Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> My ghetto cupholder, Sacrificing an ashtray
Porschef
post Sep 25 2017, 05:33 AM
Post #1

How you doin'

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Since I've never smoked, or care to start, this is the one useless thing in the cockpit that has never been utilized. Having an extra kicking around allowed me to attempt to make something functional out of it, so here it is.

Attached Image

Sorry for the sideways post. Anyway, what I did was to first drill out the rivets that fasten both the flap and the front pipe / cigarette / cigar tray, unfortunately it has to be destroyed to be removed because it wasn't just enough to put two rivets into the unit, it was also spot-welded, so that had to be ground out. Next I ground back the release tab that is used to pull the unit out from the dash. I cut it back just to the point where when the ashtray is fully extended out, you can just get your finger in there to release the tray. After that, I installed a piece of quarter inch Azek that I had laying around to serve as a base, also to provide more surface area for the cup to rest against. Then I drilled a 3-inch hole from the bottom which is cut through the bottom of the tray, the Azek, and part of the plastic support at the front of the tray. Then I just sanded things up, slid it back into position, and placed my cup in there and it seems to work pretty well. I just got tired of my drink spilling if I wasn't able to hold it or really hadn't found a decent substitute at all

Here is the inside, with the drilled Azek

.Attached Image

That's all folks

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 07:27 PM