Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Considering Selling My Cherished Met Green 6
stevesc_us
post Sep 22 2017, 06:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,569

Ok Guys,

I am really torn about this, but it looks like I will probably be buying a early long hood 911 in the next couple of weeks and can't fit more than two Porsches in my garage.

Yes I could probably come up with some place to store the third car, but frankly I love just being able to walk out to my garage to look at and tinker on my cars whenever I want to. Having an offsite location for one of the cars just would not work for me.

So in any event, this late 1970 Six (#2615) has been a part of my life for nearly 25 years now and has been a Northern CA car its entire life. During my entire ownership history I have also been incredibly anal about the care of this car, never ever driving it in the rain and, in fact, I am so paranoid about water that the car has only been washed twice the entire time I have owned it. On those two occasions I also made sure to use my air compressor to blow out ever little spec of water that may have gotten into in crevices in the car when washing. Since the car has always been garaged, it only ever gets a light layer of dust so all it takes to keep it clean is to wipe it down with a paraffin wax mop and some quick detailer spray. So aside from one tiny rust bubble right below the driver's side vinyl sail panel about this size of a small flat head nail that has never gotten any larger and would be a relatively easy repair, when I say no rust that truly is the case.

When I bought the car way back in 1993 it had just been repainted in its original metallic green finish, a color that to me is just gorgeous. Yeaman Auto Body in Palo Alto did the repaint way back then and I dropped by Scott's shop about a year ago and he was blown away that the paint looked that good after all these years even with its minor road rash sustained over the years.

The other real joy of this car to me is the 1985 3.2 Carrera motor I had installed by Henry Schmidt of Supertec back in 2002. The motor was not rebuilt as it was such a clean running engine with 70k miles then and still is. The engine now still only has approx. 90k miles at this time (less than 120k miles on the body). Goes to show you how little I have driven the car over the years, but the motor never fails me when I go out to the garage to fire it up after it may have been sitting for a month.

Henry just cleaned it all up with new plug wires and engine shroud and mounted my original triple choke webers from my original 2 ltr power plant. It took some time to dial in the webers to the much larger motor, but after 6 hours on a dyno trying just the right combination of jets, it has run superbly ever since!

Henry was also the one who fabricated the extremely unique exterior oil cooler location, mounting it right under the engine lid with a separate cut out in the panel of the metal with the same mesh screen inlaid over it. It works great and frankly am surprised that I have never seen such external cooling done in this way before or since. When the engine lid is closed, you hardly even notice anything out of the ordinary since it was so nicely integrated.

We went this direction on the cooling as I was adamant about not making other holes in the body of the car to run an external cooler in the front bumper like what is usually done. Naturally I also kept my original unblemished engine lid and sourced another lid for this fabrication.

And of course I still have my original motor stored safely in an enclosed crate ever since 2002! For those of you who have never driven a 6 with such substantially more horsepower, it is quite a rush to have more than double the original HP right behind you!

The car also has original deep 6's. Not original to the car, but sourced many years ago during the early days of my ownership.

It also still has its original six air cleaner housing in addition to the K&N filters with the water shield covers currently on the engine.

The only other slight modification to the car are the very subtle slight flares on the rear fenders. This was done by a shop way before my ownership known as Metal Craft in the 70's. I've been told that apparently the process involves simply rolling the rear fender lips between two rollers to give it this perfectly symmetrical curve on each rear fender. I love it because it is so subtle it is barely noticed but allows for larger size tires if so desired. I am running 215's in the rear. So it is still all the original body metal, just slightly reshaped.

In any event, I have been pretty long winded here talking glowingly about my car, but just wanted you all to know that I will be more earnest in marketing the car for sale in the coming weeks assuming the other Porsche acquisition occurs.

I would describe the car as in very good driver condition and based on my high standards, I believe that's a very fair assessment. I'm sure that those who know my car in the Bay Area would vouch for this assessment as well. I have obviously not done any compression or leak down tests, but I am quite certain that anyone that ends up doing a PPI on this car will be very happy with such results.

A couple last things I need to say. The car also retains its original H/E's that were ceramic coated years ago in a light grey factory looking finish and still look great today with no drips of oil on them. That's because the mid-80's Carrera motors are so oil tight!

Below are a few pics of my trusty steed.

Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
My 914
post Sep 22 2017, 07:26 PM
Post #2

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

Beautiful car! Is it officially for sale? If so, how much are you asking?
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Sep 22 2017, 07:37 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,984
Region Association: None

Let's face it . If you can afford two bitchen cars then you can afford a new garage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
+Quote Post
burton73
post Sep 22 2017, 08:00 PM
Post #4

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

Yo Redwood City,

How much do you want for your clean green machine? More picture please. Also what did you get on the dyno after tuning that 3.2 with small Webers from a 2.0?
Did the eng. Lid stay up with the oil cooler weight or did it need some help.
Nice to know the set up for our members.

Thanks,

Bob B

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
stevesc_us
post Sep 22 2017, 08:26 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(My 914 @ Sep 22 2017, 06:26 PM) *

Beautiful car! Is it officially for sale? If so, how much are you asking?

It all depends on how the PPI goes this coming week on the potential new acquisition. Assuming it goes well, My car will be going up for sale. Based on the prices I have seen for cars in not as good condition as mine plus all the ownership history I have with my car, I would expect to get at least $75k or I will not sell it.

The car means way too much to me to let it go for less plus the buyer will have to be a true lover of 914-6's. If I get a sense it's just a flipper, I will not sell it to them. This car needs to be cherished as I have all these years. In the end, we are all just custodians of these truly great cars and we all have a responsibility to preserve them for generations to come.
+Quote Post
stevesc_us
post Sep 22 2017, 08:29 PM
Post #6

Yes the engine lid stays up just fine. I'd have to look back thru the dyno graphs but for sure the HP is north of 200, and you are absolutely right that more could be gained from bigger carbs plus a different cam profile installed. It's plenty good for me though.
+Quote Post
Jett
post Sep 22 2017, 08:41 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Beautiful car! Well done!
+Quote Post
burton73
post Sep 22 2017, 09:29 PM
Post #8

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

$75,000. Is a solid price for this car if it looks as good as you describe it and have pictures to back it up. It should bring at least that. You would want to put it out for bidding like BAT so you can get the most for it.

We are all waiting to see what happens. Good luck on the early long nose.

Bob B

+Quote Post
stevesc_us
post Sep 23 2017, 12:02 PM
Post #9

Holy shit. Decided to take my car to have the undercarriage steam cleaned to make it look evev cleaner and realized it really doesn't need it much at all!

Remember what I said about the condition of my H/E's? Look also at the rust free pans taken BEFORE the steam cleaning!Attached Image
+Quote Post
stevesc_us
post Sep 23 2017, 12:10 PM
Post #10

Here is a shot of the undercarriage before steam cleaning. Attached Image
+Quote Post
warrenlu
post Sep 23 2017, 12:30 PM
Post #11

I'm new here ...

Member No.: 21,450

How much please email me at
Warren@WildAboutCarsGarage.com

+Quote Post
stevesc_us
post Sep 23 2017, 05:11 PM
Post #12

Hello original patina!
Attached Image i
+Quote Post
stevesc_us
post Sep 23 2017, 07:19 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(warrenlu @ Sep 23 2017, 11:30 AM) *

How much please email me at
Warren@WildAboutCarsGarage.com

If you can't read back thru my initial post to figure that out then perhaps you are not worthy. Lol
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 23 2017, 09:20 PM
Post #14

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

That is a beautiful Six. I hope your deal goes through and you are able to sell this to another loving owner to take care of this terrific Six. If I did not own my '71 I would be all over this car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Cheers and GLWTS.
+Quote Post
stevesc_us
post Sep 23 2017, 10:28 PM
Post #15

Thanks. I appreciate that. Why is it we have never met seeing as you are also right here in the Bay Area and another huge fan of 6's? What color is yours?

Here's a good shot of mine glisening in the sun right before the steam cleaning today. Attached Image
+Quote Post
stevesc_us
post Sep 23 2017, 10:39 PM
Post #16

Ops! Sorry about the upside down photo. If you tap the pic I think it enlarges with the correct viewing orientation.

Forgot to also mention that years ago after the 3.2 was installed I had Palo Alto Speedometer build me a custom 3-gauge VDO with oil pressure, oil temp and fuel gauge all combined into one VDO. I did this because original 6's only had a bar graph for oil temp, no #'s, and with the bigger motor I wanted to make sure I knew more precisely if it ever got too hot. Here's a pic. All three gauges btw have chrome bezels instead of factory black. I think it just makes the whole gauge cluster "pop" and better compliments the same chrome framing around the vent levers and original blaupunkt frankfurt radio. Attached Image
+Quote Post
stevesc_us
post Sep 23 2017, 10:43 PM
Post #17

Thought I would also add another pic of the engine lid closed this time so you could all hopefully appreciated how nicely integrated the external cooling system is.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 24 2017, 03:17 PM
Post #18

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Hey Steve:

Yeah, I live in Alamo. My six was black when I bought it but it never saw the roads around here as it was unsafe to drive due to mechanical issues. I drove it briefly when I bought it, but the r/f brake was dragging, it leaked oil like the Exon Valdez and had a host of other gremlins after sitting for so long.

Though it was black, it left the factory metallic gold and was repainted black around 1972 the first time. It was painted back at least once more around 1988. I had it stripped to bare metal and it will not return to either of it's former colors. I will paint it an original '71 Six color. Hopefully by the end of the year we will see that happening.

Most people actually began to doubt I had a Six as it had been gone so long without much progress other than stripping it apart and blasting the paint off. Then it languished for years and is now on the fast track to completion. I see no hurdles that could derail the project at this point. Famous last words.....

Funny aside - I had my Six steam cleaned at the exact same place (I am pretty sure) in San Jose before I decided it was in need to way to much work not to completely restore the whole car.

Cheers,
Michael (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
thegoat
post Sep 24 2017, 04:40 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 20,401

I would second the suggestion to post on bringatrailer.com. I have sold one car through them and got 30% more than I was asking on a specialty forum for the car.

Selfishly, I would also like to see this one go through there to watch it bring solid money in real time.

GLWS!
+Quote Post
stevesc_us
post Sep 24 2017, 11:27 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(thegoat @ Sep 24 2017, 03:40 PM) *

I would second the suggestion to post on bringatrailer.com. I have sold one car through them and got 30% more than I was asking on a specialty forum for the car.

Selfishly, I would also like to see this one go through there to watch it bring solid money in real time.

GLWS!

The problem with going the BAT route or any other auction venue is that I have no control as to who will end up buying my car. As I said earlier, I want this car to go to another individual as passionate about these cars as I am and who will be committed to caring for it for many years to come.

It will likely be sold thru private channels.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:48 AM