Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 clock repair?, reasonable recommendation
drem914
post Oct 7 2017, 05:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,062
Region Association: Southern California

Just purchased a clock as part of group of center console gauges online from someone that said it was working when they pulled the console out. It was the only one of the three (volt and temp) that was not all scratched up. It was completely frozen. Now I have 2 that don't work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I went to North Hollywood Speedo and they said "Service on these can range from $195 to $385. 1-5 day turn around."

I don't need a clock that bad....

Anyone have recommendation for a reasonable repair on the center console clock? (later model)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Oct 7 2017, 05:24 PM
Post #2

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991

QUOTE(drem914 @ Oct 7 2017, 04:03 PM) *

Just purchased a clock as part of group of center console gauges online from someone that said it was working when they pulled the console out. It was the only one of the three (volt and temp) that was not all scratched up. It was completely frozen. Now I have 2 that don't work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I went to North Hollywood Speedo and they said "Service on these can range from $195 to $385. 1-5 day turn around."

Anyone have recommendation for a reasonable repair on the center console clock? (later model)

Update 12/15/18

Based on an other user's experience, this post has been scrubbed to no longer provide endorsement of a different vendor.
+Quote Post
jack20
post Oct 8 2017, 12:25 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,099
Region Association: Northern California

PM me.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Oct 8 2017, 12:41 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

Hah! Who needs a clock when you have one of these? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
worn
post Oct 8 2017, 09:06 AM
Post #5

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 7 2017, 10:41 PM) *

Hah! Who needs a clock when you have one of these? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

So true. My 914 clock I bought from eBay tends to gain time - if only I had bought one of those watches. The brit car guys hang a wristwatch on the dash.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Oct 8 2017, 12:36 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(worn @ Oct 8 2017, 08:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 7 2017, 10:41 PM) *

So true. My 914 clock I bought from eBay tends to gain time - if only I had bought one of those watches. The brit car guys hang a wristwatch on the dash.

Under the VDO sticker on the back of the clock is an adjustment screw. Give that a go.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 8 2017, 02:27 PM
Post #7

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Just putting this out there, but may be worth a peek inside. Maybe there is a Uribe video of someone doing this. I know your not the 1st.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 8 2017, 02:40 PM
Post #8

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

I repaired a VW T3 clock by opening it. The clock uses a solenoid and a spring winder. The wore broke off the solenoid. A quick resolder job was all that was required. I imagine the Porsche clock has a similar mechanism.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 8 2017, 02:47 PM
Post #9

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

My thoughts exactly. You started with a broken clock, you may be able to fix. If you do a thread may be in order. I have a feeling it could be a simple process.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Oct 8 2017, 06:51 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Isn't there something over at Pelican about fixing 911 clock. It should be the same for 914.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Oct 8 2017, 09:16 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 8 2017, 05:51 PM) *

Isn't there something over at Pelican about fixing 911 clock. It should be the same for 914.

Yes they have a good tech article. After reading it I think most people will still send them in to get fixed. The following isn’t it.

1973 Porsche 914 Clocks
The 1973 and very early 1974 Porsche 914 clock is a spring-driven unit that uses intermittent electrical charges to rewind the spring. There is a tiny adjustment screw on the rear of the gauge to speed or slow the clock as necessary. The driving mechanism is accessible via removal of three 5 mm nuts and subsequently a white plastic cover from the rear. Initial removal of the rear cover requires breaking off a wax-filled plastic enclosure surrounding one of the nuts (pictured at right) which probably invalidates any warranty (no-doubt already expired). The clock face, needles and inside of the lens are accessible only by prying off the molded steel bezel ring. Failure of these VDO "Kienzle" clocks, part number 914 641 119 10, generally results from the triggering of a spring-loaded, thermal-solder "fuse" connection that can be easily repaired with a needle-type solder gun. This fuse is clearly identified and described on a sticker affixed to the side of the removable rear plastic cover.

1974 - 1976 Porsche 914 Clocks
The VDO clocks used in the 1974-1976 Porsche 914 center console are sealed units with the mechanisms accessible only by prying off the molded steel bezel ring. This later "Quarz-Zeit" clock is more accurate but also more prone to failure. The driving mechanism is a small motor as opposed to the spring-driven design in the 1973 models. The "Quarz-Zeit" clock, also designated part number 914 641 119 10, commonly suffers from motor failure or plastic gear/shaft breakage, rendering the unit inoperable.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Oct 8 2017, 10:06 PM
Post #12

NoHo Speedo changes the movement of all clocks to modern day Quartz Movement. On a '73, Specialty Gauge will repair to the original movement, so for those into originality its the way to go. Love the fact that you can hear the mechanism when the car is not running.

The more original, the better IMHO.
+Quote Post
914Tom
post Oct 9 2017, 12:13 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 7,526

Depending on the malfunction .
If the Clock still Ticks, maybe a little amount of WD40, applied through/along the Center Shaft, my help.
On my Clock, it worked.
If not, maybe it is consolation, the Time is right twice a day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Nogoodwithusernames
post Oct 9 2017, 01:37 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 20,051

QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 8 2017, 08:16 PM) *

1973 Porsche 914 Clocks
The 1973 and very early 1974 Porsche 914 clock is a spring-driven unit that uses intermittent electrical charges to rewind the spring. There is a tiny adjustment screw on the rear of the gauge to speed or slow the clock as necessary. The driving mechanism is accessible via removal of three 5 mm nuts and subsequently a white plastic cover from the rear. Initial removal of the rear cover requires breaking off a wax-filled plastic enclosure surrounding one of the nuts (pictured at right) which probably invalidates any warranty (no-doubt already expired). The clock face, needles and inside of the lens are accessible only by prying off the molded steel bezel ring. Failure of these VDO "Kienzle" clocks, part number 914 641 119 10, generally results from the triggering of a spring-loaded, thermal-solder "fuse" connection that can be easily repaired with a needle-type solder gun. This fuse is clearly identified and described on a sticker affixed to the side of the removable rear plastic cover.

1974 - 1976 Porsche 914 Clocks
The VDO clocks used in the 1974-1976 Porsche 914 center console are sealed units with the mechanisms accessible only by prying off the molded steel bezel ring. This later "Quarz-Zeit" clock is more accurate but also more prone to failure. The driving mechanism is a small motor as opposed to the spring-driven design in the 1973 models. The "Quarz-Zeit" clock, also designated part number 914 641 119 10, commonly suffers from motor failure or plastic gear/shaft breakage, rendering the unit inoperable.

Sounds like your clock (per above from Coondog, at lest for the earlier clock) might be pretty similar to the VW Type 3 style clocks which have the same issue of the "fuse" going out. Do a quick search on the samba and a few threads should show up if you want some more details. I haven't fixed mine, so I can't help too much, I just know of the issue and that lots of people have fixed it easily.
+Quote Post
drem914
post Oct 9 2017, 09:47 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 9,062

The hands, for the original one, that is still in the car,, work smoothly and i swapped the bulb to an LED bulb and lit up nicely under power. i was hoping to avoid taking a clock apart (I did that once when I was a kid and that did not go very well) and just swap the replacement in and walk away. The hands on the one I received will not even turn. It appears to be seized up and I doubt will work. I will try to take that one apart first and see if the pelican fix works. If not, then I'll see what I do with the other. thanks for the recommendations and options
+Quote Post
914bub
post Sep 15 2018, 06:25 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 16,260

QUOTE(drem914 @ Oct 9 2017, 08:47 PM) *

The hands, for the original one, that is still in the car,, work smoothly and i swapped the bulb to an LED bulb and lit up nicely under power. i was hoping to avoid taking a clock apart (I did that once when I was a kid and that did not go very well) and just swap the replacement in and walk away. The hands on the one I received will not even turn. It appears to be seized up and I doubt will work. I will try to take that one apart first and see if the pelican fix works. If not, then I'll see what I do with the other. thanks for the recommendations and options

@drem914

I know your last post was almost a year ago but I was wondering if you ever fixed your clock?
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post Sep 15 2018, 07:40 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 19,450
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(drem914 @ Oct 7 2017, 07:03 PM) *

I also recommend Corey Shepard of Specialty Gauge. He redid all my guages. cleaned them up from 45+ years of dust and dirt accumulation as well. Bright guages now and all work as expected. He's also a 914 World member and vendor
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post Sep 15 2018, 07:43 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 19,450
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(drem914 @ Oct 9 2017, 11:47 PM) *

If you push the minute hand too deep on the post it will hit the gauge face mounting screw, hence no more movement. Take it out and investigate that first. It happens
+Quote Post
914bub
post Sep 15 2018, 07:58 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 16,260

QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Sep 15 2018, 06:43 AM) *

QUOTE(drem914 @ Oct 9 2017, 11:47 PM) *

If you push the minute hand too deep on the post it will hit the gauge face mounting screw, hence no more movement. Take it out and investigate that first. It happens

Jim
Thanks. I found Cory's info in this thread as well as elsewhere online. I sent him an email. Looks like he charges $109. That seems very reasonable. I'm part way through trying to retrofit another mechanism into one of my clocks and will likely try to finish that as I've gone too far to turn back but I have others I can send him.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Sep 15 2018, 08:43 AM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

right now we are in the process of making a reproduction 914 clock identical in every way to the original but just not with the VDO on the face. We will be selling it along with the installation gasket for no more than 95.00 an hopefully cheaper
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:47 PM