Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 123 Distributor Group Buy Thread, Replacement for NLA stock Dizzy's-Order 15 % Discount
Millerwelds
post Nov 27 2017, 01:20 PM
Post #241

Pleepleus

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,206
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 27 2017, 08:37 AM) *

Vacuum ports on a distributor should never be capped. On any car. Ever.

Either left open, or connected via a hose to the intake/plenum/wherever.

Never capped.

No really. Never. Spread the word.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

To clarify in my case the ports on the throttle body are capped. The port on the dizzy is not.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Millerwelds
post Nov 27 2017, 01:40 PM
Post #242

Pleepleus

Member No.: 9,206

QUOTE(914_teener @ Nov 26 2017, 07:33 PM) *

Why didn't you choose setting B? I have a 1.7 and I used setting 2 according to the Bosch part No. chart.

In referencing https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetparts.htm
It shows Porsche part # 039 905 205 A as the correct dizzy for my car (mine had been replaced by a different unit previously) and 0 231 174 011 as the Bosch part number

The 123 manual shows both switch 2 and switch B as being for the Bosch 0 231 174 011.
Both show the same advance start of 1000 and max advance of 2700/22,0.

I took that to mean the 2 setting use the same curve and the only difference is if the vacuum is positive or negative. Since I am not planning on using the vacuum port I assumed I could use either setting with the same results...

I am no expert by any means so if I am missing something I'd love to hear it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
123ignitionusa
post Nov 27 2017, 08:04 PM
Post #243

Member No.: 19,587
Region Association: North East States

Hey Good News
All orders but four hit the post today...Unfortunately Fedex lost 13 units out of the boxes coming with the Group Buy Order. I filled the purchases in the order in which they were placed. Unfortunately there are four who have been notified that they will experience a delay until I can get the lost units replaced. Unless you got an email your unit has been shipped. Thanks so much! I will try to expedite this debacle and keep those informed when I know more. Any questions feel free to call or text Ed 440-668-8164
Hope this helps (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Ed
+Quote Post
123ignitionusa
post Nov 27 2017, 08:11 PM
Post #244

QUOTE(JMT @ Nov 27 2017, 12:36 AM) *

Just to confirm, you don't need to relocate oil line, you can see the clearance in one of my pics, However, I did have to file away a little of the fan shroud near the base of the dizzy. I couldn't get it to sit flush on the case. The washer/spacer on the 123 is a little bigger than a stock dizzy shaft.

JMT
Do you have the OD of the stock dizzy where you had to file away?
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Nov 27 2017, 08:17 PM
Post #245

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Nov 27 2017, 11:40 AM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Nov 26 2017, 07:33 PM) *

Why didn't you choose setting B? I have a 1.7 and I used setting 2 according to the Bosch part No. chart.

In referencing https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetparts.htm
It shows Porsche part # 039 905 205 A as the correct dizzy for my car (mine had been replaced by a different unit previously) and 0 231 174 011 as the Bosch part number

The 123 manual shows both switch 2 and switch B as being for the Bosch 0 231 174 011.
Both show the same advance start of 1000 and max advance of 2700/22,0.

I took that to mean the 2 setting use the same curve and the only difference is if the vacuum is positive or negative. Since I am not planning on using the vacuum port I assumed I could use either setting with the same results...

I am no expert by any means so if I am missing something I'd love to hear it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Well I noticed that and I was wondering because this dizzy will eventually be going on a 2.0 with a 74 D-jet setup. Right now it is running flawlessly on setting 1 on a 1.7. I mistakenly posted it was on 2. It is set on 1. Too much holiday cheer I quess.

A little research has gleaned this, mostly from this site. Which port to use off the TB, advance or retard. On the 1.7 I used only the advance port off the TB as that is how I interpreted the table even though the distributor it replaced had a combination vacuum can. I just plugged the hose on the PLENUM side, NOT the dizzy side. Oh...BTW...NEVER plug the nipple on the dizzy side......spreading the word, although it would be nice to lnow why (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

So with that being said, I have a TB with two ports one for advance and one for retard. I would assume for the 2.0 build I would also use the advance port for the dizzy vac port.

I can only assume that you would use the letter setting when you had only the retard port on the TB? Maybe someone can confirm.

I can confirm this with the advent of our Thanksgiving heat wave here in So Cal. In 96 deg heat uphill on part load and at cruise there were no issues with pinging or other issues.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 27 2017, 09:45 PM
Post #246

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

On the stock distributors, you don't plug the ports on the distributor dashpot (vacuum thingie) because that keeps the diaphragm inside the dashpot from moving as freely as it is supposed to.

When the factory discontinued the vacuum advance on the 914, they ran a hose from that fitting down under the plenum, and left it disconnected. The hose seems to have been used mostly to keep people from freaking out about a bare fitting...

--DD
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Nov 27 2017, 10:33 PM
Post #247

914 Guru

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 27 2017, 07:45 PM) *

On the stock distributors, you don't plug the ports on the distributor dashpot (vacuum thingie) because that keeps the diaphragm inside the dashpot from moving as freely as it is supposed to.

When the factory discontinued the vacuum advance on the 914, they ran a hose from that fitting down under the plenum, and left it disconnected. The hose seems to have been used mostly to keep people from freaking out about a bare fitting...

--DD

Thanks Dave. Of course. It would freeze or limit the advance plate so it wouldn't move as much from the centrifugal advance.

This could be troublesome. Holiday cheer IS wearing off.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Nov 27 2017, 10:41 PM
Post #248

914 Guru

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 27 2017, 07:45 PM) *

--DD

...you mean a bare nipple.
+Quote Post
post Nov 27 2017, 10:45 PM
Post #249

Michael in Seattle

Member No.: 21,495
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Soooo close. Still hoping some kind soul would be willing to help me with this:
QUOTE(98101 @ Nov 26 2017, 04:17 PM) *

3) As I understand it, the Bluetooth version arrives with an empty brain. Would anyone else with a similar engine as mine (2270, Dellorto 45s, Web hot street cam, cool Pacific NW climate a little above sea level) be willing to share your configuration tables with me?

or at least tables that would work the same as my 009 until I can optimize them?
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Nov 27 2017, 11:25 PM
Post #250

914 Guru

QUOTE(98101 @ Nov 27 2017, 08:45 PM) *

Soooo close. Still hoping some kind soul would be willing to help me with this:
QUOTE(98101 @ Nov 26 2017, 04:17 PM) *

3) As I understand it, the Bluetooth version arrives with an empty brain. Would anyone else with a similar engine as mine (2270, Dellorto 45s, Web hot street cam, cool Pacific NW climate a little above sea level) be willing to share your configuration tables with me?

or at least tables that would work the same as my 009 until I can optimize them?

This thread has some good info.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=319841
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 28 2017, 07:59 AM
Post #251

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Yup, Dave's got it.

The vacuum chambers (of any sort) are obviously sealed, except for the port/tube. When you apply vacuum to the chamber, it pulls the advance mechanism. When you leave the port open and disconnected, changes in the advance mechanism (because of centrifugal advance) will essentially work backwards down to the vacuum diaphragm. These movements of the vacuum diaphragm force air in and out of the vacuum chamber. If the port is plugged, you're restricting that movement because not the vacuum chamber is sealed and it become a pressure chamber. That pressure buildup can have erratic effects on timing as the air pressure tries to force the advance mechanism back.

Maybe this would be clearer. If you take a plastic soda bottle, and you cap it, you can't squeeze it like you can if it's not capped. The vacuum advance mechanism is meant to move, so if you cap it you're stopping or reducing the movement of the whole advance mechanism.
+Quote Post
post Nov 28 2017, 12:12 PM
Post #252

Michael in Seattle

QUOTE(123ignitionusa @ Nov 19 2017, 05:43 PM) *

QUOTE(rfinegan @ Nov 18 2017, 03:27 PM) *

I wish I got in on the buy before I realized i need one of these...any chance for another group buy for black Friday special?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

For those who missed out use 914world5 for a 5% discount. If your group reaches 5 units then 10%. Offer expires Dec 3rd.
Hope this helpEd

OK, I placed my order. Looks like we're still in 5% discount territory.

I didn't order the coil because the car already has a 2010 Pertronix "Flame Thrower." Let me know if this wouldn't work.

If anyone's in the Seattle area and wants to make sure I don't screw up the install, I'll be happy to drive to your place (on a less rainy day... car isn't set up for rain).

I'm guessing my car has issues beyond ignition timing but maybe easier to fix those things with decent timing set up.

--Michael, novice in Seattle
+Quote Post
rfinegan
post Nov 28 2017, 12:53 PM
Post #253

Member No.: 15,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I hope to get my order in right before the deadline this week end...
+Quote Post
123ignitionusa
post Nov 28 2017, 09:33 PM
Post #254

For those replacing the Bosch 009 here is the curve for that. It is from the TUNE Software but the values can be loaded into your Bluetooth. It will be a good starting point. No vacuum on this curve
http://123ignitionusa.com/content/Example5.xml
Here is a link to the download curves page. Somewhat limited but there is one near the bottom for an 009 with vacuum too.
So far only one on the next group buy.
Hope this helps
Ed
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 28 2017, 09:45 PM
Post #255

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

QUOTE(914_teener @ Nov 27 2017, 08:41 PM) *
...you mean a bare nipple.

HEY! Take that to the Sandbox!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)

--DD
+Quote Post
stevend914
post Nov 29 2017, 02:05 PM
Post #256

Member No.: 20,670
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(123ignitionusa @ Nov 27 2017, 08:04 PM) *

Hey Good News
All orders but four hit the post today...Unfortunately Fedex lost 13 units out of the boxes coming with the Group Buy Order. I filled the purchases in the order in which they were placed. Unfortunately there are four who have been notified that they will experience a delay until I can get the lost units replaced. Unless you got an email your unit has been shipped. Thanks so much! I will try to expedite this debacle and keep those informed when I know more. Any questions feel free to call or text Ed 440-668-8164
Hope this helps (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Ed

One of the four - oh well - I wasn't in a hurry anyway
+Quote Post
pete000
post Nov 29 2017, 04:59 PM
Post #257

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

Interesting that the Richie Ginther 914-4 modified the stock distributor by removing the vacuum canister altogether.

Also removed the FI harness due to Carb conversion.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
post Nov 29 2017, 05:44 PM
Post #258

Michael in Seattle

QUOTE(pete000 @ Nov 29 2017, 02:59 PM) *

Interesting that the Richie Ginther 914-4 modified the stock distributor by removing the vacuum canister altogether.

I thought it might be useful to experiment with vacuum advance, but Mark Henry suggests it might not be useful for my carb and cam set up.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2552875
+Quote Post
BillC
post Dec 5 2017, 06:33 PM
Post #259

Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Curve 1 or curve A?

I have a '73 1.7 with factory D-Jet injection. The stock distributor is a Bosch 007. The booklet that comes with the 123Ignition distributor shows two choices for that distributor: 1 and A. If I'm reading the booklet right, curve 1 is vacuum advance and curve 2 is vacuum retard. Which is the correct curve to choose on the distributor: 1 or A?

I think curve 1 (vacuum advance) is the correct one, but thought I should double-check just to be safe.

Thanks!
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Dec 5 2017, 07:31 PM
Post #260

914 Guru

1 and use the advance port for the dizzy.
+Quote Post

19 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:10 PM