Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 clock repair?, reasonable recommendation
Lmaze
post May 4 2020, 03:11 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,218
Region Association: Canada

Update: I picked up the new capacitors today (16V 47UF) for $7.00, smaller units than the old ones so the car should be a bit faster.

I decided to replace both which worked out well because when I went to remove the second capacitor the one leg slid out, it would been the next failure.

The clock now works great, the gears had a slight sound to them, a dab of oil and they are super smooth and quite. I also timed it for five minutes with my phone stop watch and it's right on the money.

So overall, relatively easy fix and total cost of $7.00. Again if you open your clock and see an obvious issue with the capacitors and don't want to play with the whole soldering issue, you can take it in and have the e-shop change them out. I would guess this cost would be minimum. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 4 2020, 05:21 PM
Post #42

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Nice job. Glad it's working and thanks for posting for others to learn from your experience! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
Lmaze
post May 4 2020, 05:47 PM
Post #43

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 4 2020, 05:21 PM) *

Nice job. Glad it's working and thanks for posting for others to learn from your experience! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

I bought my first 914 in February of this year and this forum has been a priceless resource for me. It was nice to finally give something back.

Here is a pic of my 914, really loving this car, it kinda grabs onto you.

+Quote Post
Lmaze
post May 4 2020, 05:49 PM
Post #44

QUOTE(Lmaze @ May 4 2020, 05:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 4 2020, 05:21 PM) *

I bought my first 914 in February of this year and this forum has been a priceless resource for me. It was nice to finally give something back.

Here is a pic of my 914, really loving this car, it kinda grabs onto you.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Feb 15 2023, 08:35 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 20,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I know there are a few threads out there on clocks. The PO of my 356 had all of the gauges done years ago and the clock was converted to quartz. Palo Alto did all of the work. I bought one of AA's quarts replacements and it shipped yesterday. I have a 74 BB and the clock makes noise but the hands don't move. It also drained the battery over a few months. My bad for not disconnecting the battery for storage. I'll attempt to repair the old clock per the instructions in this thread at some point and also update it with how the AA clock looks and works. Palo Alto quoted me $695 plus shipping to convert my existing clock to quartz and do their other normal service.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 06:05 PM