Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CV joint / inner flange question, Is there a gasket or something that should go between?
mgphoto
post Nov 2 2017, 10:05 AM
Post #21

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 1 2017, 09:26 AM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Nov 1 2017, 11:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 1 2017, 08:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 1 2017, 10:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 1 2017, 10:21 AM) *

Never had an issue with metal to metal.

When the gaskets are installed properly the metal to metal contact is maintained.

Maybe I had a shitty run of bad gaskets over several years and cars, but tq to spec didn't seem to hold. Over tq was not very good either. Gaskets bulged out. Do you know of differences in gaskets?

Printed side toward flange?

Not all have printed side. Interesting point. Not sure it would matter, though. If so, its news to me.

Cheap gaskets don't have the paper which is the grease barrier. The paper surface is similar to the transmission gaskets.
914 cv joints (I can't speak for 911, 930 and 944 replacement axles) have a ridge built into the mating surface. That gap is for the "crush" part of the quality gasket.
When placing the paper surface gasket against the drive flange, it is now the grease barrier, whereas if the paper surface was placed against the cv it would be in the recess which would not prevent grease sling from the mating surface because of the more porous crush material.
My logic, it could be flawed.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 2 2017, 10:39 AM
Post #22

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

I re-read this and wanted to put into context. I'm not taking offense to the previous comment. There may be some manufactures that are not using the correct material.
It is a few $ more.

The paper itself has a wax impregnated into it. The paper itself is a physical barrier, as well as paper being designed for this application. I could make these out of Viton if I wanted. But instead I used the "cheap" option. For those of you that want to pay more I'm happy to make out of whatever material you specify. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Mark
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Nov 2 2017, 11:37 AM
Post #23

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 2 2017, 09:39 AM) *

I re-read this and wanted to put into context. I'm not taking offense to the previous comment. There may be some manufactures that are not using the correct material.
It is a few $ more.

The paper itself has a wax impregnated into it. The paper itself is a physical barrier, as well as paper being designed for this application. I could make these out of Viton if I wanted. But instead I used the "cheap" option. For those of you that want to pay more I'm happy to make out of whatever material you specify. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Mark

Mark,
I wasn't making comments on any manufacturer, especially you. I laud you for your commitment to the 914 community.
But in the real world "cheap" or inexpensive would be just the ticket for a guy who needs to pull his tranny 3 times in an event weekend, cheap might be just the ticket.
I am not asking you to change any items or materials, but it is good to know you could produce something needed by someone here doing something different.
My comment on cheap was meant as economics not production quality.
Mike
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 2 2017, 11:28 PM
Post #24

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

No,
I did get that what I had typed could be read as if I took offense to the comment. I pretty much do what supports the community. If 10 guys stepped up and said, you know what I would like mine in Viton, I could make that happen. Only a matter of scale.

I do appreciate the Garage banter, it's how things get done.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 09:23 PM