Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

27 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dr Phil’s copper 914 restoration thread- paint and body work on deck- getting fenders fixed and car repainted! New thread to document process, Update:- some finishing touches - constant , never done LOL
rhodyguy
post Jul 12 2018, 08:10 AM
Post #181

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Group: Members
Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Just holes with nuts welded to the back side. Guys use captured nuts? in the new holes. Riv nuts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 12 2018, 08:13 AM
Post #182

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

where would the spot be ?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post Jul 12 2018, 09:30 AM
Post #183

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340

Phil - I’ve got my car apart and will take a pic of the front, specifically the fog light area, for you during my lunch break.

Looks like you and I are dealing with similar repaint issues. I too need a new windshield and saw your other post about buying dealer vs aftermarket. Think I’d better jump on that since there are only 6 left in the U.S.! Am kind of bummed that 914rubber is backordered on the windshield to dash seal as I’d like to replace that too. My targa trim looks decent enough to reuse but I think my windshield trim is too ratty to reuse. Maybe the glass shop can work their magic on it. If not, it’s just money, right?

Pedro
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 12 2018, 09:54 AM
Post #184

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Shadowfax @ Jul 12 2018, 11:30 AM) *

Phil - I’ve got my car apart and will take a pic of the front, specifically the fog light area, for you during my lunch break.

Looks like you and I are dealing with similar repaint issues. I too need a new windshield and saw your other post about buying dealer vs aftermarket. Think I’d better jump on that since there are only 6 left in the U.S.! Am kind of bummed that 914rubber is backordered on the windshield to dash seal as I’d like to replace that too. My targa trim looks decent enough to reuse but I think my windshield trim is too ratty to reuse. Maybe the glass shop can work their magic on it. If not, it’s just money, right?

Pedro

I didn't know they were back ordered on that! I have a newer one I put in last year but took it out when I pulled the window, its only a year old so I will just reuse it, its mainly cosmetic and holds down the dash vinyl not really sealing anything otherwise, so you can put your glass in and put that in later if you need to -
I can clean up my window and re-use it , it is a Sekurit , but its old and it has small bubbles in the glass , which is weird. I am going to put this in next weekend if I can get it ordered and have it picked up by the installer that they use. Have to find out what the actual cost is for installation, might be worth having an experienced guy used to working on the classic Porsche models and butyl.

thanks for the help.

Phil
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 12 2018, 10:03 AM
Post #185

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Even though they might only have 6 left in the us, when you order from Porsche, shipping from Germany is included so if they need to order more, it might be a bit of a wait but it’s the same cost. They bring in glass all the time so it’s not the last 6 in the world.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post Jul 12 2018, 10:57 AM
Post #186

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340

Here you go. Sorry for the bad pics. I’m a terrible photographer :
First one shows driver’s side, next is passenger side and last one shows the captive nut for the fog light bolt. The hole that sits higher and just above one of the body holes is for the horn.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 12 2018, 12:12 PM
Post #187

Dr. Phil

looks like the spot that sticks out slightly is still there even though there are a few differences in the early Vs late panel, but I think I can do a mock up and see if that mounts up and aligns up, - my horn was on the under side on the 75, the mount bold rusted off on the driver side though so I will now mount it under the bumper just like you had on yours, I will just have to drill another hole ugh! wish I had done that when I did the bumper mount holes before the paint was applied.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jul 16 2018, 03:59 AM
Post #188

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

If anyone is wanting a copper car (after seeing Phil's) here's on in Sacramento

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/por...6632071001.html
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 16 2018, 08:05 AM
Post #189

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 16 2018, 05:59 AM) *

If anyone is wanting a copper car (after seeing Phil's) here's on in Sacramento

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/por...6632071001.html

I had those same wheels , EMPI on my car when I bought it 9 years ago. That car doesn't look too bad, missing the targa trim and the vinyl is lifting up but if the usual rust spots are good you can have a nice start to a rare color car!

One thing I have learned from this is that when you get going you realize that even if there isn't bad rust, 40+ years takes its toll on a lot of parts! My car might not be as complete in the restoration side as some here but I can tell you when you begin to dig in and replace stuff it really adds up. I mean, I really don't want to put back on the car old screws and trim etc etc. a few years ago I pulled all the suspension because when a caliper froze up and the MC went, I snapped a hard line and decisded it was time to sent the calipers, all 4, to Eric Shea, , then while at it I did the 5 lug conversion, the trailing arms went to Tangerine, new bushings and bearings front and rear, sourced new repowder coated front a-arms from Bruce stone with new bushings, and did the steering and turbo tie rod upgrade - etc etc.
People asked me when I took the car to Tangerine for the rust fix of the longs jack ponts and floors why I would drive the car that far(990 miles), but why not?? everything from a safety stand point, suspension brakes bushings from front to rear, hard lines and soft have all been replaced. I will bet you will have a hard time finding a car - I know there are a few, but very few, that are for sale or sold recently that have really had all this stuff replaced in the past 5 years or less. So while my car may not be perfect, and it was not a rotisserie restoration, when I look back and list out everything I have done all the parts that have been replaced, it is an amazingly long list! its been in several different threads, not all in the same one unfortunately. I should have probably done all this to a clean redone tub, but alas that is in the past, and I have a rare color that is a numbers matching car with original engine and transmission! also not as common as one might think. once back together I would not hesitate to drive it across the country if I wanted to.
and much of that stuff is now done I wont have to do it again as long as I own the car. knowing what you have and what you put into it is worth a whole lot.

- say all that because I probably now have about $15k into the project but look whats been done, - here is a car that is for sale for $13k and other than a 5 year old engine refresh, you basically have 40 year old everything else, so I would be a fool to sell mine now at this point. I think about it sometimes, something newer, more hp , etc etc, but then I look back at what ive done and what I have and realize that would be foolish.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jul 16 2018, 09:41 AM
Post #190

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Alex Buller and Barbara LaFargue had a copper 75 with a tan interior, which is an awesome combination
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 16 2018, 10:37 AM
Post #191

Dr. Phil

i agree. mine was the same stock but when i went to do my interior which was the original interior when i bought it, it was so bad, there were no proper tan kits 10 years ago so i changed over to black- i love the cinnimon too but black looks nice.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 16 2018, 07:16 PM
Post #192

Dr. Phil

more stuff from Bruce! now i can get my doors put back together , will look and work like new! as luck would have it i won brand new outer door handles from Stoddard 2 years ago at the Okteenerfest! very excited to get at this stuff this weekend! New windshield scheduled to be delivered to Porsche tuesday! i am also getting the full door rebuild kit from 914rubber. door assembly will be interesting, it is nice to be able to put it all back in rust free doors!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 20 2018, 11:51 AM
Post #193

Dr. Phil

New window in place, so as another member from Austrailia said of his the OEM Porsche supplied window is Pilkington, who bought out Sigla.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 20 2018, 12:00 PM
Post #194

Dr. Phil

so maybe hard to see with reflexions off glass from outside.

so i have to thank Mark Whitesell for having included a few extra trim retaining clips, because in the process of tapping them into place severl broke! There is a amall push pin that sticks out but is supposed to be tapped in after the back side retainer thing is popped into the hole. they dont go in easily, so i found if you pull the small pin out completely tap the clip into place into the hole and then tap the pin in which of course spreads out the thing in the hole and tightens it holding the clip in place. I broke 2 clips in half trying to tap them in place so be careful, and make sure you have a few extr just in case!

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 20 2018, 12:04 PM
Post #195

Dr. Phil

oh and i pre ordered my butyl from 914rubber , its a good thing i did, because whe had a foam core butyl not solid rope. so we used mine. They only charged me $100 for installation but that also included pick up and delivery of the window from Porsche Hilton Head. $535 for glass, including tax etc and the PCA discount.
now i have to decide if i should get new outer trim or put my original back on.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) $$$$$
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 21 2018, 10:06 PM
Post #196

Dr. Phil

its time to get organized ! this is not even everything, i have new carpet kit, etc etc,
there is the LED gauge kit , the new never used outer door handles, all kinds of seals ans gromets and etc, all the heater tube parts, brackets and hinges and targa bar latches all thst black stuff and the zinc plated stuff you see are from Bruce Stone. Fuel line kit feom AA ans vac line kit too. it was overwelming me today and i didnt know quite where to start, so my friend Jim came over and we did the valve clearance then reinstalled the HE and exhaust. First time i did that myself. having someone with experience is helpful. i had 3 resources, my Tech Tips, the Haynes manual and Pelican parts tech article- this was so much easier with motor out and the HE stuff not in the way. ended up doing the pelican and Capt. Crusty’s way, pretty fast and easy.
After that i pulled out the old plastic lines, and installed the stainless -that job is not done due to the small lines not lining up with the late car clips, i am still waiting dor someone that has done this to post a pic or comment on how to get them in correct position (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) , still fairly productive day .

i had stuff in 8 different bins , and as i would order parts i tried to keep it together but i have extras from ordering stuff i forgot i had already.

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 21 2018, 10:10 PM
Post #197

Dr. Phil

lots of stuff ! the shiney new looking turn signal buckes are from Brad at 914ltd

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 21 2018, 10:13 PM
Post #198

Dr. Phil

i have a few needs yet-
1. i found a beautiful NOS Hela side marker assembly, and as nice as my repro 914rubber ones are, i would like to source another side marker lense to go with it .

+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 22 2018, 09:29 PM
Post #199

Dr. Phil

fog lights mounted today- had to do something today! had to locate where to place the mount, easy to do by mocking it up and making sure light is in the proper position and angle. i also had to modify the wiring due to the ‘75 ones usually were self grounding to the bumper. So wired, mounted and aligned. next up i have to mount the new Hela double horns. i am trying to decide if i ahould put them behind bumper sa the earlier cars had it or under where they were before with the bub’s.

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 22 2018, 09:38 PM
Post #200

Dr. Phil

also mounted the wiper mechanisms and the squirters.

Tomorrow my goal is to install the eye lids and lashes , then the side markers ans the flashers , fresh air box, hoses etc and then new gas lines, fuel filter and the tank.
If i can get that all done tomorrow, and the rear tail lights and rear bumper the next day, then i should be able to knock out the interior on friday , which i have off.

i need new front window trim!
+Quote Post

27 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:06 AM