Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

27 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dr Phil’s copper 914 restoration thread- paint and body work on deck- getting fenders fixed and car repainted! New thread to document process, Update:- some finishing touches - constant , never done LOL
DRPHIL914
post Aug 23 2019, 09:16 PM
Post #381

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

How many gallons of water will a 914 frunk hold?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 23 2019, 09:17 PM
Post #382

Dr. Phil

Local cars and coffee keeping company with a cousin

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 23 2019, 09:18 PM
Post #383

Dr. Phil

Rear trunk cleaned up nice , rewrapped
Wire harness

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 23 2019, 09:20 PM
Post #384

Dr. Phil

Original trunk carpet
Still looks like
New-
One thing I didn’t have to replace and you can’t find replacement or NOS.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 23 2019, 09:23 PM
Post #385

Dr. Phil

Clean underside, love my Triad exhaust, and still not one drip from the push rod tubes or anywhere after one year! Yes there is oil in there- they say if the 914 is not dripping oil it must be out, but not so in this case!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 23 2019, 09:25 PM
Post #386

Dr. Phil

In backdating exhaust it was not easy to find all the proper tin in good condition, but World is awesome!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 23 2019, 09:27 PM
Post #387

Dr. Phil

Love the Euro signals- funny but cars now in US have amber signals but not back in ‘75

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 23 2019, 09:29 PM
Post #388

Dr. Phil

Thanks to Bruce stone all
my metal bits even door lock mechanism and strike plates
are like new, zinc plated

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 23 2019, 09:31 PM
Post #389

Dr. Phil

Love my 914rubber.com seat covers, carpets, dash top, etc etc- too much to list

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 23 2019, 09:33 PM
Post #390

Dr. Phil

Just a few more- I was asked recently why I didn’t have more pictures of the car posted
So I figure this would be the best place to document the mostly finished product

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 23 2019, 09:34 PM
Post #391

Dr. Phil

Love the copper metallic in sunlight!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 23 2019, 09:37 PM
Post #392

Dr. Phil

I still like the looks of new black sail panels, with new OEM trim of course!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 23 2019, 09:40 PM
Post #393

Dr. Phil

I am glad I decided to back date these bumpers, but the BUB’s really didn’t look bad, but mine live on , on Gatornapper’s car!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Aug 24 2019, 05:55 AM
Post #394

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 23 2019, 08:34 PM) *

Love the copper metallic in sunlight!

This is my favorite picture of your beautiful car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Oscar
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 24 2019, 08:32 AM
Post #395

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Wow, beautiful! You must (and should be!) very proud of your results. Thanks for the pics.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 24 2019, 08:10 PM
Post #396

Member No.: 21,449

Now, Phil.......I need to check with you.....if, in a few years, I decide to do what you did, and back-date my bumpers - will you be upset????? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If I do, I promise to pass them on for free just like you did for me!

But yours are so nice, I probably will let them live on on my car as long as she's running..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

GN

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 23 2019, 09:40 PM) *

I am glad I decided to back date these bumpers, but the BUB’s really didn’t look bad, but mine live on , on Gatornapper’s car!

+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 25 2019, 05:14 AM
Post #397

Dr. Phil

Well if you do decide to back date at some point you can pass them on or sell them if you want they are yours, and mint late bumpers may end up being fairly rare and value could climb as it gets jarred to find them. But consider a few things before backdating-
*expense- going to cost a couple grad to do it right
*fog light mounting - is different so no you hav etc d those holes tat were it there, early cars have welded but on other side so you can just stew in the bold for mounting the lights
*on rear our later cars don’t have the tow hook mount, I didn’t know about that so I didn’t have it welded on while the body work was being done , and also the center rear bumper topper supports have to be added we don’t have those either. At some point my bumpers will come back off, those things will be added properly but right now I can’t crew in a rear tow hook loop due to the missing mount and I don’t have the support brackets in middle back that helps hold up the small thin center part of the bumper topper.

I got a great deal on an early perfect front bumper from a local 911 Restoration guy that bought a hoard of parts in a shipping container- I believe that it came from VA, and in there was some 914 stuff he didn’t want, and he sold me cheap most of the 914 stuff, like my interior door panels, they are mint, and the chrome bumpers. One was sent for new triple plating chrome, but no repair was necessary.
That was a stroke of luck.

Also I’ve had issues with getting my sail panel vinyl on right, it if at first you don’t succeed try try again! If I get time in the next 2 weeks it’s going to come off and be reapplied but will see if I get time with moving next weekend.
For now keep the BUB’s they look good- I will send the rear one soon, maybe this week so I don’t have to move it- if you don’t wNt the steel bumper frame it will probably be scrappas I won’t have room to store it.

Phil

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 24 2019, 10:10 PM) *

Now, Phil.......I need to check with you.....if, in a few years, I decide to do what you did, and back-date my bumpers - will you be upset????? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

But yours are so nice, I probably will let them live on on my car as long as she's running..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

GN

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 25 2019, 05:43 AM
Post #398

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

DrPhil914 - You car is beautiful. I love the color and backdating the bumpers makes a hug difference in the look. Great job. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 25 2019, 06:43 AM
Post #399

Member No.: 21,449

Phil -

Thank you. All the reasons I probably will never back-date mine.

Yes - your 914 is absolutely one of the most beautiful ones I've ever seen. I don't have plans or the funds to take mine anywhere close to yours - so I'll enjoy yours from a distance.

Kudos on a superb car.

Took mine to local C&C yesterday. I was early, so I framed it properly: parked it next to a new Porsche GT3, 2- McLaren F-1's, and a Ford GT. Your car would have fit right next to them a whole lot better than mine!

A hundred cars there I think, and surprised at all the interest in my old 914, as raggedy as it is....the only one there.

GN

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 25 2019, 05:14 AM) *

Well if you do decide to back date at some point you can pass them on or sell them if you want they are yours, and mint late bumpers may end up being fairly rare and value could climb as it gets jarred to find them. But consider a few things before backdating-
*fog light mounting - is different so no you hav etc d those holes tat were it there, early cars have welded but on other side so you can just stew in the bold for mounting the lights
*on rear our later cars don’t have the tow hook mount, I didn’t know about that so I didn’t have it welded on while the body work was being done , and also the center rear bumper topper supports have to be added we don’t have those either. At some point my bumpers will come back off, those things will be added properly but right now I can’t crew in a rear tow hook loop due to the missing mount and I don’t have the support brackets in middle back that helps hold up the small thin center part of the bumper topper.

I got a great deal on an early perfect front bumper from a local 911 Restoration guy that bought a hoard of parts in a shipping container- I believe that it came from VA, and in there was some 914 stuff he didn’t want, and he sold me cheap most of the 914 stuff, like my interior door panels, they are mint, and the chrome bumpers. One was sent for new triple plating chrome, but no repair was necessary.

Also I’ve had issues with getting my sail panel vinyl on right, it if at first you don’t succeed try try again! If I get time in the next 2 weeks it’s going to come off and be reapplied but will see if I get time with moving next weekend.
For now keep the BUB’s they look good- I will send the rear one soon, maybe this week so I don’t have to move it- if you don’t wNt the steel bumper frame it will probably be scrappas I won’t have room to store it.

Phil

GN

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 25 2019, 06:57 AM
Post #400

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I went to one C & C in my stock 1.7. It got as much interest as any of the supercars there. People kept on coming up to me to tell me about there dad's 914 or one they had in college. A girl walked by and said "I like your car". Both me and the Ferrari owner parked next to me turned around and she was pointing to my car.

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 25 2019, 08:43 AM) *

Phil -

Thank you. All the reasons I probably will never back-date mine.

Yes - your 914 is absolutely one of the most beautiful ones I've ever seen. I don't have plans or the funds to take mine anywhere close to yours - so I'll enjoy yours from a distance.

Kudos on a superb car.

Took mine to local C&C yesterday. I was early, so I framed it properly: parked it next to a new Porsche GT3, 2- McLaren F-1's, and a Ford GT. Your car would have fit right next to them a whole lot better than mine!

A hundred cars there I think, and surprised at all the interest in my old 914, as raggedy as it is....the only one there.

GN

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 25 2019, 05:14 AM) *

Phil

GN

+Quote Post

27 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:45 PM