Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

27 Pages V « < 22 23 24 25 26 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dr Phil’s copper 914 restoration thread- paint and body work on deck- getting fenders fixed and car repainted! New thread to document process, Update:- some finishing touches - constant , never done LOL
DRPHIL914
post Nov 28 2022, 12:02 PM
Post #461

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

New custom leather shift boot, and the new tartan Scottish wool blanket from 914rubber , which is a awesome addition to coordinating with the interior and matching travel bags

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Nov 30 2022, 12:56 PM
Post #462

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 28 2022, 12:56 PM) *

well now that we are back up and running (Thanks Sir Andy!!!!) thought i’d post on my recent showing at the HHI Concours, i may have done that on a different thread like “what did you do to your 914 today” but need to put it here too.

Order of Merit Award at the “Car Club Jamboree” 2 weeks back.

You sure that you and Dennis Gage aren’t long lost brothers? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 30 2022, 03:30 PM
Post #463

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Nov 30 2022, 01:56 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 28 2022, 12:56 PM) *

well now that we are back up and running (Thanks Sir Andy!!!!) thought i’d post on my recent showing at the HHI Concours, i may have done that on a different thread like “what did you do to your 914 today” but need to put it here too.

Order of Merit Award at the “Car Club Jamboree” 2 weeks back.

You sure that you and Dennis Gage aren’t long lost brothers? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) Ha! i dont think so, not sure where he's from. we've seen him on tv for a long time, nice guy, very approachable unlike some other personalities in that industry.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 20 2023, 07:41 AM
Post #464

Dr. Phil

update to the thread as i try and keep some recent or current happenings to document the ongoing saga of 914 ownership!
since last november the Motor had to comeback out to again take care of a RMS leak, and having now driven it 500 miles since and been to Werks Reunion this month, so far so good so cheers to Ehrling RMS seals boo to VR,
Great trip met Magnus Walker etc
New additions to the car recently is a new to me OEM center console! the original one had been removed by a previous owner, and Roch from 914werke.com out west passes this on to me and it’s now in my car so the aftermarket repro one is gone!
also coming this week are new A-pillar trims from 914rubber and aalso new lower outer rocker panels in aluminum, from a 914 member here, so more pictures to come, but while motor was out it got new fuel lines, injectors, ans RMS with new purse rod tube seal and the motor got detailed and cleaned currently reads 11,200 miles so that is since the repaint ans body work almost 4 years ago, and 2500 since new motor build 2 years ago.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 20 2023, 07:45 AM
Post #465

Dr. Phil

more pics …

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 20 2023, 07:52 AM
Post #466

Dr. Phil

also had to install new fuel pump, old ones was probably 14 years old and the check valve in it was failing.
new pump, all cleaned up.
new clutch pully bracket from tangerine racing too

and new starter

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 20 2023, 08:25 AM
Post #467

Dr. Phil

i also shortened the tailpipes about 1.5”, they stuck out further than i thought looked good.
looks good with a couple new pieces of freshly painted tin,
new fuel lines had to happen , might as well

forgot to mention as well new intake runners and hoses and seals the other intake runners were not stock color , i had several sets ans recently got these from Bruce Stone,
with new accelerator ans clutch cables as well as e-brake cables, things are pretty fresh. the left rear caliper had a seal leak so that was also replaced a few months ago so new beaded brake lines when on with the new caliper that PMB replaced free of charge under warranty!!! the lines were new 10 years ago so i figured might as well do them while i had it out and had to flush the system anyway

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 20 2023, 08:37 AM
Post #468

Dr. Phil

the new clutch cable adaptor from Tangerine Racing is nice , now it’s not lower than the rear of the motor.

i do like my cover king car cover..

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 20 2023, 08:42 AM
Post #469

Dr. Phil

no picture of it but just making mention of it is a brand new restored rear relay board and cover, the board was redone by 914sixer and the covers are back in stock with Mark at 914rubber, they got those done for the late cars a month back or so. The relay board failed on me a year and ahalf ago and stranded me half way to Okteenerfest in 2021! only one i ever missed!.
- also new shift knob and new leather shift boot- i really should make anew list for 2022-2023 , but thats why i post it here to help remind myselft whats been done and when.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 20 2023, 08:45 AM
Post #470

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Dr Phil - Very nice work. Your car looks terrific. I really like the new tailpipe length- looks great. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Mar 21 2023, 12:08 AM
Post #471

Member No.: 21,449

Double DITTO from Virginia, Phil.

GN

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 20 2023, 08:45 AM) *

Dr Phil - Very nice work. Your car looks terrific. I really like the new tailpipe length- looks great. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 21 2023, 06:27 AM
Post #472

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

One of the best colors. Very nice result. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I like the interior.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 21 2023, 06:44 AM
Post #473

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Looking forward to seeing this one again at Okteenerfest. Last time for me was 2019 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) One of the best appointed 914s out there.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 21 2023, 07:02 AM
Post #474

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 21 2023, 08:44 AM) *

Looking forward to seeing this one again at Okteenerfest. Last time for me was 2019 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) One of the best appointed 914s out there.

it will be good to see you , man yea this car has come a long way since back then! and wow, it has been a while! ii think the car just came back from pain in 2019, and i had not done the whole interior etc yet. I still remember the transmission clinic we did at Scotty B's ! man that has to be about 8-9 years ago. So last year, or was it 2 now?, i had to pull the transmission due to the output shaft seal leak, and i went ahead and put the stock #4 and 5 gears back in, it just was too tall for the mountains but i could not have done that with out my rebuild DVD's!!!! btw after doing it a few times it really helped understand how the 914 transmission works, but no leaks and shifts like butter! just wanted to say thanks again and see you in September !
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Mar 21 2023, 09:22 AM
Post #475

Member No.: 2,939

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 21 2023, 05:02 AM) *

it will be good to see you , man yea this car has come a long way since back then! and wow, it has been a while! ii think the car just came back from pain in 2019, and i had not done the whole interior etc yet. I still remember the transmission clinic we did at Scotty B's ! man that has to be about 8-9 years ago. So last year, or was it 2 now?, i had to pull the transmission due to the output shaft seal leak, and i went ahead and put the stock #4 and 5 gears back in, it just was too tall for the mountains but i could not have done that with out my rebuild DVD's!!!! btw after doing it a few times it really helped understand how the 914 transmission works, but no leaks and shifts like butter! just wanted to say thanks again and see you in September !

And there's a photo of your car in the new PCA Panorama magazine, well done trip to represent our teeners! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 22 2023, 05:25 PM
Post #476

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Jamie @ Mar 21 2023, 11:22 AM) *

And there's a photo of your car in the new PCA Panorama magazine, well done trip to represent our teeners! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

thanks @Jamie
BTW there is also a nice video that Vu did at Werks featuring a few of the cars that caught his eye at Werks, the video can be found on youtube if you are a PCA member then you received an email with a link directly to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1W75XKzn6s

i hope this link works or should i say "werks" ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

anyway of the 5 minutes he spent about 15-20 seconds showing the inside and out of my car. Vu is a 914 owner as well.

Enjoy!
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Mar 22 2023, 07:06 PM
Post #477

Member No.: 2,939

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 22 2023, 03:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Jamie @ Mar 21 2023, 11:22 AM) *

thanks @Jamie
BTW there is also a nice video that Vu did at Werks featuring a few of the cars that caught his eye at Werks, the video can be found on youtube if you are a PCA member then you received an email with a link directly to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1W75XKzn6s

i hope this link works or should i say "werks" ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

anyway of the 5 minutes he spent about 15-20 seconds showing the inside and out of my car. Vu is a 914 owner as well.

Enjoy!

PCA Executives visited my Central KY Region several years ago, and Vu had just recently bought his 914, not running. I drove his wife for the tour in my 914, Vu wanted her to see that 914's were viable vehicles, and she did enjoy that 914s could actually be driven! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) When I spoke with him last fall his teener was still not driveable after all these years?
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Apr 5 2023, 07:19 AM
Post #478

Dr. Phil

@Jamie
yes Vu’s car is still incomplete

update: i am very happy to report my RMS is not leaking now, 2 months of driving following replacement. unfortunately somehow i didn’t get the left side rocker cover to seal well so it’s dripping on the heat exchanger on left side- SO i got new gaskets, ans will pull that this weekend and will use a gasket sealer i think maybe the cover might have distortion or warping not sure. that bottom edge has done that before, last time i had this issue too and it took a second try to get properly sealed. i am hoping that’s all it is and not a push rod tube again , i went thru a lot in february to pull so all new seals on those! other than that the motor is running great! problem is every time i want to get it out we have a major storm front come thru.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 8 2023, 05:31 AM
Post #479

Dr. Phil

Oh sh!t moment last night! while installing my starter tray/ford solenoid i was cleaning up and checking stuff. never ever have i had a cv bold back out, i used new schnor washers, torqued to spec but here we are, a very close call! these will get driven on a day and then rechecked and then safety wired before Okteenerfest trip , that was a close call!!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 8 2023, 06:12 AM
Post #480

Dr. Phil

Ford Solenoid install-

look at post 446, you see there is a new starter, that got pulled the solenoid failed, in fact 2 of them in 6 months, so the old reliable went back in, and is now in the car as picutured but, i also want to clean up the wire connections specifically the red ones at the + post, these are looking a bit worn and could be an issue with getting the voltage needed as well, but so far with old reliable no issues now, but just in case, adding this ford solenoid as well.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

27 Pages V « < 22 23 24 25 26 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:00 PM