Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Virginia Teener, Two mid-engine Porsche's in my garage?!?!
Gatornapper
post Jun 18 2019, 08:07 PM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Dion @ Jun 18 2019, 07:55 PM) *

I’m by no means an engine guru. Aside from the bad carb you suspect, is the timing
within spec. Maybe that can help with the idle and erratic running through the rev range. Someone with greater experience will chime in I’m sure.
Good luck!

Thanks, Dion - but doubt that is the issue. Local Porsche dealer put the carbs on just 2,000 miles ago and thoroughly tuned the car for the carbs. 4k mis. ago they did a full tune-up of the D-jet system. My good friend in whose barn car was stored told me it was running perfectly 13 years ago when the owner drove it in his barn with him in the right seat.

For sure I'll check timing - but doubt that's the issue. The engine is missing badly at all
RPM.

Thanks for the help tho!

Wondering if there is a Weber guru out there who might give me some pointers on troubleshooting the carbs? Tomorrow I'm going to hold engine at 2,000 rpm & spray fuel in each cylinder venturi to see if that smooths things out - seems to me that that surely would expose the carb and cylinder if one is not working properly.

Going back to my Weber carb book too - but pretty sure it didn't cover major running issues like I currently have.

GN
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jun 19 2019, 08:29 PM
Post #82

Is there a Weber guru who can help me with my carbs?

Engine won't run unless idle speed screw is turned in so far that the idle mixture screws are not in effect - won't idle below about 1800/2000 rpm.

Followed all procedures in Tomlinson's "Weber Tech Manual" but nothing works.

Ignition seems fine.

TIA,

GN
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jun 20 2019, 03:41 PM
Post #83

Found this great site and will be going through this procedure with care.....and will report on the results.......

http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tech/idf_...nt_controls.htm

GN

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Jun 19 2019, 08:29 PM) *

Is there a Weber guru who can help me with my carbs?

Engine won't run unless idle speed screw is turned in so far that the idle mixture screws are not in effect - won't idle below about 1800/2000 rpm.

Followed all procedures in Tomlinson's "Weber Tech Manual" but nothing works.

Ignition seems fine.

TIA,

GN

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 20 2019, 05:10 PM
Post #84

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Take a look at this one too:
http://www.aircooled.net/vw-carburetors-jetting-102/

It was pointed out to me on another thread and full of good info.
+Quote Post
Aviator 32
post Jun 20 2019, 09:55 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 23,234
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Sep 25 2017, 10:28 AM) *

914 Friends - thanks for all the warm welcomes.

QUESTION: Is there anywhere on this site where I can find/connect with other 914 owners in central Virginia?

TIA,

GN

'76 914 2.0
'11 Porsche Cayman S, PDK, Sport Chrono, Turbo II wheels in matching grey, loaded
'71 Triumph T100C Trophy 500, all original; '72 Triumph T120V Bonneville, mostly original; '74 Triumph T150V Trident, almost museum condition original (I ride all 3, last 2 fastest production bike '59-'69)
'97 Harley FXDWG Wide Glide; '09 Harley FLTSE3 CVO Road Glide
'96 F-150 4x4 w/factory Off-Road pkg.

This is my first post on this site so I may be doing it wrong but just wanted to respond that i’m An old 914 guy who has drifted away over the past 20 years. Now would like to get my old ‘74 2.0 running again. I live in Charlottesville and would enjoy connecting with 914 people again.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jun 21 2019, 05:33 AM
Post #86

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

May want to start a new thread separate from this one. Introduce yourself and tell us more about you and your car so we can help. Pics are always good!

Good to have more people from VA here.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jun 21 2019, 08:24 PM
Post #87

Welcome to 914world! Great folk here, lotsa help - almost anything you could want to know.

I'm between Richmond and you, so we must get together.

Just like BeatNavy said, start a new thread and introduce yourself - that's what I did here almost 2 years ago - see my first post.......

GN

QUOTE(Aviator 32 @ Jun 20 2019, 09:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Sep 25 2017, 10:28 AM) *

914 Friends - thanks for all the warm welcomes.

QUESTION: Is there anywhere on this site where I can find/connect with other 914 owners in central Virginia?

TIA,

GN

'76 914 2.0
'11 Porsche Cayman S, PDK, Sport Chrono, Turbo II wheels in matching grey, loaded
'71 Triumph T100C Trophy 500, all original; '72 Triumph T120V Bonneville, mostly original; '74 Triumph T150V Trident, almost museum condition original (I ride all 3, last 2 fastest production bike '59-'69)
'97 Harley FXDWG Wide Glide; '09 Harley FLTSE3 CVO Road Glide
'96 F-150 4x4 w/factory Off-Road pkg.

This is my first post on this site so I may be doing it wrong but just wanted to respond that i’m An old 914 guy who has drifted away over the past 20 years. Now would like to get my old ‘74 2.0 running again. I live in Charlottesville and would enjoy connecting with 914 people again.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jun 21 2019, 08:30 PM
Post #88

Thanks BB -

Today I found only 1 of my accelerator pump jets is working, and that one not well. All mixture screw passages are clear.

I've decided to do another rebuild on the carbs, this time carefully checking each and every circuit for proper flow before putting them back on the car. Too many things are not working right. I'm learning more and more on how the Weber's are designed and work, and my engine just isn't going to run properly until I do.

The good news is the engine seems to run fine and sounds good mechanically - no smoke, actually sounds pretty good above 3k rpm.

So, I've got a lot of work to do. Good part is the 2nd time you do something, it takes less than half the time as you know the route.

As far as re-jetting, not even thinking about that presently:

1. Porsche dealer installed the carbs 1,500 miles ago and certified in writing that the car was running perfectly at that time.

2. My good friend - a great guy, who passed away in his sleep on April 27th at 79 (and no known health issues) assured me that when the 914 (owned by another friend of his who used to race 911's) was parked in his new barn, it was running perfectly - and he was in the right seat having just taken a ride in it.

3. Current jetting is totally supported as being correct in Tomlinson's book on Weber Carbs on VW and Porsche engines.

Thus, I'm pretty sure I do not have a jetting issue. But I will read the link you sent! Thanks!

GN

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 20 2019, 05:10 PM) *

Take a look at this one too:
http://www.aircooled.net/vw-carburetors-jetting-102/

It was pointed out to me on another thread and full of good info.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 21 2019, 11:30 PM
Post #89

914 Guru

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Jun 21 2019, 08:30 PM) *

Thus, I'm pretty sure I do not have a jetting issue. But I will read the link you sent! Thanks!

GN

I think it will be worth while to read the link and I think the title is a little misleading as it covers more than just jetting, including those accelerator jets. I'm in a similar spot in that I'm learning how the Webers work and trying to prepare for tuning. I do need to rejet, but the reason I passed on that link is because I thought it was particularly clear in explaining when the various circuits kick in and how to dial them in. This is after reading Tomlinsons book a few times but for some reason, the aircooled.net article and the others linked on that page clicked with me. The Redline one you found was also good.

I'll be following your progress carefully as you are ahead of me on dialing in your engine and I'm sure I will learn many useful things. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jun 22 2019, 05:28 AM
Post #90

Brent -

Wow - thanks for the additional info - will now get to the article sooner rather than later!

Pretty sure my problem with the jets is the acc. pump valve at the bottom of the fuel bowl - carbs sat with old gas in them for 12 years before I opened them up. Left one wasn't too bad - right one was a nightmare....not the worst I've ever seen (that was in a 1972 Honda CB350), but in that direction. Most jets and circuits clogged in right carb.

The pump jets and passageways to the pump were clear in both carbs, and rebuild kit included new pump stuff - but not the valves.

This time I will bench test all circuits before re-installing the carbs.........

GN

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 21 2019, 11:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Jun 21 2019, 08:30 PM) *

GN

I think it will be worth while to read the link and I think the title is a little misleading as it covers more than just jetting, including those accelerator jets. I'm in a similar spot in that I'm learning how the Webers work and trying to prepare for tuning. I do need to rejet, but the reason I passed on that link is because I thought it was particularly clear in explaining when the various circuits kick in and how to dial them in. This is after reading Tomlinsons book a few times but for some reason, the aircooled.net article and the others linked on that page clicked with me. The Redline one you found was also good.

I'll be following your progress carefully as you are ahead of me on dialing in your engine and I'm sure I will learn many useful things. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jun 22 2019, 05:33 AM
Post #91

Friends -

On a completely different subject, for one of my next tasks/TTD on restoring my '76 Teener - anyone know of a "How To..." video on how to remove the front bumper? Need to R&R the right mount as PO hit something and mount is pushed back about 1".......

TIA,

GN
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jun 30 2019, 07:31 PM
Post #92

Aviator 32 -

PM me your email address and phone number and let's get together - I live between Richmond & Charlottesville......

GN

[/quote]

[/quote]
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Jul 1 2019, 04:22 AM
Post #93

Member No.: 10,318

Just four bolts...access from inside the wheel well way up front... mine are Allen heads... big maybe 8mm tool....
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jul 27 2019, 06:46 PM
Post #94

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jul 1 2019, 04:22 AM) *

Just four bolts...access from inside the wheel well way up front... mine are Allen heads... big maybe 8mm tool....

Thanks Windsurfer! Will check next time car is on lift!

GN
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jul 27 2019, 06:55 PM
Post #95

HALLELUJAH!

After a 2nd, very meticulous rebuild of the carbs, I found many details I had missed in my hasty first rebuild, and this time took meticulous care to do it right.

Old saying: "There is always time to do it over, but there is never time to do it right!" Boy am I guilty! MY BAD!

This time I finished last night and told my wife I was 99.5% sure that the engine would start and run well - without any priming.

I was so sure this morning, that I insisted that she have the honors, and put her in the driver's seat while I made sure the choke ("starter valve") on the Weber's were working.

SURE ENOUGH! Engine started easily, and even idled smoothly! THIS IS HUGE!

Engine was running so well I had to take the car up and down our 1/2 mile private road twice - car ran wonderful!

Yes - I have yet to do fine tuning on the carbs, but the great news is from here that is a minor detail.

Now that I know the car is mechanically sound, I'll be getting it registered with plates next week, and get this car on the road! I can't wait!!! It's been almost 2 years since I bought the car, and only now is it ready for the road. I've just had too much other stuff to do or it's just been too hot to work on the car.

The Bob Tomlinson Weber Tech Manual and some stuff on the web others have sent me here have been priceless help.

ONWARD!

GN
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jul 28 2019, 02:41 PM
Post #96

I'd love to post a short mp4 recording of the sound of the engine at fast idle, but the site will not allow me to attach that kind of file?

Any suggestions?

TIA,

GN
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 28 2019, 05:08 PM
Post #97

914 Guru

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Jul 28 2019, 02:41 PM) *

I'd love to post a short mp4 recording of the sound of the engine at fast idle, but the site will not allow me to attach that kind of file?

Any suggestions?

TIA,

GN

Most people post the vid on youtube and then follow this FAQ to embed the vid in your thread post http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=97052

Let's here that engine! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jul 28 2019, 06:48 PM
Post #98

Brent -

Thanks man! YouTube's I know how to post, no problem there.....just did MP4 when my wife started the car yesterday morning.

Want to fine tune the carbs a bit, then I'll do a video.

I'm very surprised at how nice this old car sounds - having a hard time believing the exhaust is stock from the sound - but 90% sure it is all stock including the California catalytic converter that I'll remove when I have time......

GN

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 28 2019, 05:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Jul 28 2019, 02:41 PM) *

Any suggestions?

TIA,

GN

Most people post the vid on youtube and then follow this FAQ to embed the vid in your thread post http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=97052

Let's here that engine! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jul 29 2019, 07:22 PM
Post #99

The 914 hit the road legally today! Put about 45 miles on her, surprised at the handling on a car with no anti-sway bars......some first-drive points:

Engine running rough, like 1 cylinder missing. But not totally - just like it's at 1/2 power of the others.

Still did 75 on the interstate.

Seems there are some weak parts in front end suspension.......

Downshifting from 4th to 3rd is a challenge.....4th to 2nd nigh impossible......

Seems like she's firing on 3 cylinders though so I've got my work cut out for me - is it carb or ignition? Right now I'm inclined to think carb.......

So here she is idling very rough - will work on fine tuning carbs in next few days.....any input/feedback is welcome......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPK-iB5RJQo

GN
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jul 29 2019, 07:35 PM
Post #100

some pics....left left marker lens in frunk......she's dirty, will wash & polish soon....engine issues first.....("go" before "show")

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i890.photobucket.com-21449-1564450537.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i890.photobucket.com-21449-1564450538.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i890.photobucket.com-21449-1564450538.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i890.photobucket.com-21449-1564450539.4.jpg)

GN

+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:44 AM