Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

27 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dr Phil’s copper 914 restoration thread- paint and body work on deck- getting fenders fixed and car repainted! New thread to document process, Update:- some finishing touches - constant , never done LOL
DRPHIL914
post Oct 28 2017, 11:47 AM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

after 8 years of ownership, and 2 years of rust repair and other such stuff, i am fuinally getting ready to take it to get the fenders repaired the reat of the way and the crappy respray sanded off and car repainted.
i wantes to start a new thread apart from the failed entry into the first rebuild contest. with the help of BillH1963 and a friend of his (Mike) i hope to have this done in 2 months!

i am pulling this motor and transmission today.
stripping car down this week and next week taking bare car with windows out, interior out, up to Mikes shop up near Columbia SC.

They will be sanding it down by hand to the original primer and fixing and missed rust etc not repaired last year- as previously documented the floor pan rust jack points longs and pedal area were all repaired by Chis and Ed at Tangerine Racing in 2016. they also repaire the fender lips that were bent and damaged and massaged the rear fenders out to get room for the 7" fuchs. Now those will be smoothed out the rest of the way.
and a proper match of L99k copper metallic ( goimg with the PPG - thanks for advice on this from Bill Dunster!

will document this for fun and future reference-
car is original matching numbers 2.0 with appearance group car- but i decided this week
since i have 5 lug etc im goimg to back date the bumpers- none of this ruins originality as far as it cant be undone- i thint it will look better too
so here we go!!!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Oct 28 2017, 11:54 AM
Post #2

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

I'm glad you are getting the paint done. This car will look fantastic with a new coat of the very rare one year only Copper metallic!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Oct 28 2017, 12:22 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

That car looks great right now even with the primered fenders. After paint it will be fantastic. Nice job. Doing it right. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Oct 28 2017, 02:21 PM
Post #4

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632

Nice! Seems like yesterday you sent it to Chris... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Oct 28 2017, 03:45 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

Are you going delete the side bulbs ??
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 28 2017, 03:55 PM
Post #6

Dr. Phil

i knownits been over a year since i got it back from chris- went to last 2 Okteenerfest with it like this. I will not delete the side markers, i would like to make some someday that are more flush but will stay.

does anyone have a number for how high up i need to get car to get motor down and out? i have the motor lift plate from Tangerine.
and other than the jack donought where else can i put jack stands? they dont sit well on those jack points - wish the jack stands had a round support point to match up on there.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 28 2017, 04:16 PM
Post #7

Dr. Phil

found this- so i guess the rear foor pan at the fire wall or the side where the outer long seam is ?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 28 2017, 04:31 PM
Post #8

Dr. Phil

hell hole is full of junk - but no rust!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 28 2017, 05:12 PM
Post #9

Dr. Phil

this is a pleasant suprise, no rust but huge chunks of seam sealer i thought was caulk someone put in but it wasnt.
This car came to Dublin, Ohio first, but the Marine i bought it from had it in 29 Palms CA so that may have saved its life but really amazed with all the hell hole rust ive seennin other cars here in past 10 years i really cant believe my luck. yea i repaired long and jack point rust but wow it could have been way worse! - I paid $2500 for a not running car 8 years ago and didnt know what a hell hole was or what a long was either!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 28 2017, 05:46 PM
Post #10

Dr. Phil

Owner 1- Philip DeVore , October 24 1975
LAST owner Philip W. ! that is appropriate

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 29 2017, 07:13 AM
Post #11

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Love that color (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 29 2017, 07:24 AM
Post #12

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Congratulations on moving your car along to paint. That is a very exciting process and seeing the end result will be worth all of the work. Cheers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post Oct 29 2017, 08:01 AM
Post #13

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340

Exciting! Am a bit envious as I’d love to repaint mine. Looking forward to updates on your progress.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 29 2017, 08:33 AM
Post #14

Dr. Phil

the color has grown on me for sure,
Yesterday i went over to a local guys storage shop , he has a few 911's and a 914 he is rehabbing, and needs to repair the trunk hinge ,
i have an extra JWest set , made a little trade for a rocker panel and a front window!,
anyway while there i saw another rare color- an original '72 911 Gold Metallic- beautiful! its in reassembly now- sorry no picture- does anyone know if any 911 were ever ordred in this Copper metallic? never seen one-

So I also will be doing a clean up if the motor- the car runs great, but i get an occasional buck ive got all new tin , going to get the air cleaner re powder coated and the intake runners- i'd also like to get the Triad exhaust jet hot coated too- new steal rocker panels, etc so a few other side projects- i will have a couple months to put some of this together- will be searching for a few parts--

a few years ago i had to re-do all the brakes- m.c. , brake lines and callipers- so while at it that winter i did the front a rear suspension- all new bushings, bearings, shocks and springs , rear control arm pivot shafts and bushings- newly powdercoated a-arms and trailing arms from bruce stone - I actualy have a list of about 2 pages of whats been done already- so really there isnt much left to do but paint- interior was done as well -- I guess i kind of did this all backwards! well difference being ive been driving snd enjoying the car. what i ddint want is to have it on blocks for years. even now i was not going to give the csr to someone who was not going to have id done for a year. thats partly why i waited so long or it took so long to find someone that could get it done in a timely fashion.
at soem point at the end i will post all the contributors from this site and others i have had both parts and services. Thats going to be a long list!

Now-
back to work!
+Quote Post
Dion
post Oct 29 2017, 08:59 AM
Post #15

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Good luck Philip. Subscribed.
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Oct 31 2017, 11:13 AM
Post #16

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

For old times sake.............paint the 'fridge' coppertone too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Oct 31 2017, 11:41 AM
Post #17

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 28 2017, 02:55 PM) *

i knownits been over a year since i got it back from chris- went to last 2 Okteenerfest with it like this. I will not delete the side markers, i would like to make some someday that are more flush but will stay.

does anyone have a number for how high up i need to get car to get motor down and out? i have the motor lift plate from Tangerine.
and other than the jack donought where else can i put jack stands? they dont sit well on those jack points - wish the jack stands had a round support point to match up on there.

27 inches, rear fender to ground, I don't have a rear valance.
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Oct 31 2017, 11:50 AM
Post #18

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 28 2017, 02:55 PM) *

I used this EZ Car lift, the car spent 3 years up and down on this lift, I bought the wheel set so I could move it around.

Attached Image

Portable easy to move and store.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 31 2017, 12:34 PM
Post #19

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

when i pulled the engine on my 4, i jacked up the car and slid an old set of car ramps under the rear wheels. They are probably only 12-18" high but with the rear tires sitting on the ramps, there was plenty of room to drop the engine. I did not have a rear valence on the car.

I wish I had used a tangerine lift adapter. I used one at Zach's house for his car and it makes it easy. Worth every penny even if you only use it a couple times.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 31 2017, 01:36 PM
Post #20

Dr. Phil

so last night I did a dry run fit to see if jack goes up high enough- check! it goes up 25" , but the jack plate where the tuna can goes is a bit tight- I have the deep one and it was hard to get it lined up properly and slipped over the deep tuna can sump so I might remove that ( guess im doing another oil change). also I have plenty of leaks here and there, possibly the stock oil cooler and a few of the push rod tubes- I did new tubes and seals back when I did all my suspension and brakes a few years ago, same time I pulled the transmission and rebuilt it at an EVIL clinic, I also did the clutch pressure plate and flywheel and RMS at that time - I can happily report that the transmission and RMS are leak free still- so glad I don't have to go down that road. - I also hesitate to do much with anything else since the compression # were good- all 4 @ 135-140 when checked by CFR- chris said no reason to do anything there, leak down was good too., so makes me thing that this car with 153,000 miles must have had some type of refresh done at some point but I have no record of it ---
for now plan is just take care of some of the leaks, then I already have brand new repowdercoated tin, intakes and air box so top end will be nice and clean. I will put no Alt belt on it while there too- ive been running what ever was there when I go it 8 years ago (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . - also I need to source the SS fuel lines - now will be the time- I didn't have any leaks, plastic lines are supple not brittle so I left it alone- didn't want to put it up just to do that when it didn't seem necessary.

Also coming out is the fresh air box since tank is coming out too, that has never worked so now I can get one that works in there (unless someone suddenly comes up whith and AC box that will fiit there).

hope to have motor out tomorrow night- will see - going to pull the rear valance just to get a few more inches but I think I[m good- it has to come off anyway though.

+Quote Post

27 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:27 AM