Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

27 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dr Phil’s copper 914 restoration thread- paint and body work on deck- getting fenders fixed and car repainted! New thread to document process, Update:- some finishing touches - constant , never done LOL
DRPHIL914
post Jun 25 2018, 10:14 AM
Post #101

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Apr 4 2018, 10:29 AM) *

just talked to mike, touch up and repairs done welded geound etc, car had the last block and sand, final prep for paint complete this week, bottom was stripped and reprimed, ready for texture, paint will be shot next weekend!!!!

finally an update worth updating! this was delayed for several reasons, some additional repair, and then weather(humidity etc) and just schedules, but last week the floorpan and bottom trunk were painted, and then the rear trunk and the engine compartment , followed by the firewall inside and out!. The rest of the car has now been taped off and all the outer panels doors etc etc are in process of paint - 3 coats base and 3 clear, I pick up the car on Saturday !! I will post some pictures soon and am finishing up the pushrod tube seals and all the tin replacement on the motor this week so it can go back in the car next week. so many things to do...... I have been gathering parts and pieces over the past 4-5 months as time and money would allow. I am sure I have missed some stuff. I didn't get the chrome bumpers over to get chromed yet and now I am afraid I would not get them back in time to be mounted before the trip to Okteenerfest in Sept. well , that and close to a $1000 or more to get them done- I have a very nice rear early bumper and a nice early front,(also a rough later front with bumperguards). Will see how it all goes but I would like to get new front Sekurit glass and might order this from dealer, not sure how else to do it hear. any advice would be nice.

Painted the tank over the weekend, few other bits like fitting the air deflector cooling flaps on the fan housing , and mounted the rebuilt throttle body on the newly repainted plenum. small steps but progress none the less. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Apr 4 2018, 10:29 AM) *

just talked to mike, touch up and repairs done welded geound etc, car had the last block and sand, final prep for paint complete this week, bottom was stripped and reprimed, ready for texture, paint will be shot next weekend!!!!

finally an update worth updating! this was delayed for several reasons, some additional repair, and then weather(humidity etc) and just schedules, but last week the floorpan and bottom trunk were painted, and then the rear trunk and the engine compartment , followed by the firewall inside and out!. The rest of the car has now been taped off and all the outer panels doors etc etc are in process of paint - 3 coats base and 3 clear, I pick up the car on Saturday !! I will post some pictures soon and am finishing up the pushrod tube seals and all the tin replacement on the motor this week so it can go back in the car next week. so many things to do...... I have been gathering parts and pieces over the past 4-5 months as time and money would allow. I am sure I have missed some stuff. I didn't get the chrome bumpers over to get chromed yet and now I am afraid I would not get them back in time to be mounted before the trip to Okteenerfest in Sept. well , that and close to a $1000 or more to get them done- I have a very nice rear early bumper and a nice early front,(also a rough later front with bumperguards). Will see how it all goes but I would like to get new front Sekurit glass and might order this from dealer, not sure how else to do it hear. any advice would be nice.

Painted the tank over the weekend, few other bits like fitting the air deflector cooling flaps on the fan housing , and mounted the rebuilt throttle body on the newly repainted plenum. small steps but progress none the less. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 25 2018, 10:18 AM
Post #102

Dr. Phil

motor refresh assembly progress

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Jun 25 2018, 10:49 AM
Post #103

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438

It is amazing how when you start this process it gets to the point of it seems like everything on the car needs attention!

Glad all I have left is a dyno tune, alignment, and corner balancing. Or at least that is what I keep telling myself.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 25 2018, 11:56 AM
Post #104

Dr. Phil

this was last week right before final prep for paint

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Jun 25 2018, 12:31 PM
Post #105

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 25 2018, 09:56 AM) *

Lucy! YOU got some assembling to do before Okteenerfest!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 25 2018, 12:48 PM
Post #106

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 25 2018, 02:31 PM) *

YUP!. and I have not done the rebuild on the fresh air box yet- I was going to order a new motor for the fan and put in new controls as well- And I have the
LED gauge set that I won 2 years ago in the raffle that have to go in(want to- don't really have to but I would like to get this done sooner than later, and the 123ignition distributor, and all new targa vinyl , and new carpet and floor vinyl, and and and!!
I do have help, my friend Jim that came with to Banner Elk Okteenerfest 2 years ago(year I got food poisoning from the pink pig bbq place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) ) will be helping me out - he helped me pull the motor, and is way over qualified for this work, having a back ground in aircraft mechanics and electronics(avionics?) anyway way better to have help.

I have to say later I will put together a list of all the stuff I have amassed over past year or 2. but as a quick side note I have sourced more parts from
Bruce Stone, 914Rubber, and AA than I can count. But recently also a few other odds and ends from 914ltd(Brad M.) and a bunch of other members. Bob Bishoff when out of his way to get me a rust free driver door since mine was not really savagable. Thanks Bob!! I mean out of his way - he drove the door and a set of outer rockers and a front valance from his place in Athens GA to my guy's shop just outside of Columbia SC!!!! talk about helping out a brotha!! saved me 10 hours of road time if I had made road trip to go get parts and take them over to the shop and then back home! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jun 25 2018, 12:48 PM
Post #107

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

Phil...Let me know when you go over there and I'll meet you.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 25 2018, 12:49 PM
Post #108

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 25 2018, 02:48 PM) *

Will do- if it works for Mike I am planning on leaving here in time to get to the shop at about 9-9:30 Saturday morning.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Jun 25 2018, 01:07 PM
Post #109

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 25 2018, 10:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 25 2018, 02:31 PM) *

YUP!. and I have not done the rebuild on the fresh air box yet- I was going to order a new motor for the fan and put in new controls as well- And I have the
LED gauge set that I won 2 years ago in the raffle that have to go in(want to- don't really have to but I would like to get this done sooner than later, and the 123ignition distributor, and all new targa vinyl , and new carpet and floor vinyl, and and and!!
I do have help, my friend Jim that came with to Banner Elk Okteenerfest 2 years ago(year I got food poisoning from the pink pig bbq place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) ) will be helping me out - he helped me pull the motor, and is way over qualified for this work, having a back ground in aircraft mechanics and electronics(avionics?) anyway way better to have help.

I have to say later I will put together a list of all the stuff I have amassed over past year or 2. but as a quick side note I have sourced more parts from
Bruce Stone, 914Rubber, and AA than I can count. But recently also a few other odds and ends from 914ltd(Brad M.) and a bunch of other members. Bob Bishoff when out of his way to get me a rust free driver door since mine was not really savagable. Thanks Bob!! I mean out of his way - he drove the door and a set of outer rockers and a front valance from his place in Athens GA to my guy's shop just outside of Columbia SC!!!! talk about helping out a brotha!! saved me 10 hours of road time if I had made road trip to go get parts and take them over to the shop and then back home! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Awesome. If it starts looking grim as it gets close put out a call. Not super close but could make the trip over and do a massive build weekend!
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jun 25 2018, 01:28 PM
Post #110

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 25 2018, 02:49 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 25 2018, 02:48 PM) *

Will do- if it works for Mike I am planning on leaving here in time to get to the shop at about 9-9:30 Saturday morning.

Cool. Maybe I'll drive the new whip over there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 28 2018, 08:25 AM
Post #111

Dr. Phil

old dirty oily undercylinder air deflector

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 28 2018, 08:27 AM
Post #112

Dr. Phil

not sure how bad the cylinder head leak is i think this was over a very long time.
new tubes ans seals in place

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 28 2018, 08:30 AM
Post #113

Dr. Phil

new seals from Mcmark and will see how they work.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 28 2018, 08:32 AM
Post #114

Dr. Phil

new powdercoated valve covers from Bruce Stone

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 28 2018, 08:43 AM
Post #115

Dr. Phil

more stuff from Bruce--and out with old and in with new stuff that will not be seen by the average person, unless you are crawling under my car.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Jun 28 2018, 09:16 AM
Post #116

Advanced Member

Your know Bruce is a great date provider! My cheap self would like to say he is not cheap but worth it. But he is very reasonable and very much worth it!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 28 2018, 11:35 AM
Post #117

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 28 2018, 11:16 AM) *

Your know Bruce is a great date provider! My cheap self would like to say he is not cheap but worth it. But he is very reasonable and very much worth it!

yes worth it for sure! BTW 2 days to pick up the car! I have to do the other side tonight and put all the sheet metal back on, intakes , plenum, alternator etc and exhaust back on so that I can put the motor back in asap- but really I just got the SS fuel lines and those have to go in first, then motor , and the fresh air box has to get sorted before I put the tank in. good think I have all of next week off!! going to get most of it done if I can next week. I would like to get the 123 distributor installed and tested out well before we head out in September. - All new injectors, seals etc I am hoping will improve it, the weird occasional bucking I was getting had to either be distributor related or injection related - will find out.
Mike you ran one of these can you tell me what plug wires you used with the 123?

Phil
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 29 2018, 02:55 PM
Post #118

Dr. Phil

might not see this from below when in the car but still wanted to clean and polish the top side of these

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 29 2018, 02:56 PM
Post #119

Dr. Phil

before-- wasnt too bad for 5 years of use

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 29 2018, 03:31 PM
Post #120

Dr. Phil

and bottoms just as nice- SS is pretty easy to polish up- green scotch brite pad and some h2o then a bit of Mothers Mag and aluminum polish

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

27 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 01:47 AM