Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Totalled my (first) 914 in 3 weeks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dan_F
I bought a nice '74 1.8 from Craig on our WCC trip. Drove it home from Portland (1100 miles), parked it in the driveway. Bought "antique" registration for the car due to it being 30+ years old. Had an appraisal done on Friday May 13 so that I could buy "stated value" insurance. Was working on my other car... decided to drive the 914 while waiting for the appraisal to be returned. Was supposed to receive it on Sunday or Monday (May 15-16). Didn't hear from the appraiser so I called him on Tuesday or Wednesday, no answer. Thursday comes and I needed to drive across the city, still messing with the other car so I drive the 914. Turn left across a poorly designed intersection with terrible traffic light sequence and get nailed. Get a ticket for the accident, get put at fault for the accident.
My antique registration/insurance limits me to a maximum of $800 minus a $500 deductible. I received the appraisal back on Saturday afternoon (less than 2 days after) and it came out at $12,500.
Now the fight begins to try to get paid something for the car. I have a letter from my insurance broker stating I was in there for the stated value policy on April 27 when I got my antique insurance but needed a certified appraisal. I have the appraisal dated May 13 with the receipt dated May 21. Accident was on May 19.
Things don't look good...
I'm hoping to get paid something for the car but I'm expecting to get nothing. If that's the case I think I will start looking for a bare car to swap my parts into so I at least have something to drive. Any tips or suggestions on what my best plan may be?
I've had a few cars in the past that I was wishing would get totalled, but I've never been in an accident. I finally get a car that I absolutely love and hope to keep and it gets destroyed, with no insurance. This sucks.
The only good thing is that I didn't have anybody with me otherwise they would have
been injured.

Before...
Dan_F
After...
Dan_F
another
Dan_F
some more
Dan_F
twisted
Dan_F
driver's door sticking
Dan_F
exhaust hit the center meridian when I was spun
McMark
That seriously sucks. Always hate to see another one die. sad.gif I hope you can at least get some $ out of it.

Sucks. Lotta good parts there though.
Dan_F
right rear donut facing forward
Dan_F
underside facing rear
tat2dphreak
damn man, that sux... sad.gif

sorry man... i think you are right to not expect much, but I know how it must pain you...
Dan_F
I don't think it's repairable, but the cops let me drive it home and it still drives okay.
I should be able to salvage the parts if I can find a decent body to put them in. Around here, that's gonna be tough. Does anybody have any leads??
914werke
NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo! headbang.gif
Dan sorry to hear. At first glance I though "thats fixable" confused24.gif
SirAndy
you'll need a body shop that has the factory porsche fixtures.
i'm sure this (the frame) can be straightened out ...

contact scott yeaman at yeaman autobody in palo alto.
he does have the fixtures and the bench to pull the frame back to factory specs ...

Yeaman Autobody
2025 East Bayshore Road
Palo Alto, CA 94303
tel.: 650 328-8169

Scott's a 914 guy, he'll be able to help ...
smash.gif Andy
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Dan_F @ May 25 2005, 01:15 PM)
I don't think it's repairable, but the cops let me drive it home and it still drives okay.
I should be able to salvage the parts if I can find a decent body to put them in. Around here, that's gonna be tough. Does anybody have any leads??

I think it could be repaired... not cheaply, but replacing it won't be much cheaper if at all...
McMark
Fixing it would probably be cheaper than getting a nice new tub up there. But I'd only get it fixed with the factory tools Andy is talking about.
DrifterJay
brings a tear... sad.gif
Scott Carlberg
Dan,
sorry to hear about your accident.

What about You, personally/physically?
Here's hoping you were NOT injured beer.gif

Jenny
QUOTE (SirAndy @ May 25 2005, 11:18 AM)
contact scott yeaman at yeaman autobody in palo alto.
he does have the fixtures and the bench to pull the frame back to factory specs ...

Saskachewan (or however it's spelled) is a long haul to Palo Alto. He can probably find someone local. Maybe not a 914 person, but it depends on how much that's worth to Dan.

Jen
Lyressa Roberts
Oh, dude...that sux.
That was a beautiful car...
drgchapman
What a shame. I saw that car at Craig's, nice one......was. We have a 73 signal orange 2.0 using as daily driver as the weather drys up here in Portland. Seem to have our own share of near misses......don't seem to happen as much with Suburban or Mercedes. I don't see a target on the side of the car! I hope you find a suitable tub to rebuild with. If not you have some mighty fine looking bumpers there........
jet1
ohmy.gif that sux!!

Good luck with the insurance.
Allan
That really blows... ohmy.gif Sorry to hear about the accident.

It still warms my heart when a teener sacrifices itself to protect it's driver.
Eric Taylor
Man. I think we need a moment of silence for that one. I'm sadder about this then when my cat died. I remember when you got that car. It was a beauty. Wasn't that jims car at one point? From tennessee or something. Anyway, I seriously feel for you because i've been there. It sucks to total a 914. If it helps here are the pictures of the tree that hit me.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....&threadid=89380

In my case it was twisted as well. Frame machine helped, but it was done sauce. I got a really nice 72 replacement for it and that made the pain a little less. Oh yeah no insurance on that one either.

Eric
jet1
I am surprised the windshield did not crack. It looks like it popped out a little.
Aaron Cox
ouch! what happened??????
914GT
It's a car. Be glad you didn't get hit on the driver's door.
rhodyguy
bummer eh? glad to hear you are okay. i'll have to reread the ins hassle. bottom line hold on to the car. there's plenty of parts to help you recoup your loses. perhaps a post dated apprasial from one in the know, aka camp914.

k
TravisNeff
Did you have a policy bound? Meaning did you pay money for a policy, then waiting for the apprasial only? Or were you waiting to bind coverage after the appraisal was done?

If you paid money for a policy, and your coverage dates were covering the accident date - you indeed have coverage. I don't know if you have a department of insurance in Canada - but I'd check it out and involve them if possible.

Good luck, glad you walked away.
TravisNeff
If they are going to state that your car was not insured - there is a generalized auto insurance (at least in the states) sort of rule. You have 30 days to notify your insurance provider of new car, during that period you are covered under the same amounts as your other cars on your policy. That may have been the rule for the insurance company I worked for - worth investigating. Also, if the broker did write you a policy and the insurance company will not cover you - there may be a liability on the brokers part. Most likely a claim on their "EO" or errors and omissions policy that he should have to write business.
Dan_F
Thanks for the sympathy everyone... the car was owned by Jim Chambers, originally from Nebraska.
There's alot of new parts on the car, all bumper rubber is brand new, seats and backpad were just recovered, paint was brand new, etc. Trunk seals and door seals were just replaced.

I think taking the car to Palo Alto is out of the question, I'm assuming it would cost thousands to repair. Is that a fair assumption?
I have no idea where the closest place would be that has the proper equipment but it's interesting to hear that it looks fixable.

As for insurance, I didn't have any kind of policy set up yet because I was told I needed the appraisal to apply. The appraisal was done before the accident but I had not received the paperwork yet. The insurance broker that I bought the basic insurance from is helping me out but I don't know if that will be enough.

The most important thing is that my girlfriend wasn't with me. A passenger would have been hurt quite bad I think.

I was hit by a Toyota Tercel. A bigger vehicle would have made me much less fortunate physically as I would have smashed into the meridian. The only pain is financial and that can be fixed over time. Could be worse I guess.
Toast
Thats the side I always get hit on. mad.gif

Sorry, that really sucks. Looks like frame is bent, definatly totaled. sad.gif

I wish you luck getting $. Insurance may deny because you did not recieve your notice until 2 days after accident.

Good luck.
Gint
Ouch! Glad to hear you're OK.

Been there. I feel your pain. That looks like it can be fixed to me. If you can get it fixed properly, in the long run I don't think it would cost much more than finding a replacement tub in your neck of the woods.
GWN7
Sorry to hear about that, but glad your ok.

Wait till you hear from SPIC (or whatever it's called) before you decide.

It might be fixable, but you will be without the car for a long time. Try your local trades college to see if they are interested in repairing it for their autobody courses.

or I know where a roller is.... Nevada car, needs all the nice parts yours has. Only problem is that it will be a few weeks before it can be accessed (too much water here to get to it)

only pic I have of it....
SLITS
I know the Canucks are not backward.....do the research thingy and find a frame repair shop with a good frame puller and ask them what it would cost to pull it back....you'll have a better idea then of what to do.

While shipping sucks...I have a door and full rear clip if you want to repair it. I'll cut it, you pay for shipping...nothing else.
joeav8tor
sorry brother! that sucks...at least you walked away from it unharmed....but it still hurts...it hurts me to look at the pictures. Hopefully it will work out for you, hang in there. Have a couple of these... beer3.gif beer3.gif
Joe
mihai914
Call the Canadian Insurance Bureau and talk to one of their reps. They are supposed to be watching insurance companys in Canada. Although they do not have any power to get things in your favor, they can suggest you the beat way to go through a problem with an insurance company.

www.ibc.ca is their website.

These guys are supposed to be neutral but most of the time they know it's the small guy against the big assholes so they will tell you the tricks to put them on their knees if you are in the right to do so of course.

Mihai
Porsche Rescue
I feel for you Dan. Hope you can get a decent settlement.
GWN7
Saskatchewan has SGI or Saskatchewan Government Insurance (not SPIC as I previously posted Sask. Public Ins. Corp.) Here it's MPIC. Both are a crown corporation.

Hard to fight the government. sad.gif

rick 918-S
I owned a Cellette chassis table like Sir Andy mentioned. I wouldn't fix that car. Cowl hits are the worse. I can see the windsheild pillar and cowl are rolled in. The roll bar is distorted, the back half is kicked up.... Bad hit.... sorry sad.gif Really glad your ok, it was a really nice car. Maybe you can make a deal with Bruce.
jim_hoyland
I saw a mint 914 get hit by a snow plow; everyone thought it was all over. Looked worse than yours. Guy took it to a body shop that had a laser fram straightening jig and a great body guy. That car still looks perfect today.

Allan
QUOTE (914GT @ May 25 2005, 12:08 PM)
It's a car. Be glad you didn't get hit on the driver's door.

agree.gif This is important. I don't know how well a 914 would protect you if the blow comes from the drivers side. She would probably give her life, but would it be enough???

Glad you are okay.....
TROJANMAN
how fast was the other guy going? that looks like a lot of damage to come from a tercel. unsure.gif
mike_the_man
Hmm, there are a couple of decent frame shops around here, that might be able to do it. It wouldn't hurt to talk to them. That tub of Bruce's looks pretty nice too. A road trip to Winnipeg may be in order!

Porsche Rescue
Go for the red car that Bruce shows. All your stuff will make it a nice car and you'll have those flares!
orange914
hey i just got in an accident also but it is not NEAR as bad, here is a pic...
boxstr
DAN,DAN,DAN, That is the worst. I just got home and saw the email from Jim Chambers. If there is anything I can help with let me know. No I can't give you back your check, nice try.
CCLINFRAMERACK
a.munoz3
owwwww man! wacko.gif cant look at the pics it makes me feel all weird inside. unsure.gif
redshift
It's disheartening... it'll be ok, glad you are with us.

smilie_pokal.gif

M
Brando
You lived, that is #1. I'm sorry to see your car in such dis-repair. sad2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.