Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

27 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dr Phil’s copper 914 restoration thread- paint and body work on deck- getting fenders fixed and car repainted! New thread to document process, Update:- some finishing touches - constant , never done LOL
DRPHIL914
post Aug 27 2018, 10:49 PM
Post #261

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

new rear sway bar bushings yesterday,

tonight i went to work on the driver door again- first i decided to test a different seal. i pit the seal amd the wing vent glass on then lubed the track and slid it down from top, and then worked on gettimg that with it in the frame down into the door. this time i was able to get it in far enough that the glass did not hit the a-pillar and seal.
adjusted the height and angle of the glass, then installed the regulator mechanism and main glass. that was interesting, not as easy as it looks. but figured it out.
So the driver s door has seals and glass! now i await the targa trim chrome from Sunset Porsche. once this arrives i will do the new targa bar vinyl and trim. Layed out the carpet - tomorrow i will again fight the passenger door glass- i am waiting for the alternator and a few other bits before putting motor back in.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 28 2018, 06:02 AM
Post #262

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 27 2018, 08:49 PM) *

tonight i went to work on the driver door again- first i decided to test a different seal. i pit the seal amd the wing vent glass on then lubed the track and slid it down from top, and then worked on gettimg that with it in the frame down into the door. this time i was able to get it in far enough that the glass did not hit the a-pillar and seal.
adjusted the height and angle of the glass, then installed the regulator mechanism and main glass. that was interesting, not as easy as it looks. but figured it out.
So the driver s door has seals and glass! now i await the targa trim chrome from Sunset Porsche. once this arrives i will do the new targa bar vinyl and trim. Layed out the carpet - tomorrow i will again fight the passenger door glass- i am waiting for the alternator and a few other bits before putting motor back in.

That's a major victory!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 28 2018, 06:20 AM
Post #263

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 28 2018, 08:02 AM) *

That's a major victory!

Mike, you have no idea!, well maybe you do, you have been working on that megasquirt experiment lol!! well I will actually post a different thread, how and why this finally fell into place. I tried 3 different seals, and I will elaborate later. The seal in the window currently is not perfect either, but I did not have to modify it to get it in, but its not as tight in the back part as it should be, so there is that issue. I promised a complete and fair assessment of this seal and its comparison to oem and the 914rubber one I was fighting with for the past 2 weeks. This one is the URO one, and there are definitely things to be learned from how each of them fit or don't fit, and probably how to improve installation. Either way I now have one door ready for final adjustment and then the door panel and handles can be installed on this side.

is your car now running and ready to go Mike?? I hope to get the motor in the car and running this weekend, well I should rephrase that - I HAVE TO get the motor in and running this weekend!! (my wife will be out of town so I have a 3 day weekend to do nothing but work on this car !)
I do home my order from Sunset Porsche comes, I also have more goodies coming from 914rubber to help finish up a few things, like the fresh air box rebuild.

I bought a electric washer pump, so I am hoping to get that installed before the air box and the gas tank.

any advice on replacing the front stock swaybar drop link bushings?
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Aug 28 2018, 09:05 AM
Post #264

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

Phil.....you changed your name. Why didn't you go for something unique like BACKCRACKER? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

I almost didn't recognize you were posting
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 28 2018, 09:16 AM
Post #265

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 28 2018, 04:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 28 2018, 08:02 AM) *

That's a major victory!

Mike, you have no idea!, well maybe you do, you have been working on that megasquirt experiment lol!! well I will actually post a different thread, how and why this finally fell into place. I tried 3 different seals, and I will elaborate later. The seal in the window currently is not perfect either, but I did not have to modify it to get it in, but its not as tight in the back part as it should be, so there is that issue. I promised a complete and fair assessment of this seal and its comparison to oem and the 914rubber one I was fighting with for the past 2 weeks. This one is the URO one, and there are definitely things to be learned from how each of them fit or don't fit, and probably how to improve installation. Either way I now have one door ready for final adjustment and then the door panel and handles can be installed on this side.

is your car now running and ready to go Mike?? I hope to get the motor in the car and running this weekend, well I should rephrase that - I HAVE TO get the motor in and running this weekend!! (my wife will be out of town so I have a 3 day weekend to do nothing but work on this car !)
I do home my order from Sunset Porsche comes, I also have more goodies coming from 914rubber to help finish up a few things, like the fresh air box rebuild.

I bought a electric washer pump, so I am hoping to get that installed before the air box and the gas tank.

any advice on replacing the front stock swaybar drop link bushings?

The fronts are relatively easy. But for me, I have found that using a bit of grease and hand power and they go in easily.

If not, I recommend using a socket that you can rest the opening of the link on and inserting a bolt with a larger washer through the rubber bushing and the using a C clamp to force the bushing in. Something like this.

Attached Image

Struggled with my rear ones doing the heating and such but seems like brute force is the best way.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 28 2018, 09:34 AM
Post #266

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 28 2018, 11:05 AM) *

Phil.....you changed your name. Why didn't you go for something unique like BACKCRACKER? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

I almost didn't recognize you were posting

too funny!! I could still change it , I just wanted to get rid of that space and then not have my name , - not very creative I know. - we already have "cracker" I guess that could be a double meaning, "backcracker" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Aug 28 2018, 10:13 AM
Post #267

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 28 2018, 11:16 AM) *

The fronts are relatively easy. But for me, I have found that using a bit of grease and hand power and they go in easily.

If not, I recommend using a socket that you can rest the opening of the link on and inserting a bolt with a larger washer through the rubber bushing and the using a C clamp to force the bushing in. Something like this.

Attached Image

Struggled with my rear ones doing the heating and such but seems like brute force is the best way.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Irwin Quick-Grip is a little safer and easier IMHO. The one I use is capable of 300 lbs force.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com-9101-1535472833.1.jpg)

+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 28 2018, 07:44 PM
Post #268

Dr. Phil

this arrived today, but i have to wait for my new back plate to get this installed- i hope it comes soon!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 28 2018, 07:57 PM
Post #269

Dr. Phil

old vs new- upgrade from 50 amp to 75amp,
they recommend a new VR , is the NOS one i just got from 914sixer.com

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
simonjb
post Aug 28 2018, 08:37 PM
Post #270

KiwiMan

Member No.: 20,505
Region Association: North East States

Looking really really nice !
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 29 2018, 04:35 PM
Post #271

Dr. Phil

carpets! getting ready to install after putting the vinyl in place

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 29 2018, 05:50 PM
Post #272

Dr. Phil

never run before 16x6”

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Aug 29 2018, 07:25 PM
Post #273

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 9 2018, 08:48 AM) *

do i dare put the PORSCHE script on the side again?
yes it was there before this, BUT .... not sure i want to do that....

i have brand new rockers and a set of nice redone ones that Mike painted, then need a sand down and one more coat, i could do either way, even thought about body color rockers but i like the look of the black rockers better.-
then also is the front valance- i have a LE style fiberglass one that was in Jim Hoylands car, but it was damaged in shipping , so i got a very nice stock metal pan that is repaintes black- SO Le was repaired and is in primer if i dont put it on i will resell it, ugh decisions!!

although we have been PMing regarding parts of late, not sure how I missed the part where the car came out of paint. She looks really great.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 29 2018, 09:43 PM
Post #274

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Aug 29 2018, 09:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 9 2018, 08:48 AM) *

do i dare put the PORSCHE script on the side again?
yes it was there before this, BUT .... not sure i want to do that....

i have brand new rockers and a set of nice redone ones that Mike painted, then need a sand down and one more coat, i could do either way, even thought about body color rockers but i like the look of the black rockers better.-
then also is the front valance- i have a LE style fiberglass one that was in Jim Hoylands car, but it was damaged in shipping , so i got a very nice stock metal pan that is repaintes black- SO Le was repaired and is in primer if i dont put it on i will resell it, ugh decisions!!

although we have been PMing regarding parts of late, not sure how I missed the part where the car came out of paint. She looks really great.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

yea, got her back in the garage about a month ago now (the second time)
and have been fighting the window seals and such. took your advice and sourced some onsale parts from Sunset Porsche, a few more from local dealer and i have one last order coming from 914rubber and one from Bruce Stone coming saturday. like you ive had a few things extra to do that i didnt plan on like new alternator. you will be glad you are doing those brakes! i did all of that stuff a couple yeara ago so i am glad that my brakes ans suspension are all sorted! one leas thing to worry about right now! i also just cleaned up my fresh air box, put in new seals , made sure circuits were good , resistors etc. that will go back in saturday too. keep posting , i enjoy watching some of the other builds like yours.

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 29 2018, 09:51 PM
Post #275

Dr. Phil

took a break from it on Saturday and went out with our friends to Hiltons Head to the Salty dog Cafe, and marina for a evening dinner and cruise out on the intercoastal . it was high tide and a beautiful sunset and the harvest moon(sturgeon moon i think). This is moon and reflexion off the water next to Harbor Town light house.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 29 2018, 10:03 PM
Post #276

Dr. Phil

also arriving today were my oem Hella license plate lights from Kevin Powers , thanks Kevin!! and the turn signal euro conversion from Martin!!, and i picked up trim clips and the small top end targa bar trims from Hilton head porsche.

I still need a rear trunk insullation pad and a engine firewall sound pad!
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Aug 29 2018, 10:27 PM
Post #277

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 29 2018, 09:03 PM) *

also arriving today were my oem Hella license plate lights from Kevin Powers , thanks Kevin!! and the turn signal euro conversion from Martin!!, and i picked up trim clips and the small top end targa bar trims from Hilton head porsche.

I still need a rear trunk insullation pad and a engine firewall sound pad!

Not sure that I want to mess up the engine bay by reinstalling my original firewall pad. Not sure what the solution is, but that will be for later.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 31 2018, 10:27 PM
Post #278

Dr. Phil

new alternator with new wiring, new back plate

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 31 2018, 10:31 PM
Post #279

Dr. Phil

my newly powdercoated air box from Broce Stone came today, here is a test fit

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Aug 31 2018, 10:33 PM
Post #280

Member No.: 12,023

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 29 2018, 04:50 PM) *

never run before 16x6”

Nice! What size tire is that?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

27 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 09:49 PM