Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
> Considering Selling My Cherished Met Green 6
stevesc_us
post Sep 22 2017, 06:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,569

Ok Guys,

I am really torn about this, but it looks like I will probably be buying a early long hood 911 in the next couple of weeks and can't fit more than two Porsches in my garage.

Yes I could probably come up with some place to store the third car, but frankly I love just being able to walk out to my garage to look at and tinker on my cars whenever I want to. Having an offsite location for one of the cars just would not work for me.

So in any event, this late 1970 Six (#2615) has been a part of my life for nearly 25 years now and has been a Northern CA car its entire life. During my entire ownership history I have also been incredibly anal about the care of this car, never ever driving it in the rain and, in fact, I am so paranoid about water that the car has only been washed twice the entire time I have owned it. On those two occasions I also made sure to use my air compressor to blow out ever little spec of water that may have gotten into in crevices in the car when washing. Since the car has always been garaged, it only ever gets a light layer of dust so all it takes to keep it clean is to wipe it down with a paraffin wax mop and some quick detailer spray. So aside from one tiny rust bubble right below the driver's side vinyl sail panel about this size of a small flat head nail that has never gotten any larger and would be a relatively easy repair, when I say no rust that truly is the case.

When I bought the car way back in 1993 it had just been repainted in its original metallic green finish, a color that to me is just gorgeous. Yeaman Auto Body in Palo Alto did the repaint way back then and I dropped by Scott's shop about a year ago and he was blown away that the paint looked that good after all these years even with its minor road rash sustained over the years.

The other real joy of this car to me is the 1985 3.2 Carrera motor I had installed by Henry Schmidt of Supertec back in 2002. The motor was not rebuilt as it was such a clean running engine with 70k miles then and still is. The engine now still only has approx. 90k miles at this time (less than 120k miles on the body). Goes to show you how little I have driven the car over the years, but the motor never fails me when I go out to the garage to fire it up after it may have been sitting for a month.

Henry just cleaned it all up with new plug wires and engine shroud and mounted my original triple choke webers from my original 2 ltr power plant. It took some time to dial in the webers to the much larger motor, but after 6 hours on a dyno trying just the right combination of jets, it has run superbly ever since!

Henry was also the one who fabricated the extremely unique exterior oil cooler location, mounting it right under the engine lid with a separate cut out in the panel of the metal with the same mesh screen inlaid over it. It works great and frankly am surprised that I have never seen such external cooling done in this way before or since. When the engine lid is closed, you hardly even notice anything out of the ordinary since it was so nicely integrated.

We went this direction on the cooling as I was adamant about not making other holes in the body of the car to run an external cooler in the front bumper like what is usually done. Naturally I also kept my original unblemished engine lid and sourced another lid for this fabrication.

And of course I still have my original motor stored safely in an enclosed crate ever since 2002! For those of you who have never driven a 6 with such substantially more horsepower, it is quite a rush to have more than double the original HP right behind you!

The car also has original deep 6's. Not original to the car, but sourced many years ago during the early days of my ownership.

It also still has its original six air cleaner housing in addition to the K&N filters with the water shield covers currently on the engine.

The only other slight modification to the car are the very subtle slight flares on the rear fenders. This was done by a shop way before my ownership known as Metal Craft in the 70's. I've been told that apparently the process involves simply rolling the rear fender lips between two rollers to give it this perfectly symmetrical curve on each rear fender. I love it because it is so subtle it is barely noticed but allows for larger size tires if so desired. I am running 215's in the rear. So it is still all the original body metal, just slightly reshaped.

In any event, I have been pretty long winded here talking glowingly about my car, but just wanted you all to know that I will be more earnest in marketing the car for sale in the coming weeks assuming the other Porsche acquisition occurs.

I would describe the car as in very good driver condition and based on my high standards, I believe that's a very fair assessment. I'm sure that those who know my car in the Bay Area would vouch for this assessment as well. I have obviously not done any compression or leak down tests, but I am quite certain that anyone that ends up doing a PPI on this car will be very happy with such results.

A couple last things I need to say. The car also retains its original H/E's that were ceramic coated years ago in a light grey factory looking finish and still look great today with no drips of oil on them. That's because the mid-80's Carrera motors are so oil tight!

Below are a few pics of my trusty steed.

Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
stevesc_us   Considering Selling My Cherished Met Green 6   Sep 22 2017, 06:54 PM
My 914   Beautiful car! Is it officially for sale? If...   Sep 22 2017, 07:26 PM
stevesc_us   Beautiful car! Is it officially for sale? I...   Sep 22 2017, 08:26 PM
Front yard mechanic   Let's face it . If you can afford two bitchen ...   Sep 22 2017, 07:37 PM
burton73   Yo Redwood City, How much do you want for your cl...   Sep 22 2017, 08:00 PM
stevesc_us   Yes the engine lid stays up just fine. I'd ha...   Sep 22 2017, 08:29 PM
Jett   Beautiful car! Well done!   Sep 22 2017, 08:41 PM
burton73   $75,000. Is a solid price for this car if it ...   Sep 22 2017, 09:29 PM
stevesc_us   Holy shit. Decided to take my car to have the und...   Sep 23 2017, 12:02 PM
stevesc_us   Here is a shot of the undercarriage before steam c...   Sep 23 2017, 12:10 PM
warrenlu   How much please email me at Warren@WildAboutCarsG...   Sep 23 2017, 12:30 PM
stevesc_us   How much please email me at Warren@WildAboutCars...   Sep 23 2017, 07:19 PM
stevesc_us   Hello original patina! i   Sep 23 2017, 05:11 PM
Cairo94507   That is a beautiful Six. I hope your deal goes t...   Sep 23 2017, 09:20 PM
stevesc_us   Thanks. I appreciate that. Why is it we have nev...   Sep 23 2017, 10:28 PM
stevesc_us   Ops! Sorry about the upside down photo. If yo...   Sep 23 2017, 10:39 PM
stevesc_us   Thought I would also add another pic of the engine...   Sep 23 2017, 10:43 PM
Cairo94507   Hey Steve: Yeah, I live in Alamo. My six was bla...   Sep 24 2017, 03:17 PM
thegoat   I would second the suggestion to post on bringatra...   Sep 24 2017, 04:40 PM
stevesc_us   I would second the suggestion to post on bringatr...   Sep 24 2017, 11:27 PM
stevesc_us   Cairo, Wait a minute. I think perhaps I have met ...   Sep 24 2017, 11:35 PM
Cairo94507   That would have been me. Yeah, the shop that had ...   Sep 25 2017, 06:39 AM
stevesc_us   Didn't know you were installing a 3.2. In tha...   Sep 25 2017, 11:15 AM
mepstein   Didn't know you were installing a 3.2. In th...   Sep 25 2017, 11:47 AM
stevesc_us   Same to you! BTW, have you decided on what col...   Sep 25 2017, 11:56 AM
boxsterfan   This sounds like a "not enough garages" ...   Sep 25 2017, 12:02 PM
stevesc_us   Here's a good angle showing just what my subtl...   Sep 27 2017, 09:26 PM
JmuRiz   Such a cool car, I've seen pictures of that se...   Sep 28 2017, 09:04 AM
stevesc_us   Thanks. For my needs it provides ample cooling, n...   Sep 28 2017, 10:43 AM
stevesc_us   Funny story about that rug the car sits on in that...   Sep 28 2017, 10:48 AM
Larmo63   Did this car come from the factory in that color? ...   Oct 7 2017, 10:38 PM
stevesc_us   Did this car come from the factory in that color?...   Oct 8 2017, 10:55 PM
altitude411   Very beautiful car. :shades2:   Oct 8 2017, 11:01 PM
stevesc_us   While I was filling up at that gas station I thoug...   Oct 8 2017, 11:04 PM
stevesc_us   Here's one more with the foam pad removed so y...   Oct 8 2017, 11:07 PM
stevesc_us   This picture is even clearer to better represent t...   Oct 8 2017, 11:15 PM
achman_73_2.0   This picture is even clearer to better represent ...   Oct 9 2017, 01:18 PM
Mike Fitton   Beautiful car only 11 behind mine #2604.   Oct 9 2017, 06:20 PM
stevesc_us   Thanks Mike. Coming from you that's quite a c...   Oct 9 2017, 06:30 PM
stevesc_us   Update: Looks like I have found the perfect type o...   Oct 17 2017, 01:42 PM
Cairo94507   Absolute beauty for sure. Glad it will be going t...   Oct 17 2017, 05:10 PM
stevesc_us   Thanks. When will yours be done? You never did s...   Oct 17 2017, 06:28 PM
914   Been following the posts.. Its great you sold to t...   Oct 17 2017, 07:14 PM
stevesc_us   Been following the posts.. Its great you sold to ...   Oct 19 2017, 03:22 PM
Cairo94507   Hi Steve- When will mine be done....well, that...   Oct 18 2017, 06:39 AM
markhoward   Saw her at the October EASY meet. WOW!! A...   Oct 18 2017, 10:18 AM
stevesc_us   Thanks Mark. I'm gonna really miss her!   Oct 18 2017, 04:32 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 03:28 AM