Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My '70 V-8 Assembly Thread, a few updates and pic's
Larmo63
post Dec 12 2017, 07:36 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

Sounds great so far....!!!!!!

Now finish it and drive the snot out of it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 12 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #62

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Thanks guys. The growl raised my testosterone level by a factor of 5. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) And Kevin, I have the Horn Pad; just not going on until carpet goes in. I won't even tighten the steering wheel until the last thing. I like to remove it for the access. Thanks though. I ordered the exhaust parts tonight so it will be a little quieter next time. Once I get the brakes operational I'll take it around the block. I am looking for a knee pad if anyone has a lead on one. I just noticed there isn't a hole for the antenna so I may just skip the radio/stereo addition. The door cards aren't drilled for any speakers either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Figured out why the fans didn't come on. I forgot to put the fuses in. Second time I've done that in as many cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I figure 8-10 more weeks and I should be finished. What do ya'll think the going rate for a car like this would be on eBay? I'm thinking the proceeds from this one will finance my next project this summer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
post Dec 13 2017, 11:18 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 17,275

I love the way you mounted the radiator. The shroud and plenum look excellent too.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Dec 13 2017, 12:44 PM
Post #64

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 12 2017, 07:19 PM) *

Thanks guys. The growl raised my testosterone level by a factor of 5. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) And Kevin, I have the Horn Pad; just not going on until carpet goes in. I won't even tighten the steering wheel until the last thing. I like to remove it for the access. Thanks though. I ordered the exhaust parts tonight so it will be a little quieter next time. Once I get the brakes operational I'll take it around the block. I am looking for a knee pad if anyone has a lead on one. I just noticed there isn't a hole for the antenna so I may just skip the radio/stereo addition. The door cards aren't drilled for any speakers either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Figured out why the fans didn't come on. I forgot to put the fuses in. Second time I've done that in as many cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I figure 8-10 more weeks and I should be finished. What do ya'll think the going rate for a car like this would be on eBay? I'm thinking the proceeds from this one will finance my next project this summer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I knew you where going to dig the sound. Just wait for the feeling of the torque! Try for 4times what you paid. I have seen them go for all kings of different money. I guy would have to think how much it would cost him to build one and at $20,000
It may be a right number. Then a guy that has cash and that may not be a big deal for him may just want to roll right now. You could try for more. Who knows as parts and cars are going up, up, up!

Back in 79 I had one and sold it for $10,500 as I kept lowering the price. The guy that bought it said he would of paid $12,500 as it was going to cost $20,000 to convert his 912 over. Now at renegade it is super bucks. It was all timing. In cars as in life. Timing is everything.

Bob B
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 13 2017, 06:31 PM
Post #65

QUOTE(914350 @ Dec 13 2017, 09:18 AM) *

I love the way you mounted the radiator. The shroud and plenum look excellent too.

Thx Kent. Coming from you I'll take that as a big compliment. Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 13 2017, 06:34 PM
Post #66

QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 13 2017, 10:44 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 12 2017, 07:19 PM) *

I knew you where going to dig the sound. Just wait for the feeling of the torque! Try for 4times what you paid. I have seen them go for all kings of different money. I guy would have to think how much it would cost him to build one and at $20,000
It may be a right number. Then a guy that has cash and that may not be a big deal for him may just want to roll right now. You could try for more. Who knows as parts and cars are going up, up, up!

Back in 79 I had one and sold it for $10,500 as I kept lowering the price. The guy that bought it said he would of paid $12,500 as it was going to cost $20,000 to convert his 912 over. Now at renegade it is super bucks. It was all timing. In cars as in life. Timing is everything.

Bob B

Thx Bob. I had no idea since I've only bought them and never sold one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) And absolutely no idea with a V8 conversion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 13 2017, 07:13 PM
Post #67

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

I believe it is way too early to determine value...the car has to be finished near 100% so everyone can see what we what we would be price-guessing. Enjoy the car; be safe in doing so; finish to the highest levels you can; and finally let the chips fall where they may.

Tony

PS: Regarding the 4x paid...really? I have done well on some cars over the decades - far better than most and I doubt I have ever seen a return of greater than 1x - at best. Good luck with that...
+Quote Post
burton73
post Dec 13 2017, 07:58 PM
Post #68

burton73

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 13 2017, 05:13 PM) *

I believe it is way too early to determine value...the car has to be finished near 100% so everyone can see what we what we would be price-guessing. Enjoy the car; be safe in doing so; finish to the highest levels you can; and finally let the chips fall where they may.

Tony

PS: Regarding the 4x paid...really? I have done well on some cars over the decades - far better than most and I doubt I have ever seen a return of greater than 1x - at best. Good luck with that...

A lot of times it is what the market will bear.
I said that because I think he paid 5,000 plus for her.

So you are right but one can guess. Just because he got a great deal does not mean he can not get fare market value. Timing is everything. A year ago I was going to blow out my V8 car with fresh mod/cooled 930 trans for $8,000. Happy I did not sell it. The trans is worth that. One of our guys sold his V8 with 930 trans for like $5,000 after he had a small electoral mishap. Timing

I only say that because I make Egg Timers.

Bob B

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 13 2017, 08:03 PM
Post #69

Advanced Member

Ok. With that logic...why stop at 4x? Kent - go for 8x... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If your intent is to flip it I hope you do the best you can! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Tony
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 14 2017, 09:13 AM
Post #70

Who knows? I certainly don't. The interior should be nice as it will have the new windshield, new dash, carpets, dash face, new mirrors and newly recovered seats. Most likely will need some aftermarket seat belts but those would be new as well. What are your thoughts on a radio delete as far as resale? Currently the fender is not drilled for the antenna. Mufflers and related parts are due in today and hopefully I can get that all fabricated Saturday. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Headed to Austin for the holidays so there won't be any progress until after the New Year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Dec 14 2017, 09:27 AM
Post #71

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

A sorted v8 car in good condition is between 10-15 with the mods you have. It all depends on how nice the car really is. I had a lot of interest in the narrow body car at about 9k, Seller has it on hold for the past 6 months but still, I had 4 buyers on the line when he put me on hold around that price.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 14 2017, 09:41 AM
Post #72

Advanced Member

Anyone wanting a radio in that car should not be allowed to own it...I am obviously not a fan of sound systems in what I believe are "drivers cars". The "soundtrack" is built in...now if it were a SIX, maybe... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Not that I follow these cars (I do notl) but the most expensive 901/SBC 914 I ever saw sold went for 18.5 (back in '09l). That car was exceedingly clean with a brand-new crate motor.

Tony
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Dec 14 2017, 10:07 AM
Post #73

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) don't fret about a radio.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 14 2017, 07:16 PM
Post #74

So I'm killing time waiting on the mufflers to arrive and thought I'd take a look as to why the fog lights weren't working. It was one of the last things on my electrical "to do" list. I pop the relay and it tested OK. I had 12.37v at #30's socket so I jumped it with #87 and the lights, well one of them, came to life. I assume the other one has a bad bulb or connection but I could at least confirm that there was a good wire going to the fog light harness. Since the relay tested OK I knew it had to be that the coil side wasn't closing, i.e. a bad ground or voltage not reaching it. So I turn on the lights and check for voltage at #85. 12.37v, good. But no ground at #86. Traced it and the ground was indeed good but when I turned on the fog lamp switch I had voltage on pin #86. Voltage on both sides (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) . So I pull the fog lamp switch only to find that 2 of the 3 wires were crossed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) I placed them on the correct spades and confirmed all of the light switch terminals were correctly attached as well. Pulled the fog switch to on again and what the Hell? No lights and now my fans are kicking on to boot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Pulled the switch again and began to ohm it out. One tab is getting a semi continuity so I ordered one from Bruce today. For the life of me I don't know why the fan controller was energized but I'll wait for the replacement switch before going berserk. There are 2 things I will try if this isn't the problem. 1 is to replace the defective brake switch (currently it is pulled and not connected but it was in place prior to this episode) or reconnect the old blue wire that goes to the generator idiot light. I cut that blue wire close to the fuse panel and used it to connect my temp sender to the fan controller and quad gage. This is the wire that has the diode up at the gage and I may have screwed that circuit up when I cut it. I won't be using that light since I have a single wire alternator i.e. the regulator is internal. It's easy enough to reconnect it and run a new dedicated wire back to the temp sender. Just last week I told Spoke I was a little weary about cutting that wire from the circuit because I didn't know if it could manifest itself into a Gremlin or not. Maybe I should have followed my Gut feeling. Again, I'll wait for the Brake and Fog light switch replacements and if those don't help I'll run a new dedicated line. If that doesn't help I either shit can the fog lights or remove them from the light switch and create a dedicated circuit for them. As far as I can tell, on the #53 relay, #85 receives power from fuse #1 and the Fog lamp switch merely grounds the the relay's coil. If I going at it bass ackwards please advise. On a positive note the mufflers arrived today so I'll have something to do while I await those 2 switches. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
burton73
post Dec 14 2017, 10:32 PM
Post #75

burton73

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 14 2017, 07:41 AM) *

Anyone wanting a radio in that car should not be allowed to own it...I am obviously not a fan of sound systems in what I believe are "drivers cars". The "soundtrack" is built in...now if it were a SIX, maybe... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Not that I follow these cars (I do notl) but the most expensive 901/SBC 914 I ever saw sold went for 18.5 (back in '09l). That car was exceedingly clean with a brand-new crate motor.

Tony

I saw one go for $25,000 not too long ago. A trick car.

Bob B
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Dec 16 2017, 03:35 PM
Post #76

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 14 2017, 07:41 AM) *

Tony

Says a guy that tows his car from inside a quiet truck with a radio (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) It's for the long trips (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 16 2017, 07:40 PM
Post #77

I've decided to complete this 914 w/o a radio. Got to thinking about it and Tony has a point. Besides, I wouldn't be able to hear it anyway. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Can someone post a pic and dimensions for a radio block off plate so I can make one. TIA Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Dec 16 2017, 08:57 PM
Post #78

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 16 2017, 05:40 PM) *

I've decided to complete this 914 w/o a radio. Got to thinking about it and Tony has a point. Besides, I wouldn't be able to hear it anyway. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Can someone post a pic and dimensions for a radio block off plate so I can make one. TIA Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I have used a DIN size pocket/storage bin. Like one would see under the stereo of a 90s Japanese car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
The pocket from a 968/944 will work too with a little plastic trimming, plus it has a clock that sometimes works.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 19 2017, 09:22 PM
Post #79

Thx Chris. I've since discovered that 914rubber makes a block off plate w/ appropriate vinyl for 25 bucks. Hard to pass that up.

I finally have the brakes working. I never had this much trouble getting the brakes to work but then again I've never had a 914 with an entirely new barking system. I've always been able to bleed a system using slave labor on the brake pedal or the "long tube method' or a Mighty Pump pull down. Not this time. I used the Mighty Pump to pull fluid to all the calipers until no bubbles were present. That didn't do a thing. Then I realized that the new master cylinder wasn't bench bleed before hand so I broke fittings apart and bleed it in place. Nothing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Pulled fluid thru again with the Mighty Pump and still nothing. Pumped the brake using the "long tube" method till the lines were clear and still nothing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I thought maybe the MC was used so I asked Bob and he said it was new so I ruled out a torn cup seal in the MC. I ordered a set of speed bleeders and attacked it again. The right rear required a little over 500 pumps before the line quit passing tiny, tiny bubbles. I shit you not. On each caliper bleed I didn't move on to the next caliper until the line was perfectly clear for 25 pumps. Approximately 200 pumps on the left rear, 300 on the right front and 100 on the left front. As I said these were tiny bubbles but enough that the reservoir was half empty by the time I'd finished. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 4 2018, 11:32 AM
Post #80

I don't know how people get anything done on their conversion if they don't work on them daily. I didn't touch mine for two weeks because of the Holidays & and related travels. I went out to the garage last nite and just stared at it. Couldn't get the motion going whereas if I work on it a little every day I can immediately pick up where I left off. Be it a 20 min session or an 8 hour session.
Since I have the brakes working and an exhaust system in place it's time to address the 1st gear issue with the transmission. Bob said it was rebuilt at one of Dr Evil's clinics but he skipped installing a new synchro on 1st. Hope I don't discover it's the more expensive 1st gear slider. However, I've decided to surprise my son in Tx with this car and want him to have a fully functional transmission. I'd thought about giving him the Subaru conversion but if he had a mechanic that wasn't willing to spend extra time figuring out how the old and new electronics were married then the car might sit and rot should he encounter any problems. This car with the old school carb, mechanical fuel pump, etc can be serviced by most mechanics. Besides, he is young enough to enjoy this type car. Flashy and loud. A steroid emitting Hot Rod! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
So, next up is the transmission repair and installing an interior. I'll post a few pics next time.
Hope all of you guys had a great Christmas and New Years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:43 PM