Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Totalled my (first) 914 in 3 weeks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dan_F
Thanks for all of the tips/suggestions from everyone.

As of right now, I think Bruce's car is the way to go. I'll check around with frame shops and maybe the auto body school just to see what they think of it. I'm doubtful the car would ever stay properly aligned though... the driver door is sticking pretty bad so the whole car is twisted. I'm not a body guy though so I don't know.

Craig - I'm not happy with the car... I'll drive it back and I'll even let you keep my deposit. No hard feelings. smile.gif

Everything will work out in the end... it always does. Not like it's the first car I've lost money on. rolleyes.gif

I will update when I hear from the insurance adjuster.
rhodyguy
there's a guy in oregon that has a grand cheerokee(sp) and a tow dolly, with a super clean silver chassis. metaline falls wa is beatiful this time of the year and a stones throw from the border. happy11.gif

k
CptTripps
That kind of stuff makes me nervous to drive mine anymore! But in the end...they are just cars.
Dan_F
Update...
I just received a call from my insurance broker. He was much more than helpful and went all the way up to the head of the auto department of the insurance company to help me out. They won't budge on the $300 maximum payout.

This sucks big time but what's done is done and I am going to try to make the most of it. I will be buying the roller from Bruce and taking on the biggest project of my life by swapping my parts over. Luckily I have a couple friends with good mechanical skills, alot of motivation to get back on the road in a 914, and alot of resources on this site.

If all goes relatively well, I should be going again for another couple thousand Canadian dollars and alot of work. The only thing I will really need to find is a passenger window and door guts. I should have everything else between the two chassis.

Now if it would just stop raining so Bruce can get at the car...

Chalk one up to a life lesson learned. headbang.gif
Joe Bob
Big deal....he went to the head dickhead in charge of the COMPANY THAT WANTS TO SCREW YOU....take it up with the government agency that oversees insurance companies...file a formal complaint.
redshift
Dood.. that sucks.

Have you considered stealing a car, and playing bumper cars, at their headquarters?

I did!

M
GWN7
QUOTE (Manfred Z @ Jun 30 2005, 05:15 PM)
Big deal....he went to the head dickhead in charge of the COMPANY THAT WANTS TO SCREW YOU....take it up with the government agency that oversees insurance companies...file a formal complaint.

Saskatchewan like Manitoba only has one insurance company. Government run. They make the rules and there is very little you can do to change their minds.

We had another 3" - 5" of rain yesterday. Some parts of the province had 275mm (11" of rain in the last 24hrs) There are 5 watershed basins that drain Manitoba (an area the size of North & South Dakota & Minnesota) every one of the basins is under flood alert.

If things stay dry (fat chance of that) it will be at least a month before I can get to the car at the farm.

Dan,

I have the passenger door off the orange 72 but it's a early style. There should be extra door/window parts that came with the 74 in my shed. I have to look.
Joe Bob
Well they answer to SOMEBODY don't they?
GWN7
Nope.....Crown Corporation...set up as a semi independant company with government funding...... They make the rules and if they don't like anyone winning by playing their rules, they have the governmet pass new laws so you can't win.

The man in charge would be the Minister of Highways, but all he would do is say "Sorry those are the rules"
Dan_F
Like Bruce said, it's gov't run insurance here and it's luck of the draw generally. I still have not signed anything agreeing with them but I'm not sure how else I can try to fight this without spending big $$$ in legal fees when the judge is paid by the same people that run the insurance company.

The guy's reason that they can't budge is if they do it for me they would have to do it for everybody that claimed they were going to get insurance. I said I could understand if I had received the appraisal and got in an accident several months later, but in this case I was obviously just waiting for the appraisal to get the full policy. He agrees but "rules are rules".

The best part of the deal though, I got a $220 ticket for the accident for a failure to yeild to oncoming traffic. For being in an at-fault accident, the insurance company has charged me $100 due to points deductions. After I pay the traffic ticket, I will receive more points deductions which the insurance company will charge me another $200. Sweet, eh? I'm sure glad I had insurance. Gives me piece of mind. screwy.gif

Bruce, it's been raining here almost everyday also. Worst summer ever.
Anyway, let me know if things ever get better out there... maybe we'll have to make an ice road in the winter like they do in the muskeg.

Have you considered stealing a car, and playing bumper cars, at their headquarters?

I did!

huh.gif That's a tempting thought. Did it help for you?
BPGREER
Saskatchewan like Manitoba only has one insurance company. Government run.

Monopolies don't sit well with me. That must be the definition of "what's the worst case...". Hope the rain let's up so you can get to work. Makes my 914 "to do list" look awful easy. Good luck.

-Brian
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.