Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Virginia Teener, Two mid-engine Porsche's in my garage?!?!
euro911
post Jul 29 2019, 08:29 PM
Post #101

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Jul 29 2019, 06:22 PM) *

Have you determined which cylinder is 'missing' by pulling the sparky-plug wires?
Have you checked for even rate of air flow (air balance) on each carb throat with a UniSyn or other measuring device?
Have you checked/cleaned your idle jets?

If none of that fixes the issue, I'd go back to square one and verify/adjust the valve stem clearances - especially on the 'dead' cylinder. Perform the check/adjust when the motor is stone cold.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jul 30 2019, 06:18 AM
Post #102

Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 29 2019, 08:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Jul 29 2019, 06:22 PM) *

Have you determined which cylinder is 'missing' by pulling the sparky-plug wires?
Have you checked for even rate of air flow (air balance) on each carb throat with a UniSyn or other measuring device?
Have you checked/cleaned your idle jets?

If none of that fixes the issue, I'd go back to square one and verify/adjust the valve stem clearances - especially on the 'dead' cylinder. Perform the check/adjust when the motor is stone cold.

Mark -

* First following Tomlinson's detailed procedures for trouble-shooting carbs, closing idle mixture screws one by one to see which affects idle speed. If that doesn't help, will go to plug wires.

* Don't have UniSyn yet, plan to get one.

* Idle jets are like new. Just completed meticulous rebuild of carbs, using ultrasonic cleaner on all jets, all jets like new, all circuits on carbs open and flowing. Carbs are like new.

* Valves adjusted by Porsche dealer not too many miles ago

Thanks for the list!

GN
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jul 30 2019, 07:27 PM
Post #103

Guys & Gals - ever felt like an idiot?

After hours checking and re-checking the carbs, not understanding where I failed in my meticulous rebuild of them - I see the spark plug wire on Cyl. #3 loose! Cannot believe how well a Type 4 runs on 3 cylinders!

And can't wait to drive it tomorrow and see what it's like with all 4 hitting!

Now idling fairly smoothly at about 1,000 rpm, and transitioning to open throttle wonderfully - at least in the garage......am I a happy Teener or what?

GN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGwHtxqGs_Q
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 1 2019, 06:16 AM
Post #104

Well, it idles well until the engine is hot, then not so good.

And while accelerator pumps and open throttle seem to work well, with partial throttle positions less than half-open (I'm guessing) there is stumbling, some coughing and an occasional back-fire.

Obviously more work to do.

Very pleased with the power of the 44's otherwise - even surprised.

Do not think the partial throttle issues are due to the size of the 44's: problems did not exist when Porsche dealer installed & tuned the carbs, and did not exist when my good friend (passed away 4/27 in his sleep at 79) rode in the car just before it was parked in his barn almost 14 years ago.

Changing oil & filter now to synthetic, then back to working on carbs....

GN
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Aug 1 2019, 07:16 AM
Post #105

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Where abouts are you at? I'm in the valley (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 1 2019, 07:46 AM
Post #106

Johnny -

Goochland County west of Richmond........valley is very long! Where in the valley? Love to get together........love to see your 6......

Richard
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Aug 1 2019, 09:01 AM
Post #107

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 1 2019, 09:46 AM) *

Johnny -

Goochland County west of Richmond........valley is very long! Where in the valley? Love to get together........love to see your 6......

Richard

bottom of Shenandoah county, at most 2 hrs away (IMG:style_emoticons/default/creamsicle914.jpg)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 1 2019, 10:31 AM
Post #108

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 1 2019, 09:01 AM) *

Johnny -

Richard

bottom of Shenandoah county, at most 2 hrs away (IMG:style_emoticons/default/creamsicle914.jpg)

Good friend lives on the Shenadoah River just east of Front Royal......

GN
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 1 2019, 10:39 AM
Post #109

If I can get the engine running well, maybe we could meet 1/2 way somewhere......like Waynesboro? about 1:15 from me........

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 1 2019, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 1 2019, 09:01 AM) *

Johnny -

Richard

Good friend lives on the Shenadoah River just east of Front Royal......

GN

+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 1 2019, 01:50 PM
Post #110

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 1 2019, 05:16 AM) *
Well, it idles well until the engine is hot, then not so good.

And while accelerator pumps and open throttle seem to work well, with partial throttle positions less than half-open (I'm guessing) there is stumbling, some coughing and an occasional back-fire.

Obviously more work to do.

Very pleased with the power of the 44's otherwise - even surprised.

Do not think the partial throttle issues are due to the size of the 44's: problems did not exist when Porsche dealer installed & tuned the carbs, and did not exist when my good friend (passed away 4/27 in his sleep at 79) rode in the car just before it was parked in his barn almost 14 years ago.

Changing oil & filter now to synthetic, then back to working on carbs....

GN

Is your ignition timing right on? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9.../914_timing.htm
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 1 2019, 03:30 PM
Post #111

[/quote]

Is your ignition timing right on? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9.../914_timing.htm
[/quote]

Mark -

I confess I have not checked for several reasons - was done not many miles ago by Porsche dealer, and car was running perfectly when parked 14 years ago.....

I will check if nothing else pans out, but performance does not seem to indicate timing is off to me. Idles well until hot, open throttle of 1/3 or more power comes on smooth and strong.

Thanks,

Richard
+Quote Post
Mikedrevguy
post Aug 1 2019, 07:38 PM
Post #112

Member No.: 17,371
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Beautiful car. You’re gonna have fun with this car.we are in our second. My wife’s was the first. A 76 2.0 that was upgraded to a 2270.
Car ran well enough as a 2.0 with the 44s and runs even better as a 2270.
What distributor are you running?
How much fuel run through? Did you clean the fuel system? New rubber fuel lines?
Amazing how the fuel line breaks down, flecks off and plugs idle jets.
I’d encourage you to get the synchrometer, timing light, dwell meter. Will help you in the short and long haul.
Our second is mine. A 74 1.8 FI. Wife told me to get it and stop trying to steal hers. Okay.
It, too, is destined for a 2270, with 44’s (likely) but that’s off a ways.
Good luck and have fun with it all.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 2 2019, 07:15 AM
Post #113

QUOTE(Mikedrevguy @ Aug 1 2019, 07:38 PM) *

Beautiful car. You’re gonna have fun with this car.we are in our second. My wife’s was the first. A 76 2.0 that was upgraded to a 2270.
Car ran well enough as a 2.0 with the 44s and runs even better as a 2270.
What distributor are you running?
How much fuel run through? Did you clean the fuel system? New rubber fuel lines?
Amazing how the fuel line breaks down, flecks off and plugs idle jets.
I’d encourage you to get the synchrometer, timing light, dwell meter. Will help you in the short and long haul.
Our second is mine. A 74 1.8 FI. Wife told me to get it and stop trying to steal hers. Okay.
It, too, is destined for a 2270, with 44’s (likely) but that’s off a ways.
Good luck and have fun with it all.

Mike - yes, see the fun coming in every drive! A bit spoiled by my Cayman S tho. Feels like I'm driving something from the early 1900's...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Know nothing about distributor - probably original - car has only 60k miles. New cap, rotor, wires, plugs.

Cleaned fuel system completely before connecting: newly lined tank, new hoses on both ends connected to original's in tunnel that were thoroughly cleaned before connecting.

Synchrometer will arrive Monday.

I am a mechanic with a full shop & tools. But never worked with Weber's, but have Tomlinson's Tech Manual and am following it closely.

Curious how you got to 2270.....????

GN
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 2 2019, 01:00 PM
Post #114

Hmmmmm.......interesting......running much better today for some reason......20 miles of mixed driving......idles usually around 1,100 - but, sometimes just dies.....?????

Big problem shifting from 3rd to 4th about half the time - want to go into 2nd, grinds the gears as the syncro can't handle the RPM.....gearshift just doesn't want to make that move from the 2/3 column to the 4/5 column......weird. Sometimes goes smoothly. Sometimes seems to refuse.......

A way to tighten the linkage?

GN
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 2 2019, 07:22 PM
Post #115

ok, my major issue now is not t he engine, but the shift linkage.

Fully 50% of the time, I cannot get from 3rd to 4th.....no matter how I am trying to get the shifter to the right from 3rd, it wants to go into 2nd - and this is really tough on the synchronizer - and probably how it was weakened. (no problem with synchronizer from 1st to 2nd).

It's like the horizontal part of the H pattern going right from 3rd does not exist, no matter how hard I try to find it.

Can the shift linkage bushings be replaced like on many vehicles? If so, is there a site like Pelican that has instructions for doing so?

TIA,

GN
+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 3 2019, 01:55 AM
Post #116

Yes ... https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ift_improve.htm
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 3 2019, 10:46 AM
Post #117

Thanks Mark.......I knew it was there somewhere.......lots of the pics are missing/unavailable.....I'm a guy who needs pics.....even the parts blow-up of the shifter linkage is not available.....

I'll check with Pelican and see what's up.

Thanks again,

GN

QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 3 2019, 01:55 AM) *

+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 3 2019, 11:36 AM
Post #118

There's 4 shift rod bushing locations in a late car.

1. The firewall bushing (figure 2).

2. The coupler bushing (pair) just aft of the firewall (also shown in figure 2).

3. The rear shift console housing (on the transaxle) where the rod enters it (not shown, but easy to find).

4. The ball cup bushing where the rear rod 'socket' contacts the lever in shift console (figure 1).

The most difficult part of the job is while you're replacing the coupler bushings. The center 'pin' needs to be pressed out to remove the old bushings (or the remnants), and pressed back in after the new bushings are installed. The outer housing (fork) is structurally weak so one needs to be real careful not to bend or break it while pressing the pin out, or back in.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 3 2019, 06:44 PM
Post #119

Mark -

Again, thank you so much. Plan to dig into the linkage next week. Want to go back to the Pelican site to see if I can find, and print out, a blow-up of all the linkage parts so I can get a better handle on how they all work.

On test run tonight, engine is running better than ever - really strong. NO WAY these IDF 44's are too big - they seem perfectly matched, and the car has more than twice the power that I expected.....will detail in another post.

Getting from 3rd to 4th is now impossible. I may have damaged something repeatedly trying to force the shifter to the right. With a double-clutch maneuver, I can get from 3rd to 5th - and then back to 4th or just stay in 5th.

Also having trouble getting the tranny in 1st gear when stopped. Linkage is horribly sloppy and loose.....not nice sitting on an uphill incline at a busy intersection stop sign with a guy in a big truck pulled up within inches of your butt - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

GN

QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 3 2019, 11:36 AM) *

There's 4 shift rod bushing locations in a late car.

1. The firewall bushing (figure 2).

2. The coupler bushing (pair) just aft of the firewall (also shown in figure 2).

3. The rear shift console housing (on the transaxle) where the rod enters it (not shown, but easy to find).

4. The ball cup bushing where the rear rod 'socket' contacts the lever in shift console (figure 1).

The most difficult part of the job is while you're replacing the coupler bushings. The center 'pin' needs to be pressed out to remove the old bushings (or the remnants), and pressed back in after the new bushings are installed. The outer housing (fork) is structurally weak so one needs to be real careful not to bend or break it while pressing the pin out, or back in.

+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 3 2019, 06:54 PM
Post #120

My 914 has an MSD system - something I know nothing about, but understand is a very popular performance option today.

I stumbled across this:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/m...MSD_install.htm

So I immediately went and re-gapped my platinum plugs for .050", and there was a big difference in engine smoothness and power.

Once I did that I re-adjusted the idle mixture screws and got a smoother idle.

Now I have new plug wires to install too.....if I can find where I put them.......

I am continuing to study and learn about MSD........was at the largest and best car show in Central VA today, and amazed at all the older cars that had MSD and how the owners swear by the performance gains.

Bad news is adjusting the Idle Mixture screw on Cyl.4 does nothing....makes no sense as I've verified that all the idle mixture passages are free and open, as is the idle jet. Can't figure that one out.

I'd say engine is now 80 - 90% of where it should be. Very happy about that.

The engine is now running better than ever, strongly and smoothly firing on all 4 cylinders under load, from about 2 grand and up. Pulls smoothly like a freight train above about 3,500 rpm. No missing, popping, back-firing at all.

More than anything I'm super-surprised - and super-happy - about the power this little Type 4 puts out......and could live with it long term.

GN
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:05 PM