Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Saratoga Top
wes
post Sep 20 2018, 07:11 PM
Post #21

wes

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,436
Region Association: Northern California

I had a Saratoga top and even on a somewhat cooler and bright cloudy day there like a greenhouse. I have one of Mark’s 914Ruber tops and they are much cooler. Wouldn’t be a good idea for a warm sunny day but that’s when the top is in the trunk. I consider the 914rubber top much better also because it doesn’t Whistle as I drive like my old Saratoga tops did. As it generally gos Mark’s products are the improved version!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nickg
post Sep 20 2018, 09:25 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 2,652

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 19 2018, 09:15 PM) *

Redid the tooling just need to get some bonded up. The time consuming part is polishing these.

do you have any pictures of these> cost?
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 20 2018, 11:39 PM
Post #23

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

We had put them to the side for awhile as the polishing is massively labor intensive.
We have also looked at a few improvements that we can make. These are on the priority list. Let me roll this one around the shop and production. We do need to get these on the schedule as most of the parts are made.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Sep 21 2018, 12:00 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Mark, you really need to stop talking about your tops in every single post that comes up about Saratoga tops or any possible chance you get. I signed up for your group buy for your top at least 6 years ago! I pulled out in early 2014 and yes you made it right, but jeez man stop leading people on like it's just around the corner.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 21 2018, 10:01 AM
Post #25

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

They are a huge project I do plan to complete. They probably take up 5% of my shop space, so yes I have not given up on them, but really there has not been that much demand. I did a run of 12, with another 5 after that. I have enough material to do another 5 on hand, but they take about 20 hours each to finish. I haven't been able to break off that much time. So yes, they are right around the corner. If I had 5 guys that said yes I want them, it would put more weight into that project and make me complete them. They would be about $1000 each complete.
+Quote Post
petza914
post Sep 21 2018, 10:08 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 2,410
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 21 2018, 08:01 AM) *

If I had 5 guys that said yes I want them, it would put more weight into that project and make me complete them. They would be about $1000 each complete.

If the good Dr doesn't want to sell me his, I'd be in for 1.
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Sep 21 2018, 10:42 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

These tops sound kind of interesting, can someone post a picture or two of them on the car?
+Quote Post
nickg
post Sep 21 2018, 09:48 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 2,652

They are a huge project I do plan to complete. They probably take up 5% of my shop space, so yes I have not given up on them, but really there has not been that much demand. I did a run of 12, with another 5 after that. I have enough material to do another 5 on hand, but they take about 20 hours each to finish. I haven't been able to break off that much time. So yes, they are right around the corner. If I had 5 guys that said yes I want them, it would put more weight into that project and make me complete them. They would be about $1000 each complete.

I will buy one
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 25 2018, 06:32 AM
Post #29

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

not the best picture but it is the WAS top on the car right after gettingit

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Sep 25 2018, 06:40 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 13,069
Region Association: Upper MidWest

If you want one of these tops just post a WTB there a lot of these just sitting in storage. Does anyone have a Chalon kit for sale, Lol!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 25 2018, 06:40 AM
Post #31

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(petza914 @ Sep 21 2018, 12:08 PM) *

If I had 5 guys that said yes I want them, it would put more weight into that project and make me complete them. They would be about $1000 each complete.

sorry I have not gotten back to you about this, I have been pretty busy and forgot, I will send you a few pictures because there are a couple minor flaws that I will have to point out. I know the tops mark will be doing new will have a better fit and finish that the first run of the I am sure. There are always improvements on things like this froma production standpoint, version 1, vs version 2or 3. I am a bit conflicted as to whether or not I want to sell it but I have 3 tops in my garage, my original one that is pristine condition, and one that the PO painted body color and put a pop up moon roof into it( I actually like this one for hot days here as it keeps my head from being fried but lets lots of air move thru better) and the WAS/Saratoga. Almost sold it 2 years ago at Okteenerfest , I actually offered it up for sale at $500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) and the guy passed on it(I think we paid $750 on the group buy plus shipping) I am glad he didn't buy it as I think its worth keeping if I cant sell it for more than that.
But you will like having one I think, they do not have the same thermal effect as those glass tops. and they are very light.

PHil
+Quote Post
petza914
post Sep 25 2018, 07:21 AM
Post #32

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 25 2018, 04:40 AM) *

QUOTE(petza914 @ Sep 21 2018, 12:08 PM) *

sorry I have not gotten back to you about this, I have been pretty busy and forgot, I will send you a few pictures because there are a couple minor flaws that I will have to point out. I know the tops mark will be doing new will have a better fit and finish that the first run of the I am sure. There are always improvements on things like this froma production standpoint, version 1, vs version 2or 3. I am a bit conflicted as to whether or not I want to sell it but I have 3 tops in my garage, my original one that is pristine condition, and one that the PO painted body color and put a pop up moon roof into it( I actually like this one for hot days here as it keeps my head from being fried but lets lots of air move thru better) and the WAS/Saratoga. Almost sold it 2 years ago at Okteenerfest , I actually offered it up for sale at $500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) and the guy passed on it(I think we paid $750 on the group buy plus shipping) I am glad he didn't buy it as I think its worth keeping if I cant sell it for more than that.
But you will like having one I think, they do not have the same thermal effect as those glass tops. and they are very light.

PHil

Yes, please send the photos and flaw info. Fit atop the passenger side B-pillar doesn't look perfect, but might be correct able.

Great looking car BTW.

Thanks.
+Quote Post
stevemkantor@aol.com
post Aug 24 2020, 10:14 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 24,212

Anyone have a 914 Saratoga top for sale? Text me at 310-890-1535.

Steve
+Quote Post
RobM
post Oct 13 2020, 07:44 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 22,010

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Nov 9 2017, 02:24 AM) *

I've got a Saratoga top from my '71 I've had since the mid to late 70's I want to sell. I have someone interested and have NO idea what it's worth. Still have original shipping box and it is in good shape considering age.

None on ebay etc... someone has one for a 944 though.

Any ideas??

You still have them? I was looking for one. Plinkington classics was making them recently for US$500. Now they're distributor says there's no stock at the moment
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 13 2020, 07:53 PM
Post #35

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(RobM @ Oct 13 2020, 06:44 PM) *

I've got a Saratoga top from my '71 I've had since the mid to late 70's I want to sell. I have someone interested and have NO idea what it's worth. Still have original shipping box and it is in good shape considering age.

Any ideas??

You still have them? I was looking for one. Plinkington classics was making them recently for US$500. Now they're distributor says there's no stock at the moment

Three year old response, pretty desparate.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
I would just PM the guy and see if he still has it. I bought a 914 rubber WAS top second from somebody who bought one from one of the group buys from 914rubber. I had to elongate the holes to use the stock mounting brackets, but otherwise I am quite happy with it!!
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Oct 13 2020, 07:54 PM
Post #36

1974 914 1.8

Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

Horray for UPS (United Package Smashers).

We stopped using them at my last job because they tore up a 10K server in shipping and wouldn't pay for it. They said it was incorrectly packaged. It was in the factory box from Dell.
[/quote]

I have seen UPS, fed X and USPS ALL destroy different items. USPS would not even pay for the broken items I sent and they were insured. Foot prints on box ect they don't care. If I remember right the saratoga top is a glass top ??? I would not even think of sending that, nothing glass.
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Oct 13 2020, 07:56 PM
Post #37

1974 914 1.8

Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 20 2018, 04:46 PM) *

There is a definite thermal gain. These are great for the pacific northwest when it's raining.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) for a cold weather place
+Quote Post
petza914
post Oct 13 2020, 08:34 PM
Post #38

I bought one from the messages in this thread. Seller made a wooden crate to ship it in and it was so nice, I added a couple hinges to it and use it as a hinged storage box for my original smooth and paint matched top while I have the Saratoga Top installed. It's really a cool novelty item for the 914 and I'm glad I was able to find a good one at a great price.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 14 2020, 07:24 AM
Post #39

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(petza914 @ Oct 13 2020, 10:34 PM) *

I bought one from the messages in this thread. Seller made a wooden crate to ship it in and it was so nice, I added a couple hinges to it and use it as a hinged storage box for my original smooth and paint matched top while I have the Saratoga Top installed. It's really a cool novelty item for the 914 and I'm glad I was able to find a good one at a great price.

that looks SWEEET with your black car!.

I sold my WAS top last year at Okteenerfest to another member. i just didnt use it much or have room for it in new place, hope the new owner likes it and is using it!

Phil
+Quote Post
RobM
post Oct 8 2021, 12:26 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 22,010

Any ideas??

long shot but i don;t suppose you still have it?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 12:16 AM