Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My ghetto cupholder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
Since I've never smoked, or care to start, this is the one useless thing in the cockpit that has never been utilized. Having an extra kicking around allowed me to attempt to make something functional out of it, so here it is.

Click to view attachment

Sorry for the sideways post. Anyway, what I did was to first drill out the rivets that fasten both the flap and the front pipe / cigarette / cigar tray, unfortunately it has to be destroyed to be removed because it wasn't just enough to put two rivets into the unit, it was also spot-welded, so that had to be ground out. Next I ground back the release tab that is used to pull the unit out from the dash. I cut it back just to the point where when the ashtray is fully extended out, you can just get your finger in there to release the tray. After that, I installed a piece of quarter inch Azek that I had laying around to serve as a base, also to provide more surface area for the cup to rest against. Then I drilled a 3-inch hole from the bottom which is cut through the bottom of the tray, the Azek, and part of the plastic support at the front of the tray. Then I just sanded things up, slid it back into position, and placed my cup in there and it seems to work pretty well. I just got tired of my drink spilling if I wasn't able to hold it or really hadn't found a decent substitute at all

Here is the inside, with the drilled Azek

.Click to view attachment

That's all folks

bretth
Nice! I was considering adapting/covering the ugly speaker holes in my door panels for some sort of cup holder but this is better.
GeorgeRud
Great use for the seldom used ashtray.

However, I still believe the best cup holder is still a lovely lady in the passenger seat!
Porschef
True George, but that's not always an option.

Hope you're feeling better
Spoke
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Sep 25 2017, 10:40 AM) *

Great use for the seldom used ashtray.

However, I still believe the best cup holder is still a lovely lady in the passenger seat!

agree.gif

If only she would shut the fuck up. Or take off her top. piratenanner.gif
bbrock
Nice! I was going to try to get an extra ashtray to play around with doing something similar. Nice to have an example to steal! aktion035.gif
IronHillRestorations
I got a Beverage Bandit for our 964, and it sits on the passenger floor.
r_towle
I think that is a fine example.
A 2*4 jammed in there is ghetto
scallyk9
I have something similar in black plastic which looks like it was custom made to fit the ashtray's track. It also has an attachment for a smart phone. I assumed that someone on this forum might have produced it but I haven't done a search yet.
RickS
Talk about ghetto. I took a bicycle water bottle cage, cut off the top and mounted it to my extinguisher bracket. Holds all size containers very securely. Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment great iPad shots
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.