Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: HF welding helmets, Any good? Stay away? Recommendations?
mgphoto
post Nov 2 2017, 07:55 AM
Post #21

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

spend a few extra dollars and get a better helmet. I bought and used the HF for a while, was ok but I bought a better helmet, when the batteries gave out and everything got better, even got some cheeter lenses for close up work. I should have bought the better one at first.
When your done, you can sell the better helmet off, used HF helmets aren't worth much.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 2 2017, 07:57 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Heavy use is a very interesting term.. I have taught welding for about 20 years so I have seen it all.. Heavy use is 40 hours a week welding . that is no place for HF garbage.. Anyone worth it in the industry welds with quality helmets because last I heard eye transplants were kind of painful.. So for a tradesmen 40dollars versus 300 is a no brainer..

Now for a weekend warrior like 99% of the folks on the forum's a 40 dollar helmet works just fine.. Even people doing restorations are Probably fine. The Arc time is so limited as for the most part they are just plug welding then spend the 40 bucks and your fine but spend the other 27 dollars on an lpr-100 miller respirator or the likes that fits under the helmet..

I am often suprised how much we neglect our health in these conversations..

Here is my son using a respirator and a 300 dollar helmet..Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 2 2017, 07:58 AM
Post #23

914 Guru

Attached Image
+Quote Post
PlantMan
post Nov 2 2017, 08:09 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 17,352

I see that Eastwood has a panoramic helmet now with a very large viewing area. Not sure how practical this is but a neat idea.....runs around $200.

I spent a little over $100 for my last helmet and it was a enormous improvement over the cheaper HF type. I don't weld a lot but the quality of my work has improved.
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Nov 2 2017, 08:16 AM
Post #25

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

You're right Ben, I never thought about a respirator. So, I just ordered one with extra filter and case. About $60 bucks well spent. Thanks!
lpr-100 miller respirator
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Nov 2 2017, 09:21 AM
Post #26

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

As a Miller / Lincoln Electric vendor I would get a lot of grief if I had these HF helmets in my shop..then again I have two HF Helmets at home that I have used sparingly and they have never let me down....4 years and going strong.

My 2 cents...Great for occasional use, probably not recommended for the professional / full-time welder.

Oscar
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 2 2017, 09:22 AM
Post #27

914 Guru

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Nov 2 2017, 07:21 AM) *

As a Miller / Lincoln Electric vendor I would get a lot of grief if I had these HF helmets in my shop..then again I have two HF Helmets at home that I have used sparingly and they have never let me down....4 years and going strong.

My 2 cents...Great for occasional use, probably not recommended for the professional / full-time welder.

Oscar

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Nov 2 2017, 10:22 AM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 2 2017, 09:22 AM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Nov 2 2017, 07:21 AM) *

Oscar

It's like tools because it IS a tool. For home use some of your less expensive tools will work fine but working 10 hrs a day, 5 days a week for 30 years like I did I always used the best. I'd buy the cheap stuff from pawn shops to modify for the odd angles and stuff but my bread and butter tools were top shelf. And middle shelf. In fact all of my shelves were full of the good stuff!
+Quote Post
seanpaulmc
post Nov 2 2017, 10:56 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 20,649
Region Association: South East States

Eye protection it is. I do not want to take chances with eye safety, and why I wanted to ask on here. I knew you guys would give great recommendations. Will look for a good quality welding helmet. Thank you all!

Respirator? I had never given that a thought before. I am not used to seeing people use them, but I can see why that is a sensible recommendation. Will do that too.

-Sean
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 2 2017, 11:27 AM
Post #30

914 Guru

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=htt...%2F182855115398
+Quote Post
sithot
post Nov 2 2017, 01:35 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 7,090
Region Association: None

QUOTE(seanpaulmc @ Nov 2 2017, 12:56 PM) *

Respirator? I had never given that a thought before. I am not used to seeing people use them, but I can see why that is a sensible recommendation. Will do that too.

-Sean

A friend who is a certified pressure vessel welder recommends them to all of his students. He said his "FEV" (Forced Expiration Volume) isn't as good as when he was young man.
Good ventilation will help and if you aren't doing it day in and day out I wouldn't be too concerned. It is, however, a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyIRpS3ZdQ4...eature=youtu.be
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 2 2017, 01:57 PM
Post #32

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I make it a habit to try and put a fan behind me when I am welding for any length of time.

Most respirators do not fit under a helmet, IMHO this is a decent solution to the toxic gases being released.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 2 2017, 03:35 PM
Post #33

914 Guru

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 2 2017, 11:57 AM) *

I make it a habit to try and put a fan behind me when I am welding for any length of time.

Most respirators do not fit under a helmet, IMHO this is a decent solution to the toxic gases being released.

Thats whats nice about the lpr 100.. Fits right under the helmet..

All of my students get them as required equipment..
+Quote Post
burton73
post Nov 2 2017, 03:51 PM
Post #34

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 2 2017, 12:57 PM) *

I do the same thing and have an exhaust fan to outside.

Bob B (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 2 2017, 03:53 PM
Post #35

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

While not as good as the above respirators these do work, and look (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) after a long welding sessions.

I know have proper ventilation and filtering system that you Scott (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) but still keep a few of these around when I can't weld in the shop, fits under the mask just fine.

I also upgraded from my Miller helmets as I found them flacking out, and so did my son-in-laws. Between us we went through 4 helmets in 6 months. He was a professional welder, welding pressurized vessels for 60+ hours a week. I went with a Jackson Safety mask, night and day difference over the Millers.

After I ordered that one, my Brother-In-law got a job at the local welding supply shop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Could have gotten one on discount. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 2 2017, 05:33 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Cheap welding helmets are exactly that,ask me how I know,in most cases the battery fails and you can't change it,I do a lot of welding and treated myself to a good quality one recently,if you are learning to weld you need the advantage that a good helmet offers...end of story.
Arc eye is nasty ,I don't get it easily but when I do I know,if you wear glasses you find the better helmets are a must ,if you buy a cheap helmet you need to consider your eyesight.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 10:08 PM