Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Virginia Teener, Two mid-engine Porsche's in my garage?!?!
euro911
post Oct 9 2017, 06:34 PM
Post #41

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Unfortunately, most of the time only one, or possibly a few people really know what is inside the engine cases in these old cars - until it's opened up for evaluation.

It could be totally stock, or it may have had a cam change prior to the carb install ... could have larger pistons & cylinders as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

If it's stock displacement, the dealer would have had to fiddle a lot with 44's to get the car running decent. Maybe they didn't get it right and possibly that's why it was parked years ago? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Need to check the size of the carb's internals ... knowing what jets and venturi size might shed some light on the subject, but again, it's hard to tell what mods have been done in the past without documentation.

I agree with 'Mort' ... the value will increase with the correct induction system. IIRC, only early European market cars were available with the ICT single choke carbs
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Oct 9 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

Mort -

Sold me. All makes perfect sense.

The car now has new EI - do I keep it with the D-Jet system?

Not following all you said after "just like vintage iron....not sure what you mean by "no interest".

I'm a pretty good mechanic, but not looking forward to learning the new D-Jet system. Have a million questions.

Will get the Haynes Manual.

Who knows? Maybe some one on this forum has a unit.....

GN

QUOTE(injunmort @ Oct 9 2017, 05:44 PM) *

bad advice on the carbs from mr. porsche in ga. if you are looking for max resale and originality, d-jet. did he put 44's on the car. if you are building a bigger diplacement type 4, yeah that setup can work really well. stock motor, way too much carb. i guess you can screw around with jetting and tuning to get them to work somewhat. the price of smaller carbs will exceed a used d-jet system. place a wtb in the classifieds. get the haynes manual and have at it. just like vintage english iron, the c6a points plate is now a boyer, no interest, the magdyno has been replaced with solid state internals, no interest. well setup lucas points work better than eletronic as does the a fully reconditioned mag. which wont fail on the road. fwiw. porsche used this system for a reason and the internals of the engine (cam) are designed for fi. not enough duration for carbs. can be addressed but alot more work than installing original fi.

+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Oct 9 2017, 07:03 PM
Post #43

The PO (a former 911 race drive, even 24 hr. races) gave this car to his girlfriend - after less than 2 years, she gave it back. He then bought the (wrong) carb kit, took it to the local Porsche dealer, and had them install the carbs for $1700 in 2002 - I have the invoice. The dealer should have told him they were the wrong carbs - but the dealer here has a pretty bad reputation.......

BTW, I have my own shop, lift, etc. Do all but machinist work.....

GN

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Oct 9 2017, 06:58 PM) *

Mort -

Sold me. All makes perfect sense.

Not following all you said after "just like vintage iron....not sure what you mean by "no interest".

I'm a pretty good mechanic, but not looking forward to learning the new D-Jet system. Have a million questions.

Will get the Haynes Manual.

Who knows? Maybe some one on this forum has a unit.....

GN

QUOTE(injunmort @ Oct 9 2017, 05:44 PM) *

bad advice on the carbs from mr. porsche in ga. if you are looking for max resale and originality, d-jet. did he put 44's on the car. if you are building a bigger diplacement type 4, yeah that setup can work really well. stock motor, way too much carb. i guess you can screw around with jetting and tuning to get them to work somewhat. the price of smaller carbs will exceed a used d-jet system. place a wtb in the classifieds. get the haynes manual and have at it. just like vintage english iron, the c6a points plate is now a boyer, no interest, the magdyno has been replaced with solid state internals, no interest. well setup lucas points work better than eletronic as does the a fully reconditioned mag. which wont fail on the road. fwiw. porsche used this system for a reason and the internals of the engine (cam) are designed for fi. not enough duration for carbs. can be addressed but alot more work than installing original fi.

+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Oct 9 2017, 07:15 PM
Post #44

PO owner today told me engine was totally stock.

Main jets are 135's, which I think is standard for 44's, venturi's are 45mm - way too large.

GN

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 9 2017, 06:34 PM) *

Unfortunately, most of the time only one, or possibly a few people really know what is inside the engine cases in these old cars - until it's opened up for evaluation.

It could be totally stock, or it may have had a cam change prior to the carb install ... could have larger pistons & cylinders as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

If it's stock displacement, the dealer would have had to fiddle a lot with 44's to get the car running decent. Maybe they didn't get it right and possibly that's why it was parked years ago? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Need to check the size of the carb's internals ... knowing what jets and venturi size might shed some light on the subject, but again, it's hard to tell what mods have been done in the past without documentation.

I agree with 'Mort' ... the value will increase with the correct induction system. IIRC, only early European market cars were available with the ICT single choke carbs

+Quote Post
porschetub
post Oct 9 2017, 07:30 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 10 2017, 01:34 PM) *

The European 914's ran 40mm solexs and the early vanagons over there used the same, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) totally sell off the huge carbs and go back to EFI,you will get reasonable money for the carb setup...just make sure you buy a complete FI setup,no bits missing .
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) .
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Oct 9 2017, 07:38 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 9 2017, 06:34 PM) *

Again, my good friend, in whose barn it was parked for 12 years, was riding in it the day it was parked there and rode it into the barn - and he told me it was running fine then.

How the local Porsche shop got it running correctly, I don't know.

I am gonna finish rebuilding the carbs and throw them back on and see what happens......

Do I have to pull the engine to get the intake manifolds off?

GN
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Oct 9 2017, 07:40 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

when i say no interest, i mean theses improvements are rarely so. the efi was often replaced because it was a cheaper fix than paying porsche dealer shop time for a car that was on the downside of the curve, local indy vw shop could install carbs for less. cheap does not make it good. i bought a bsa dbd goldstar with a concentric carb on it. the idiot i bought it from insisted it was an improvement. there is a reason a gp carb is $1000 plus and a concentric is $150.00. the gp was made for performance and is infinitely adjustable. the concentric is made of potmetal with pressed in jets.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Oct 9 2017, 08:03 PM
Post #48

Totally understand. Dealer (Weldon Early?) in Harrisonburg, VA sold my '72 Triumph Bonnie originally and I have a great pic of him somewhere (can't find it) next to his BSA Goldstar that he still has on his showroom floor! People want to put Mikuni's on old Triumphs, and they never work as well as the original Amal's.

So you put a gp on yours, right?

GN

QUOTE(injunmort @ Oct 9 2017, 07:40 PM) *

when i say no interest, i mean theses improvements are rarely so. the efi was often replaced because it was a cheaper fix than paying porsche dealer shop time for a car that was on the downside of the curve, local indy vw shop could install carbs for less. cheap does not make it good. i bought a bsa dbd goldstar with a concentric carb on it. the idiot i bought it from insisted it was an improvement. there is a reason a gp carb is $1000 plus and a concentric is $150.00. the gp was made for performance and is infinitely adjustable. the concentric is made of potmetal with pressed in jets.

+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 9 2017, 08:04 PM
Post #49

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Oct 9 2017, 06:38 PM) *

Again, my good friend, in whose barn it was parked for 12 years, was riding in it the day it was parked there and rode it into the barn - and he told me it was running fine then.

How the local Porsche shop got it running correctly, I don't know.

I am gonna finish rebuilding the carbs and throw them back on and see what happens......

Do I have to pull the engine to get the intake manifolds off?

GN
The motor can stay in the car, the manifolds come off easily - only three nuts on each one (on 2.0L motors).

For the F.I. info, Jeff Bowlsby has a site chuck full of tech info/troubleshooting tips.

Scroll down to the D-jet stuff ... http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Oct 9 2017, 08:10 PM
Post #50

Mark -

You are worth your weight in gold.

Well, maybe silver, oz. for oz......

:-)

GN
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Oct 9 2017, 08:26 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

correct
+Quote Post
lvnzdrm
post Oct 10 2017, 06:52 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 15,452
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Sep 27 2017, 05:12 AM) *

Anderss - PM me your phone # & a convenient time for me to call.....

know of any others here in central VA? Have to be more....

GN

QUOTE(anderssj @ Sep 26 2017, 08:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Sep 25 2017, 10:28 AM) *

914 Friends - thanks for all the warm welcomes.

QUESTION: Is there anywhere on this site where I can find/connect with other 914 owners in central Virginia?

TIA,

GN

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) from Yorktown VA

M sent.... in VA also
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Oct 12 2017, 02:41 PM
Post #53

Can anyone tell me what these are & where they go? Base paint same red as body, but painted over with black. Hard rubber. Can't find anywhere on car that they would go, looks like bumper part.

Attached Image Attached Image

one more coming....

GN
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Oct 12 2017, 02:43 PM
Post #54

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

Those are blocks that support the fuel tank in the fuel tank recess. They just "sit" in there and the tank sits on top of them (and is also has a retaining strap).
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
Post #55

Attached Image
+Quote Post
arne
Post #56

Serial Rescuer of old vehicles...

Member No.: 20,799
Region Association: None

Gas tank supports.
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Oct 12 2017, 02:45 PM
Post #57

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Oct 12 2017, 04:41 PM) *

Can anyone tell me what these are & where they go? Base paint same red as body, but painted over with black. Hard rubber. Can't find anywhere on car that they would go, looks like bumper part.

Attached Image Attached Image

one more coming....

GN

Fuel tank supports? IIRC, they go between the body and the tank to prevent metal on metal.

Hope this helps!

Steve A-

+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Oct 12 2017, 02:46 PM
Post #58

Thanks Rob & Arne!

I would have NEVER guessed that. Tank not in car when I got it.

Gotta get than Haynes manual asap.....strap and felt supports are fine.

GN

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 12 2017, 02:43 PM) *

Those are blocks that support the fuel tank in the fuel tank recess. They just "sit" in there and the tank sits on top of them (and is also has a retaining strap).

+Quote Post
BillC
post Oct 13 2017, 07:06 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 18,667

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Oct 9 2017, 08:58 PM) *

If you're not too far from Silver Spring, MD, I can help you with the D-Jet system. I've gotten familiar with the system over the last couple of years, and it's pretty simple (and primitive) as EFI systems go. Most of the parts can be tested fairly easily, and a surprising number of parts are still available for it (either OEM new, reproduction or replacement components).
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Oct 13 2017, 03:18 PM
Post #60

Bill -

Wow - thanks. Plan is to first see how car runs on Weber 44's. If it runs well with them, I'll leave them on for now but still purchase the system from Ken so I can switch anytime I want.

It does look VERY simple as far as EFI systems go....even simpler that what was on a '72 Volvo if I remember correctly. No Mass Airflow sensor.

You are about 2 1/2 hours away - depending on I-95 traffic! so it could be 4 hours. I had an office on Route 50 just west of 495 years ago and could make it there in 2 hours - but traffic has since increased a lot.

One guy told me with my electrical background and experience with EFI he thought I could put the system in in 3 hours. If so, that would be good news.

GN

QUOTE(BillC @ Oct 13 2017, 07:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Oct 9 2017, 08:58 PM) *

If you're not too far from Silver Spring, MD, I can help you with the D-Jet system. I've gotten familiar with the system over the last couple of years, and it's pretty simple (and primitive) as EFI systems go. Most of the parts can be tested fairly easily, and a surprising number of parts are still available for it (either OEM new, reproduction or replacement components).

+Quote Post

10 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:24 AM