Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine lid hinge repair
post May 24 2020, 01:38 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,791
Region Association: Southern California

I just ran into this problem too. Looks like it's been repaired before. How do you take the old ones off to put new ones on? Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post May 24 2020, 01:47 PM
Post #22

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Drill out those spot welds with a spot weld bit. Use a chisel or old screw driver and a hammer to break what's left of the welds and get it off the firewall, but try to be careful not to tear the firewall itself. Grind off what's left.
+Quote Post
post May 27 2020, 05:57 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 8,791
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ May 24 2020, 12:47 PM) *

Drill out those spot welds with a spot weld bit. Use a chisel or old screw driver and a hammer to break what's left of the welds and get it off the firewall, but try to be careful not to tear the firewall itself. Grind off what's left.

Thank you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Rikyrat
post May 27 2020, 11:47 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 22,844
Region Association: None

Hey, I had the same problem with my hinge cracked across the middle which prevented the deck lid from opening smoothly, so I used a little back yard ingenuity.

What is did was go to Homer Depot, and found an L-bracket, that would fit over the nut head in the middle, cut it to length, and welded it in, would have included a photo, but my welding skills, are not the best, then painted it.

Looks as though it will hold, there is no longer any sag in it, and it seems to be fairly sturdy. I will know when I get it all back to together. As, I am working on my megasquirt setup.

Just my 2cents
+Quote Post
dangrouche
post May 28 2020, 09:38 AM
Post #25

dangrouche

Member No.: 2,012
Region Association: None

here's my technique using a piece of "L" bracket. Cut a corner off of it (or use any metal bit) as a gusset and weld it onto both sides of the hinge bracket. the long screw was used as the ground for the welding and to put tension on the bracket to close the gap of the cracks. I did not want to have to try to weld a new bracket onto thin metal or lose the placement of the OEM bracket. This was my second repair of the existing hinge bracket from 6 months earlier. for the first repair, I welded at the cracked joints, but the hinge flexed and cracked the welds. The current repair is solid and does not flex anymore.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 10:05 PM