, 06:09 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,677
Region Association: South East States

914Rubber sells a radio block-off plate and a DIN sized plate with the correct vinyl facing. I believe he also has original style radio plates available, but they're not on the website yet.

http://shop.914rubber.com/Radio-plates-for...m?categoryId=-1

+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Sep 21 2017, 07:12 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

You might want to put a WTB ad in the classifieds to see if anyone has a stock radio plate so you can save the effort of cutting the necessary holes in a blank plate.

Do you have the connectors for your radio?
+Quote Post
erwindv
post Sep 21 2017, 07:59 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,119
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Sep 21 2017, 03:12 PM) *

You might want to put a WTB ad in the classifieds to see if anyone has a stock radio plate so you can save the effort of cutting the necessary holes in a blank plate.

Do you have the connectors for your radio?

Yes indeed might do so.

I noticed that the original opening in the dash is slightly larger than the measurements of the radio.

Does it mean that the face plate together with the center bolt of the radio attached to the bulkhead of the car are the only points of support for the radio?
Attached Image

For the moment not any connectors yet (bought the radio bare).
Attached Image
I imagine that the only difficult to find connectors are these for the speakers?

I intend to buy Kicker DSC46 4"x6" speakers from Amazon and install them as mentioned on the French 914 forum although I read somewhere (cann't remember where) that a Blaupunkt Frankfurt should use speakers with an impedance of 8 ohm instead of 4.
True?

Thx

+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 21 2017, 03:57 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Those speaker plugs are on ebay last time I looked,you seem to be missing the backing pieces that that go behind the faceplate...not sure if you have them ?.
There is a locating support clip that mounts on the dash ,that appears to be missing also,I would suggest you put up a WTB for those parts and get another dash plate also.
Not sure if you are after sound quality or an original look,however don't use a speaker with a high output otherwise it will be underdriven by the small amp in these units,I seem to remember they are only like 4-5 watts/channel.
You could add a small amp (20 x 2 RMS or bigger) under the dash if needs be ,you will need a old style DIN plug to RCA convertor cable,this may get you around your impendance issue also,most modern amps are 4 ohm.
Yes you will need speakers of the correct impedance if you don't add an amp.....I don't know if they will be easy to find,good luck.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Sep 21 2017, 08:49 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

If you can't source the correct speaker connectors, banana plugs will work.

You can attach the faceplate with double sided tape, then use the rear attachment point to affix the radio to the bracket on the car's firewall. That should be adequate to keep it in place. Alternatively, cut another plate of metal to use as a backing behind the cut up dash face.
+Quote Post
lierofox
post Sep 22 2017, 12:56 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 18,880
Region Association: Southern California

If the 4x6's don't put out enough sound, or sound too tinny as in my case when going with 4x6's, I combined the 914 Rubber fiberglass speaker mounts ( http://shop.914rubber.com/Porsche-914-fron...ht-914FG-SP.htm ) with a pair of 6 1/2 Alpine Type R speakers and a small amplifier that fits nicely under the dash. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMC5022
Should be able to run the line-level speaker input into the amp to drive the speakers.
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post Sep 22 2017, 05:35 PM
Post #9

Porsche Padawan

Member No.: 18,230
Region Association: Southern California

I had a similar problem, but my opening wasn't nearly as bad or as wide as yours. I went to a car stereo place and got a generic, plastic blank.

Also, you'll need to support the radio at the rear; the front plate is not made to support the weight of the radio. I made a little bracket out of sheet metal. I cut 2 holes in it and mounted one to the back of the stereo (there's usually a screw for this; it appears you have one right in the middle) and another on the car (my car had one already). There's limited space and it's a real PITA.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:45 PM