Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

27 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dr Phil’s copper 914 restoration thread- paint and body work on deck- getting fenders fixed and car repainted! New thread to document process, Update:- some finishing touches - constant , never done LOL
Cairo94507
post Jul 23 2018, 07:17 AM
Post #201

Michael

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

How cool to see all those parts laid out ready for installation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 23 2018, 09:02 AM
Post #202

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

seems like such a small thing but it will be nice to have squirters that work
new door handles that have never been ised , won them at Okteenerfest in one of the drawings a couple years ago.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 23 2018, 09:10 AM
Post #203

Dr. Phil

led lighting conversion gauge cluster- now i hope to have this in before the trip but inwill leave it for last as it is not a necessity.

I sorted theu the brake line installation and will have to put a different fastener in to hold lines in place. close to being able to put the air box back in , i have to go get new warer hose for squirters and then i can put the fresh air box in - then tank and the lines -

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 28 2018, 02:22 PM
Post #204

Dr. Phil

took a break from the car for a few days and spent today putting some of the new heat wxchanger parts on. Mr. Stone had some S, & J tubes powdercoated , and the hardware zinc plates of course,
along with the flapper boxes. This was much easier than doing it under the car.
for some reason i cant find the engine tin grommets i ordered!
Also in the picture is new engine bar mounting hardware.

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jul 28 2018, 02:26 PM
Post #205

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

Looking great, Phil!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 28 2018, 02:31 PM
Post #206

Dr. Phil

before the rain set in today i also put the final coat of paint on the rocker panels.
i will probably be for sale later in but will go on the car for now. I have not decided for sure, as i have a set of brand new reproduction ones from AA, and those will need prime and paint and i am not sure i will have time to tackle that in the next 6 weeks before Okteenerfest. These had some repair done but you would not know it , they look perfect.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 28 2018, 02:37 PM
Post #207

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 28 2018, 04:26 PM) *

Looking great, Phil!

thanks, getting closer, id like to get all this done today so that the motor is ready to go back in the car next weekend.- need to finish fuel lines and put the engine bay gaskets in, put the fresh air box in and the tank can go back in. All new FI hose too, not taking any chances. your car get picked up yet? (BB) I heard thst mark changed his mind and decided to keep it ! - maybe he will five you the 912 instead- there’s a car you dont have yet, Bill!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 29 2018, 04:43 PM
Post #208

Dr. Phil

drivers side heat tubes all in place , of course new screws and hardware and finally have all the proper shields too.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 29 2018, 04:46 PM
Post #209

Dr. Phil

one more - also cleaned up the head light plastic shrouds

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 1 2018, 07:46 AM
Post #210

Dr. Phil

Getting close, but lots still to do, and a few more parts to replace.
a few things I need:
-fresh air box fan assembly: mine is ok, but has never worked correctly. I took it apart completely this weekend to inspect and clean. The spring things on back side of plug(I think these are the 'resistors' that control the 3 speeds) look fine, so maybe its not the issue. Ebay has a fan and motor assembly that is OEM Behr, but its $280!!!!! - I called Porsche and its $380 just for the motor from them lol!!
I also found a nice clean blower on ebay it looks pretty nice and clean but again its like $280 for used with the housing.
I ordered the seal kit from 914 rubber for the flapper seal and top of the housing and between intake and blower assembly seal, but the one fan seal Mark said they do not make at this time- this is the seal that goes all the way around the fan.

- I just don't know if its worth the expense and the trouble to try and restore this stupid thing- has anyone put in a different type of fan/blower? I came across an idea: our local boat house and boating supply has several sizes of bilge fans. they go inline but could be modified , and the smaller one looks like it could be mounted up under the upper half box and then have a "T" out to blow into the cabin, onto the windshield- this would at least allow some way to have airflow to defog the window when driving in rain etc. Any other ideas on this??
- I will post a picture of the gasket on the outer rim of the fan - if someone has a used one in better shape that would be great. -

also I really need to sell some parts to help pay for the rest of what I have left- the wife is cutting me off lol!
- I have listed in classifieds a really nice rear bumper, very very nice Bosch fog lights for late cars, and I have a rust free front steel valence and rear valence( not listed yet but will sell for $150 each not restored fully yet, once I do that I will list them for $250 each).
I also have heater parts like J and S tubes etc that are decent shape, no rust.
-
The car is back up at paint shop getting some stuff touched up, I should have the whole drive train ready to go back in by the time it comes home this weekend.

end of short update, pics to follow.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Aug 1 2018, 09:15 AM
Post #211

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Nice work Phil! My only observation is that while the engine is out, you might consider replacing the alternator harness. I see scorching on the jacket. It might be OK, but I'll bet inside of that the insulation on the wire could be sketchy
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 1 2018, 09:35 AM
Post #212

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Aug 1 2018, 11:15 AM) *

Nice work Phil! My only observation is that while the engine is out, you might consider replacing the alternator harness. I see scorching on the jacket. It might be OK, but I'll bet inside of that the insulation on the wire could be sketchy

yea i saw that too, i guess i should - i really should get a new alt., found that this is a bus alt, 50 amp not 55, so someone swapped it at some point.

ok so iguess i need a new alr with new harness!! anyone??
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 1 2018, 09:39 AM
Post #213

Dr. Phil

kok so this seel seems to be NLA and not made by 914rubber yet- anyone have a decent one? you can see that its a bit cracked and dried out.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 4 2018, 03:42 PM
Post #214

Dr. Phil

been a long day already, drove 2 hours up to the shop and picked up the car again, took it up last week to get a few things soeted and touched up. got home and went to work! the front valence is on, next is the front bumper( this is my temporary one)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 4 2018, 05:16 PM
Post #215

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 4 2018, 01:42 PM) *

been a long day already, drove 2 hours up to the shop and picked up the car again, took it up last week to get a few things soeted and touched up. got home and went to work! the front valence is on, next is the front bumper( this is my temporary one)

What a car! If you get jammed for time for Okteenerfest my offer is still good. This car has to be there. I would leave mine at home to be sure everyone gets to see this!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 5 2018, 11:25 AM
Post #216

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 4 2018, 07:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 4 2018, 01:42 PM) *

What a car! If you get jammed for time for Okteenerfest my offer is still good. This car has to be there. I would leave mine at home to be sure everyone gets to see this!

thanks for the offer, we will se where i am in a couple weeks. i am going to start at the front and work my way back.

I need to figure out a solution on how to block the holes left behind from the old bumper shocks.
I am most overwelmed with the rebuilding of the doors- i have all new hardware and seals including door stay kit- well everything but the actuator/scissors mechanisms.
putting the drive train back in and getting all thst ready seems like an easier job since i have done that before
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 5 2018, 05:12 PM
Post #217

Dr. Phil

today i had a couple hours after yard work to mount headlight covers, eyelids and lashes.
i still dont know if the front bumper will be done on time so i put the temp one on, so it can go like this if necessary- i am having a heck of a time ligning up the rubber buttons that hold the eyelash trims in( is that what they are called??)
anyway , they are in place - next up will be the side markers and the turnsignal buckets and connections. once those are in finish the fuel line install and put engine shelf seals in place,

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 5 2018, 05:14 PM
Post #218

Dr. Phil

right(passenger side)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 5 2018, 05:15 PM
Post #219

Dr. Phil

open rt

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 5 2018, 05:16 PM
Post #220

Dr. Phil

front with bunper in

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post

27 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:44 AM