Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Virginia Teener, Two mid-engine Porsche's in my garage?!?!
Gatornapper
post Aug 12 2019, 07:57 PM
Post #141

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

Mark -

Wow. Everything I needed - and more. Thank you.

See two places for fuses on the relay board - one has a blue fuse in it; the other is empty. What is the 2nd empty fuse holder for? Can't find anything that describes layout of relay board.

Thanks a million - for the hundredth time????

GN
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 12 2019, 08:20 PM
Post #142

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

The other fuse holder isn't used for anything. I keep a spare 25A fuse in it so I don't have to go searching if the main 25A power fuse ever goes out again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 12 2019, 08:25 PM
Post #143

QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 12 2019, 08:20 PM) *

The other fuse holder isn't used for anything. I keep a spare 25A fuse in it so I don't have to go searching if the main 25A power fuse ever goes out again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Proceeding to do the same....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 13 2019, 07:54 PM
Post #144

Drove about 25 miles on back roads/twisties - gotta replace those flat-spotted tires that sat in a barn unmoved for 12 years - ordered new tires tonight.....

Tightened alternator belt, just a bit loose, not too tight. Gen light out now, but just getting 12.2 v, so doing the D+ to DF jump tomorrow with VR out to see what that does.

Pulled front right caliper that was intermittently leaking - bad news - cannot be rebuilt (got kits from Pelican) - a noticeable crack in the outer piston well. Now, where to find decent 1980 BMW 320i front right caliper???? Eric at PMB says to avoid the cheap $40 Cardone/ACDelco ones as the Chinese seals are no good......

Oh - washed the 914 too.....

Have now put 200 miles on the car since I got it running.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 13 2019, 08:54 PM
Post #145

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 13 2019, 06:54 PM) *
... Now, where to find decent 1980 BMW 320i front right caliper????
I'd call around to a couple of local bone yards to see if they have any 1978-1983 BMW E21/320i cars on the lot. Those years all used the same part# calipers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/call me.gif) ... then rebuild it.

+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 14 2019, 05:55 AM
Post #146

Mark -

Wow. How do I ever thank you?

Looking at parts at Summit Racing and Rock Auto it seems that 2 different calipers come up.....but the both are 2-piston with same size pistons. Can't see how it would make a difference. The re-manufacturers like Cardone are all out of cores to rebuild.

Never seen a cracked piston well before - right at the outer lip. Thinking it had to be a factory defect in the casting. Brake would work fine - except when you most needed it - a hard stop. Jam the pedal hard and the fluid would flow under the inner seal and out the crack - and the pedal would go to the floor! But it would pump back up quickly if you didn't hit it so hard. Needless to say, I only drove it in the country with no cars around at low speeds......

GN

QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 13 2019, 08:54 PM) *

I'd call around to a couple of local bone yards to see if they have any 1978-1983 BMW E21/320i cars on the lot. Those years all used the same part# calipers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/call me.gif) ... then rebuild it.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 14 2019, 07:32 AM
Post #147

This is the caliper I have:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk...519&jsn=898

Cardone 19225,

Summit Racing: ADO-18FR131

GN
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 18 2019, 06:57 AM
Post #148

With 4 working brakes and all new tires, took my "Arrest Me" red baby for a long drive last night and got her good and hot. 70 mph on interstate.

Bad news 1: Significant loss of power when hot - not good. Assuming loss of compression. Assuming she needs an engine rebuild - strange at only 60k miles. But I was prepared for one when I got the car. Tho hoping not necessary.

Bad news 2: Engine oil temp got really high - less than 1/4" from red line, and wasn't driving that hard. Anyone tell me where the gauge normally sets when ambient is 87 deg.?

Good news: Love the way the car rides on new rubber. But that's true of any car. Handling a bit better - old tires had 95% of their tread, just old, hard, and flat-spotted after sitting for 12 years. Wonderful on interstate.

Like-New front bumper & rubber & fog lights coming from DrPhil will make her really sharp for the 9/14 PCA event.

GN
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 18 2019, 07:01 AM
Post #149

TO MODERATOR:

Since it's been almost 2 years since I joined this great forum, can you change the title of my thread to "Virginia Teener" or something like that?

THANKS!

GN
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 18 2019, 07:29 AM
Post #150

Mark -

Thanks for the offer - forgot to post here that Eric at PMB had one and sent it to me....think I posted it on the "What did you do...." thread.

All is well and I have 4 excellent working brakes!

GN

QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 13 2019, 08:54 PM) *

+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 18 2019, 07:32 AM
Post #151

Area PCA 9/14 Event - looking forward to it!

Hope some other forum members can make it too - anderssj is coming.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/fsr-fa...settlers-920339

GN
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 18 2019, 09:21 AM
Post #152

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 18 2019, 07:01 AM) *

TO MODERATOR:

Since it's been almost 2 years since I joined this great forum, can you change the title of my thread to "Virginia Teener" or something like that?

THANKS!

GN

What? You don't want to be a perpetual nube? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) You can change the title yourself and as often as you like by going back to your first post on the thread and selecting edit, and then full edit. In full edit mode, you can edit both the title and description of the thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 18 2019, 11:15 AM
Post #153

Brent -

Thanks! Well, since I'm technically NOT a newbie any more, the title is no longer accurate or true.

And I'm a stickler for both.

GN

[/quote]

What? You don't want to be a perpetual nube? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) You can change the title yourself and as often as you like by going back to your first post on the thread and selecting edit, and then full edit. In full edit mode, you can edit both the title and description of the thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
[/quote]
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 18 2019, 11:18 AM
Post #154

NOTE TO THREAD FOLLOWERS:

Title changed for accuracy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

GN
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 18 2019, 08:13 PM
Post #155

Appears loss of power - and likely overheating - was due to loss of spark plug wire on cylinder 2 - for the 2nd time. Just came off. New wires going on this week.

You'd think I would have noticed missing, but no, engine was still surprisingly smooth. And still ran 70+......

Yes - I feel like an idiot.

GN

+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Aug 18 2019, 08:23 PM
Post #156

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 12 2019, 06:57 PM) *

Mark -

Wow. Everything I needed - and more. Thank you.

See two places for fuses on the relay board - one has a blue fuse in it; the other is empty. What is the 2nd empty fuse holder for? Can't find anything that describes layout of relay board.

Thanks a million - for the hundredth time????

GN

The other fuse is for the optional rear window defroster..
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 19 2019, 07:19 AM
Post #157

Thanks Jeff!

[/quote]

The other fuse is for the optional rear window defroster..
[/quote]
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 19 2019, 04:25 PM
Post #158

Ok, friends and family. It's time you all find out where Gatornapper came from. NOT my own invention! Major US newspaper gave me and a friend the name after we "borrowed" a full-grown 6' alligator.

No - not in Florida or Louisiana. NOT in the South. Indiana. 1965. I was 20. And no, I wasn't totally sober. Miracle we did not get hurt. See my notes after the articles:

(IMG:https://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac110/rahanes/GatorNappers1_zpswufwiooo.jpeg)

Half the details are flat wrong. Only I and one other guy were involved, and he is deceased, so I'm the only living Gator Napper left.

I wasn't drunk, but my buddy was...I was 'designated driver'. But I wasn't sober either.

After 2 prank attempts, we released Alberta in a pond in the middle of a thick forest, thinking we'd never hear of her again.

What we did not know is that a creek went from that pond into the largest lake in Indiana, 5 x 2 miles. And when the lake folk began to see a full-grown alligator in their resort place, they got just a little upset for some reason.

And called for the cops to find out who put the alligator in the lake, and to of course, hang them. We were facing 6 years in jail and $6,000.00 in fines. That's a lot for 1965.

The judge tore into us making me think he was going to give us LIFE. But he then showed mercy.......my first - of many - taste of the mercy of God......

And BTW, rather than Gator, I prefer "Napper" - cause we "Napped" the Gator....but my name is Richard. But whatever works for you is cool too.

GN

+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jul 14 2021, 07:30 PM
Post #159

Well, it's been almost 2 years since I posted to this thread, and my sweet 914 has come a long, long way. So I thought I'd try to do an update. Golly - where to start?

Good news on the car after being seen by a number of 914 experts (Scott Burnett for one) is that the car is amazingly rust free, maybe 8 small spots and 2 that could be deep.

Car is amazingly tight in every way, friend with fully restored '72 (both a Porsche & 914 expert) says mine is much tighter than his, and my new shift linkage is tighter than his.

Found on car when I got it: New 911 Master Cylinder, BMW 320i front brake calipers, new rack & pinion steering. MSD ignition. Had 60,600 original miles with documentation to prove it.

I added: PMB rear brake calipers & new rotors, 050 distributor, new plugs & wires, .060 idle jets in Webber 44's, powder-coated engine tins, almost all new body/door seals.

Dropped engine in May of last year for thorough cleaning and media-blasting, new Tangerine T'stat, new cooling flaps & assembly, cleaning oil cooler and cylinder fins, new alternator, new cables, replaced relay board, cleaned & repainted engine bay to original Malaga Red, new engine seals, bundled engine bay wiring.

Put in new LED headlights from 914rubber, wired original Fog Lights for DRL's and put LED's in them; All exterior lighting is now LED except for front side marker lights. Interior light on seat is LED. Planning on 2w LED indicator lights in dash - colored. The LED Fog Light DRL's turn that ugly black front bumper into a thing of beauty. IMHO.

Car has never looked better: 3 steps of buffering badly oxidized paint with commercial buffer with help of pro, coat of Meguires Carnuba Wax. For latest pics, see here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2928481

Car has never run better: Weber's dialed in another notch last Saturday. Delighted at the power this little 2.0 has. 3 hour ride in foothills of mountains Saturday produced 27mpg to boot.

Car has never handled better: did not know torsion bars were way out of adjustment, loose; now handling it tighter and more precise than ever.

Tomorrow, Lord willing, I'll get a new set of tires on my like-new just powder-coated Mahle's and pull off the beautiful black EMPI's that came on the car, but have the wrong offset for a 914.

Done? Never. Still plan to get car back to its original Malaga Red - among other things. Hopefully next time it won't be 2 years between updates.

Oh - yes. I'm in love. Like the rest of you - with my sweet 914. What a car!

GN
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jul 17 2021, 06:35 AM
Post #160

For anyone running Dual IDF-44's on a 2.0, here is the jetting I used to get my 44's dialed-in and running great on another thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2931348

Highly recommend Bob Tomlinson's book, especially on how to Troubleshoot problems and Dial-in your idle mixture screws on pp. 49 - 52.

HTH

GN
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:03 PM