Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My '70 V-8 Assembly Thread, a few updates and pic's
ValcoOscar
post Dec 18 2018, 05:36 PM
Post #161

Garage Life

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,669
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 18 2018, 03:14 PM) *

I traded a crappy Dan Gurney spare to @euor911 for this crappy bumper. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) I had planned on using it for the Subaru conversion but it was just too much work to bring it back to something worthwhile so it's been in the attic until now. This V8 conversion had the large Renegade cut out in the front so I dug this out and with very little trimming it fits the build. I welded a couple of gussets in so the incoming air flows threw the radiator instead of out the sides of the bumper. You guys that have added a radiator know what I'm talking about. I need to spray some hi build primer, sand and paint it next.

Hey..Hey Kent

I thought Ben and I were the only ones modifying bumpers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Just kidding (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Nice job my friend!!!

Oscar
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 18 2018, 06:00 PM
Post #162

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

A few months back I attached the ducktail spoiler using Tinnerman washers and some Bev headed brass screws w/ lock nits. I was good with that install until I noticed the witness marks left in the trunk seal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image

This is what I used that left the impressions on the seal. Even though the nut was flush with the trunk skin.

Attached Image

Then I found these solid SS beveled washers and the 6mm x 1.00 Bev head screws.

Attached Image

I increased the inner hole diameter to allow the nut to move up against the 2nd layer of metal which is the outer skin of the hood we always see. The trick was getting the nuts to line up with the screws in this void.. I placed a very small strand of butyl tape on the top of the nut then slipped the nut over a small drill bit. This let me push the bit and nut into the void and onto the screw.The butyl kept the nut from falling into the void and also acted as locktite so no lock washer was required. In one pic you can see the butyl that squeezed out. If the screws need to be removed one day then the butyl will keep the nuts in place. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 30 2018, 08:49 PM
Post #163

I pulled into the garage after a 1 hr drive and noticed my voltage was 11.3 and didn't change with RPM. Ignition off and I had 12.4 at the battery. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) Dead alternator and it has less than 900 miles on it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fyou1.gif) When I opened it up I found a little ball of fuzz laying against the fins of the rectifier so I probably fried a diode. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I'll test them tomorrow hoping to find that one is fried. If not the internal regulator took a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) . It's a Delco, one wire 10SI series and the only have three cooling fins ( one long and two short) so they're prone to heat failure anyway. If it does it again I'll go with a larger series that has 7 fins.

The fuzz ball that was sucked in the rear cooling slots:

Attached Image

Attached Image

A pic of the rectifier showing the small set of cooling fins.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 26 2019, 10:10 AM
Post #164

Didn't get much done on the car this past month. The rainy, cold Wx consumes my energy. I did finally get my fog light's to work w/o kicking on my fans so thought I'd finish up the front area.

Attached Image

I traded a crappy old wheel with @euro911 for a crappy front bumper a few years back. I had planned on using it for my Suby conversion but ended up shelving it. After a little tweaking it fit the car so I cut it, welded and dolled it up a bit.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

A new bumper top and Fog Light hardware (sans the black anodized screws).

Attached Image

Attached Image

I had a 1/2 sheet of this powder coated diamond sheet so I cut out a piece and fitted it up. It was very easy to shape with multiple curves and bends. It is riveted onto the bumper and the rivets are concealed by the bumper top.

Attached Image

Attached Image

And with the black grilles in place

Attached Image

+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 26 2019, 10:15 AM
Post #165

A few more

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 26 2019, 02:46 PM
Post #166

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Glad to see you could put it to good use, Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Mar 6 2019, 02:21 PM
Post #167

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 21 2017, 07:02 AM) *
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Oct 21 2017, 07:22 AM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) ..and who makes that "better" media blaster?
Great work!
Here you go. HF must have complained because they're no longer "called out" in this ad. However, if you read the comments below the ad, several satisfied customers mention that their HF blasting cabinets were total transformed into functioning cabinets. Order the catalog; it's free. They are an Internet Body Shop supply. They currently have a sale going on.
http://www.tptools.com/USA-Cabinet-Gun-and-Pickup-Tube-Upgrade-Kit,2320.html?b=d*8012!r*PriceRange*%2460+-+%2499.99
Just now getting around to checking out your V8 thread out (rainy day - lazy day) - and also checked out the link to the gun upgrade kit. Nice addition to the stable, Kent.

I have an HF blast cabinet with 'the kind' vac unit ...

Attached Image

... but it's nothing compared to the $20k cabinet I had access to when I was gainfully employed at a major aerospace company (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

They're listing the upgrade kit at $90.00. I'm not in a hurry, should I wait for a sale? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 6 2019, 03:57 PM
Post #168

QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 6 2019, 12:21 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 21 2017, 07:02 AM) *
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Oct 21 2017, 07:22 AM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) ..and who makes that "better" media blaster?
Great work!
Here you go. HF must have complained because they're no longer "called out" in this ad. However, if you read the comments below the ad, several satisfied customers mention that their HF blasting cabinets were total transformed into functioning cabinets. Order the catalog; it's free. They are an Internet Body Shop supply. They currently have a sale going on.
http://www.tptools.com/USA-Cabinet-Gun-and-Pickup-Tube-Upgrade-Kit,2320.html?b=d*8012!r*PriceRange*%2460+-+%2499.99
Just now getting around to checking out your V8 thread out (rainy day - lazy day) - and also checked out the link to the gun upgrade kit. Nice addition to the stable, Kent.

I have an HF blast cabinet with 'the kind' vac unit ...

Attached Image

... but it's nothing compared to the $20k cabinet I had access to when I was gainfully employed at a major aerospace company (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

They're listing the upgrade kit at $90.00. I'm not in a hurry, should I wait for a sale? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

They do have a sale a couple of times a year. IIRC, an honest 10% off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I guess I should update this thread too. Between the record low SoCal temps and torrential rains I was able to repurpose the front fairing which came off the black '73 Suby 6. Rather than Pontificate a fairly simple procedure I'll list just the pic's.

Here it is still on the '73. Just a rough cutout and an aluminum flange screwed to the bottom of the cutout. A LE replica replaced it so I decided to use it here. Besides repairing a damaged screw flange it needed a scoop of sorts and to flare out the ends to meet the flares. The flange is an aluminum skeleton with 4 wraps of glass mat and then attached to the old fairing with 4 overlapping pieces.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 6 2019, 04:18 PM
Post #169

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 6 2019, 04:32 PM
Post #170

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 6 2019, 04:58 PM
Post #171

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:07 AM