Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

27 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dr Phil’s copper 914 restoration thread- paint and body work on deck- getting fenders fixed and car repainted! New thread to document process, Update:- some finishing touches - constant , never done LOL
bbrock
post Sep 12 2018, 11:45 AM
Post #361

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 12 2018, 11:19 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 12 2018, 01:07 PM) *

I don't have a '75 schematic, but on a '73, it looks like power comes in at pin 14 to the relay board, then through the 25A fuse, then to pin 30 on the pump relay. Covering simple things, did you check the fuse? That is the circuit to power the pump. It looks like jumping between pin 13 and 14 should send power directly to your pump, bypassing the relay.

To energize the pump relay, it looks like the power supply relay also has to be energized so both relays need to be in place and working. It looks like that relay is getting power on the black wire on pin 8 of the 14-pin connector and grounding through pin 10.

Both of those relays require a ground through the ECU so that could be another demon to chase.

all thats great but i dont have a picture of where the. “14” pin is etc so i am not able to do thst with out a picture showing me which one is which
I think if i find thst i can get that figured out maybe

Again, all I have is the '73 schematic. but here's a pic of where the relay board stuff goes. Agree with just getting power to the pump to make sure it runs, either jumping 13 and 14 at the board, or using that mystery wire. Also a good point about safety features on late models that I know nothing about.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 12 2018, 03:02 PM
Post #362

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Shadowfax @ Sep 12 2018, 01:23 PM) *

Lookin' good, Phil! Have you bypassed the seat belt interlock relay under the passenger seat? Might be worth a try.

Also, is that your E39 in the background? I have an '03 530i 5-speed with 107K on it. Love that car!

Yes the BMW is a 528i- 2000, with 280k miles!! awesome car , gave it to my daughter, with new throttle body and accel cable, new fuel pump it runs like a new car, one of the best cars i have ever owned-

so i can recheck under the passenger seat, i didnt mess wirh it , it had been bypassed before the body and paint work- so maybe that is where the issue is.
i will go out and get a picture of the wiring under there-
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 12 2018, 03:17 PM
Post #363

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Shadowfax @ Sep 12 2018, 01:23 PM) *

Lookin' good, Phil! Have you bypassed the seat belt interlock relay under the passenger seat? Might be worth a try.

Also, is that your E39 in the background? I have an '03 530i 5-speed with 107K on it. Love that car!

does this look right, should the brown wire shown here with a white stripe be loose?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post Sep 12 2018, 04:26 PM
Post #364

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340

Should look like the pic in Post #10 here.

I’d like to give the 5er to my daughter when she’s old enough to drive but she said she doesn’t want a manual. Crazy!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 12 2018, 09:07 PM
Post #365

Dr. Phil

ok , spent a couple hours going thru the whole FI fuel pump trouble shooting guide from
Jeff Bowlsby, which checked out all connections to fi harness battery switched and unswitched etc,
lead us back to the pump- once we verified there wasnt continuity at the ground we connected a wire to a different place on body to give a different ground, i got the V to test for 1.5 sec, and pump primed- but i will not have time to fix that right tomorrow, and with the storm possibly coming this way not sure i will leave here tomorrow- if i do it will most likely be with out the 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 13 2018, 10:51 AM
Post #366

Dr. Phil

update: she’s alive!! no time to shake out bugs but she is on the trailer and i am leaving in 10 minutes!!! 6 hour drive- see you tonight!
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Sep 13 2018, 11:27 AM
Post #367

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 13 2018, 09:51 AM) *

update: she’s alive!! no time to shake out bugs but she is on the trailer and i am leaving in 10 minutes!!! 6 hour drive- see you tonight!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Way to Go Phil!!! Hopefully all will be good. enjoy your weekend!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Sep 13 2018, 12:41 PM
Post #368

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)!!!!

I was really bummed when I read you might not be taking the 914 after the heroic effort. You deserve an award for this!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 13 2018, 01:14 PM
Post #369

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 13 2018, 02:41 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)!!!!

I was really bummed when I read you might not be taking the 914 after the heroic effort. You deserve an award for this!

thank you for the help it was an interesting learning experience working through all the contacts and all the instructions on troubleshooting from Jeff Bolsbys site in the end most obvious thing most simple thing what it ended up being which was the ground of the pump itself which I should’ve checked first before going through everything else but now I know I have a good really board with good relays and harness harness thanks for posting the schematic I look forward to seeing everyone. I don’t know about that award other than maybe just being the most stubborn which I guess is a trait that can be positive and someways. I still have some work I’d like to get done when I get there like install my radio and my firewall backpack came delivered today right before I left to see if 914 rubber,

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 16 2018, 09:49 PM
Post #370

Dr. Phil

Small update- after getting pump to work andgetting car packed on trailer i was off to Helen Ga for the Okteenerfest- I almost gave up! thanks all for the encouragement! and thanks for all the super comments on the car while there at the weekend and show. The ultimate was being voted 1st place in our car show in the “custom” class!! this means more to me than a peoples choice at a local show or c and c , because it came from our community, other 914 owners who know and can truely appreciate the time and effort that goes into a rebuild and reassembly!! as nice as the car looks in the pictures its better in person, well mostly , it does have a few flaws,m. but i cant take credit for all that, i have to acknowledge Mike Branch, the man who stripped the old paint off and cleaned up the rest od the rust and smoothed out the rear fenders, and repainted the car. My car would not be on the road and be rust free and straight with out the work of Tangerine Racing, so thank you Ed and Chris for all the work you did 2 years ago on the fenders floors and longs!.
Also parts for so many things but every part that has a zinc plating or powder coated came from or thru Bruce Stone. All my Brake stuff , PMB of course!
Many many many parts from 914rubber.com, thank you Mark and Matt! even then day i left for the trip i had parts that came in from them. some time i will make a full and complete list. Also many hard to find parts ii was able to source from Auto Atlanta. And Mark Herd(914sixer) supplied me with some nice NOS CV parts and my period correct radio and other bits like nos VR! But i cant leave out Restoration Design! all my new replacement parts, floors jack points in the longs etc etc are from them!
And Bob Bishoff(Bigkat 73) supplied me wirh a rust free driver door and front valance, and set of partly restored outer rocker panels, thanks Bob!
And there are another half dozen or more other guys who sent me parts that were needed. almost all of it came from members ans member vendors. So glad it all came together finally, and i could not have done it with out all of you! Advice of how to or not to do things wow, its all right here! I am not completely done, i havs some stuff to clean up and finish to have it ready in November for the Hilton Jead Concours DelegNce car club showcase, so i am sure to have more issues more pictures, etc -
I hope someone can post some pictures from the car show saturday, i knly took a coupe of my own car! so here is to you World! Ein Prosit !:first: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Sep 16 2018, 10:01 PM
Post #371

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

Congrats!!! Well Deserved!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 20 2018, 07:02 AM
Post #372

Dr. Phil

I guess I still have some stuff to do here and to really finish her up. I was rushed to get it on the road and on trailer to Okteenerfest and was good enough to go on the drive Friday, but really with high idle and not having time to really set proper timing and sort that out along with the aux oil cooler fan not being hooked up , I didn't really get to drive much. I spent more time prepping for the show on Saturday and fixing some wiring issues. Now that I am back I would like to finish up a punch list of things to be able to do a couple local shows and also Nov 3-4 the HHI Concours has a car club showcase, where 10 vehicles from each club are selected for display on the fairway on Saturday, and I have been selected to do this!! excited but I really want to make sure its ready. - I also want to get my 123ignition distributor in place as well.

I have some adjustments to the alignment of the rear trunk, and the drivers door so that it will close with better alignment. Also I need to get my new/Old Blaupunk radio installed correctly, so sourcing a proper trim plate etc is my next goal.

Is there any suggestions from those that saw the car last week? I have a new 914 badging to put on it, as seen at the awards banquet, it came from Pete at RD!
I also have brand new adonized thresholds that are silver and would love to trade them for Black adonized if anyone is interested!, So as I progress and make some changes and clean things up I will continue to upate progress!!

Thanks for all the help, but not done yet! - Man that was a crazy 6 weeks!!!!!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 16 2018, 10:06 AM
Post #373

Dr. Phil

i have not posted in a while, but will be back at doing some clean up and getting ready for a couple of car shows here and the HHI Concours Nov 3-4.

One big thing is after motor has been back in car for a month + now , no leaks!!! no push rod tube leaks !! nice to not be dripping on garage floor anymore.

Items to sort out - I have a squeak I believe is the darn throw out bearing.
- Brake lights quit working, bulbs are find, this needs to be sorted
- redoing the right side sail panel vinyl,
- installing my remanufactured radio from 914sixer this week, I will need some information about the wiring, it was badly hacked by someone who put in an alpine unit back in the 90's. that radio failed and I wanted period correct, so if anyone knows what the different wires are? - yellow, red and black is what I see, other than the speaker wires that I can trace and figure out n my own. I will start a different trhread for that issue tonight.

otherwise I finally got the timing and idle issue figured out, but I get a bit of a miss here and there and I think its the fi triggers or the distributor. I will try the 123ignition one this weekend and see how that runs. Also I have a slight whining sound that I think is coming from the front alternator/belt area, and both are brand new so not sure whats causing that, but the 75 amp is charging good so I wll leav ethis alone for now.

I also want to adjust the front ride height slightly , down about 1" so I don't know but I will probably have to do an alignment on this after I make that adjustment.

and I wired up my oil cooler fan but it doesn't work so either the fan has failed or I have the thermostat wired up wrong, .

Like I said , nothing major but stuff you would like to have sorted. Cosmetically car is almost perfect. But I need brake lights!!!!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 16 2018, 08:55 PM
Post #374

Dr. Phil

radio installed! and working. i tell you it has better sound than the much newer alpine i took out!
Thanks to Mark Herd(914sixer) for the radio and Perry Kiehl(ironhillrestorations) for the mounting kit!. now if i could figure out how to connect the speaker in the center console that would be nice. there are only 2 channels outging, right and left, so i am not sure how you would tap into those to add the center speaker

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 18 2018, 05:39 AM
Post #375

Dr. Phil

+ Brake light fixed!- bad switch replaced,
+ radio installation completed,
- still working on aux oil cooler fan wiring, might need new rheostat control,

should be working some polishing up and cleaning, detailing. Cars and coffee this Saturday, only 2 weeks until Concour in HHI. But next Saturday is the classic speed racing across river from Savannah at Hutchinsin Island, PCA has corral parking so I plan on hanging out there most of the day! should be fun, Any one know of a914 or 914's racing this year?

Phil
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 8 2018, 01:18 PM
Post #376

Dr. Phil

Took the car to the Hilton Head Island Concours last weekend , just the Saturday Showcase. Lots of attention indeed! I was able to finish up everything I needed to do except a few minor things. I wanted the engine compartment to look clean and neat so I left the aux heater fan out, no tubes hooked up, but I did get the wiring done for the headed seat inserts since the flapper boxes cables were not connected and it was 48 degrees Saturday morning on the way to get set up. Had a great time, enjoyed fielding questions about the car. Some very experienced Porsche rebuilders and restorers at the show including the R/M southerby's rep , most had never seen a Copper Metallic car before!
#1 Question was:; What color is that, and along with that then, was this the original color?
#2 question was, is that a Fiat?
#2 real question was : Is that a 6?? ( due to the 5 lug Fuchs and early front chrome bumper I think
#3 question was: What is an RS?

I was next to a very nice early 911, RGROUPPE Car, owned by Vic Rola our PCA Zone Rep. he gave me lots of great advice about showing the car and bringing it to the next show and having it judged. Not much I can do except clean up some overspray on the rear control arms etc. But of course I have to show it it a "Street Custom" class due to its not original, and its modified. so its not ''Preservation". But I don't really care about that. I did care enough to put original period correct dash, radio, trim, sail trim, etc etc in the car. Its all Porsche. but of course the 5 lug is not correct for a 75 and neither are the bumpers. I also have the Euro spec light lenses front and rear. -- but so did the 914/6 that was showing on Sunday! Owner didn't have a clue about that not being correct.

Next up is to decide if I can get the car to the SHADES presentation at PCNA with 000 Mag in 2 weeks in Atlanta(if accepted that is) I will probably go if they do accept it, I have a seminar for 12 hours that day uptown so will see how it works logistically.

Then a few local shows in December,

I still need to re do the sail panel vinyl, and a few touches here at there.
I installed the 123ignition distributor and its running better than ever, AND still no leaks from push rod tubes or anywhere else, so it looks like I finally got it right this time, thanks for the new seals Mark!(McMark). @McMark

looking for some pictures from the show, I will post them when I can get ahold of some, I neglected to take pictures ofmy own car!- phone died
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 23 2019, 08:35 PM
Post #377

Dr. Phil

Thought I would add a few updates photos to my build thread, been a while but last year after Okteenerfest I took car to Atlanta for Rare Shades 2 at PCNA headquarters

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 23 2019, 08:44 PM
Post #378

Dr. Phil

And went to Amelia Island , went to the Porsche-only gathering the day before,

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 23 2019, 09:12 PM
Post #379

Dr. Phil

New window cranks

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 23 2019, 09:14 PM
Post #380

Dr. Phil

NEw gauges- LED’s from TimothyND

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

27 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:29 AM