Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Totalled my (first) 914 in 3 weeks, No insurance... please help
Dan_F
post May 25 2005, 12:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,759

I bought a nice '74 1.8 from Craig on our WCC trip. Drove it home from Portland (1100 miles), parked it in the driveway. Bought "antique" registration for the car due to it being 30+ years old. Had an appraisal done on Friday May 13 so that I could buy "stated value" insurance. Was working on my other car... decided to drive the 914 while waiting for the appraisal to be returned. Was supposed to receive it on Sunday or Monday (May 15-16). Didn't hear from the appraiser so I called him on Tuesday or Wednesday, no answer. Thursday comes and I needed to drive across the city, still messing with the other car so I drive the 914. Turn left across a poorly designed intersection with terrible traffic light sequence and get nailed. Get a ticket for the accident, get put at fault for the accident.
My antique registration/insurance limits me to a maximum of $800 minus a $500 deductible. I received the appraisal back on Saturday afternoon (less than 2 days after) and it came out at $12,500.
Now the fight begins to try to get paid something for the car. I have a letter from my insurance broker stating I was in there for the stated value policy on April 27 when I got my antique insurance but needed a certified appraisal. I have the appraisal dated May 13 with the receipt dated May 21. Accident was on May 19.
Things don't look good...
I'm hoping to get paid something for the car but I'm expecting to get nothing. If that's the case I think I will start looking for a bare car to swap my parts into so I at least have something to drive. Any tips or suggestions on what my best plan may be?
I've had a few cars in the past that I was wishing would get totalled, but I've never been in an accident. I finally get a car that I absolutely love and hope to keep and it gets destroyed, with no insurance. This sucks.
The only good thing is that I didn't have anybody with me otherwise they would have
been injured.

Before...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(60 - 60)
BPGREER
post Jul 4 2005, 02:30 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,857

Saskatchewan like Manitoba only has one insurance company. Government run.

Monopolies don't sit well with me. That must be the definition of "what's the worst case...". Hope the rain let's up so you can get to work. Makes my 914 "to do list" look awful easy. Good luck.

-Brian
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:37 PM