Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> new uro cht sender question, Bought a uro cht sender with a washer on it
buck toenges
post Oct 29 2017, 05:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,388
Region Association: None

I bought a uro cht sender that has a steel colored washer on the threaded area. Does this replace the copper washer? It isn't steel since it won't stick to a magnet.

Thanks,
Buck
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BillC
post Oct 29 2017, 06:13 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(buck toenges @ Oct 29 2017, 07:18 PM) *

I bought a uro cht sender that has a steel colored washer on the threaded area. Does this replace the copper washer? It isn't steel since it won't stick to a magnet.

Thanks,
Buck

Might be an aluminum washer. Dead-soft aluminum is used as a sealing/crush washer almost as often as copper. So, if it is aluminum, it should work just fine. However, the rest of the URO product, well .... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 29 2017, 06:21 PM
Post #3

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

I was just consolidating Porsche and Datsun parts in my storage garage so I can get rid of some boxes and have more room. I have at least a half dozen Bosch CHT including one new in box. If that URO stuff doesn't work, I'll put a bunch of Porsche ones up for sale soon...
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 29 2017, 10:05 PM
Post #4

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Why did you buy the URO version?
Send it back I'll meet any URO price.Again we made these and they decided to try to step on us. SO F-em!

There is more than just the washer that a problem there.
The body is steel and they zinc plated it. So you put Zinc plated steel into aluminum and use it to measure resistance (read small current as it is grounded to the head) Sound like a recipe for corrosion? It gets better. As you get corrosion the part will measure or not measure differently changing your cold start map.

We made ours from stainless.

What did it cost?
+Quote Post
buck toenges
post Oct 30 2017, 06:28 AM
Post #5

I just looked up pelican and that is what they have. I didn't know Rubber had there own.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 30 2017, 06:33 AM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Send it back to Pelican and when they ask why explain that you heard on 914World that URO makes poor quality parts and that you're disappointed they carry them. Tell them you're buying it from 914Rubber.

Little bit of effort, but worth it to support one of our own. And you get a better quality part out of it.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 30 2017, 10:47 AM
Post #7

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with Mark; both of them. Your dollar is your vote and your "vote" will help educate Pelican. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
NeunEinVier
post Oct 31 2017, 10:56 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 19,488

You could get this NOS one if you're okay with using OEM, has a steel body and aluminum washer tho.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=318849

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
second wind
post Jul 13 2022, 12:05 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,543
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 29 2017, 05:21 PM) *

I was just consolidating Porsche and Datsun parts in my storage garage so I can get rid of some boxes and have more room. I have at least a half dozen Bosch CHT including one new in box. If that URO stuff doesn't work, I'll put a bunch of Porsche ones up for sale soon...

Hello...I would love to be on the list of people asking for one of you NOS cht's. Please include me and I will promptly pay your price. Do you have a part number you could share? Thank you very much!
gg
+Quote Post
buck toenges
post Jul 13 2022, 06:54 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(second wind @ Jul 13 2022, 02:05 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 29 2017, 05:21 PM) *

Hello...I would love to be on the list of people asking for one of you NOS cht's. Please include me and I will promptly pay your price. Do you have a part number you could share? Thank you very much!
gg

This is an old thread that was resurrected from a post about a bad uro cht.
+Quote Post
Van B
post Jul 13 2022, 10:31 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 26,011

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 30 2017, 12:05 AM) *

Why did you buy the URO version?
Send it back I'll meet any URO price.Again we made these and they decided to try to step on us. SO F-em!

There is more than just the washer that a problem there.
The body is steel and they zinc plated it. So you put Zinc plated steel into aluminum and use it to measure resistance (read small current as it is grounded to the head) Sound like a recipe for corrosion? It gets better. As you get corrosion the part will measure or not measure differently changing your cold start map.

We made ours from stainless.

What did it cost?

Mike, I know this is an old thread, and don't take this the wrong way, but the effort you put into that post would be far better spent on your product listing so that everyone can know.

I would also say that on a galvanic corrosion index, zinc is much closer to aluminum which is why zinc plating is so effective in automotive parts. Stainless on the otherhand may have strong resistance to oxidation on it's own, but its anodic properties are on the other end of the scale and can heavily corrode aluminum.

https://www.monarchmetal.com/blog/galvanic-...tions-answered/

Van
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 13 2022, 10:48 AM
Post #12

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

The grounding of the sensor is important, however my money is on the internal failure. More likely the connection to the sensor. There is not a lot of voltage here and the failure was quick.
We initially made these from stainless and the testing had very little variation in resistance throughout the temperature range.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:42 PM