Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Show Me Your In Cabin Fire Extinguishers Please!, Stuck! Looking For Some Creative Ideas
Lucky9146
post Nov 20 2017, 11:27 PM
Post #1

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

Ok, I got this cool center pull hand break (not my idea) but I sure like it there.
Now with that said, I have some real estate limitations shall we say.
I'd sure appreciate seeing what you guys have done, type, and the size you have selected etc.
Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Nov 20 2017, 11:33 PM
Post #2

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572
Region Association: None

How bout the old put it in the front trunk
Mount

Doubt the fire will go there .
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Nov 21 2017, 12:18 AM
Post #3

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

Hi Brian, this is a repost of a product I found recently that you may want to consider:
I purchased the 6 foot BlazeCut Fire Suppression System. This length only requires one length down one side of the lid, one curve, and one length back the other side of the lid. I also found that the stiff tubing does not like to bend into a tight enough arc to fit into the confines of the engine lid. The tube kinked at the center of the curve, but I don't think it damaged it. I bought an electrical gray pipe curve, 3/4" ID, split it with my band saw, and zip tied and taped it around the BlazeCut tubing at the center of the arc where the tubing wanted to kink. This supported and held the tubing, keeping the tubing in the required arc while preventing it from kinking. I also found that plastic zip ties were not strong enough to hold the tubing in position under the engine lid. The stiff BlazeCut tubing does not like to bend or go where you want it to very easily. As you can see, I removed my rain tray a while ago since I never take the car out in bad weather and the engine runs cooler without it.
I fastened the tubing to the underside of the engine lid using metal pipe claps, 3/4 ID, and short self tapping metal screws into the lid supports. I wrapped the BlazeCut in heavy plumbers tape wherever it came in contact with the metal lid. I also cut thin strips of black tape and put them on the top side of the BlazeCut tube so you could not easily see the white tubing through the engine grill from the outside.
If you look on the left side of my engine lid, you can also see a steel braided cable I added a while back so I don't have to hold on to the engine lid when I open it. Without the cable, if you popped the engine lid and didn't hold it, it would fly open and put a lot of bending force on the hinges, which I have already rewelded once. Now the cable catches it before it works on the hinges.
BTW, if you have a weak opening engine cover, here's a link to an easy and simple fix that lets you put more pop in the opening, especially with the extra weight of the BlazeCut under the lid. My lids pops open fully now, even with the tubing under it.
I hope I never have to find out how well the BlazeCut tubing works!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Here's a follow up post you might want to read!
I've owned my '76 teener for about twenty years. I recently installed BlazeCut in the engine compartment to hopefully stop any potential engine fire. I took the car out for a short test ride soon after completing the BlazeCut install. As I was headed back toward home, suddenly thick black smoke started pouring out from under the dash in front of my left leg! I quickly pulled over and shut the car down before a fire started. After the smoke stopped and my heart slowed down, I lowered the relay panel and here's what I saw! After forty years, one of the of the relay bases somehow short circuited internally and melted the surrounding rubber.
I finally got the car home and repaired the melted relay base and all is good now. But I remember what I was thinking when I first saw all that black smoke coming from under the dash. "Great, I have a fire suppression system mounted right behind my back, and the car is going to burn up in front of me in the passenger compartment and there's nothing I can do about it!". I now carry a small fire extinguisher in my custom home made center console box, just in case the fire isn't in the engine compartment!

Attached Image

+Quote Post
RickS
post Nov 21 2017, 12:29 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,880

That model of Kidde is recalled due to the plastic top either clogging or exploding. Go to the Kidde site for free replacement info
+Quote Post
RickS
post Nov 21 2017, 12:32 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,880

tunnel mount

Attached Image
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Nov 21 2017, 01:19 AM
Post #6

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(RickS @ Nov 20 2017, 10:29 PM) *

That model of Kidde is recalled due to the plastic top either clogging or exploding. Go to the Kidde site for free replacement info

Thanks Rick, I went to the Kidde site and you were correct, this extinguisher was recalled! I filled out their online form and KIdde should be sending me a free replacement unit. It's nice to have fellow 914World members looking our for me!
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Nov 21 2017, 03:22 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

I have mine mounted intfront of the passenger seat attached to the seat rails. I'll get a picture up when I get home from work.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Nov 21 2017, 07:26 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Nov 21 2017, 04:22 AM) *

I have mine mounted intfront of the passenger seat attached to the seat rails. I'll get a picture up when I get home from work.

I agree.
No picture from me either but a very good location.
Solid metal to metal attachment, easy to reach, partially visible from outside,
easily removed with virtually no visible damage to the car.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
t collins
post Nov 21 2017, 08:38 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,754

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I like the fact that it's always easy to get to ... my homemade mounting bracket

Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Nov 21 2017, 08:43 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I had mine mounted with a single bolt in the same hole as one of the console brackets.

I have since moved it to the front of the passenger seat bulkhead.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 21 2017, 09:26 AM
Post #11

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Nov 21 2017, 09:27 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Just my opinion from 30 plus years as a career Firefighter.
# Those small plastic tip Fire Extinguishers are junk
# They don’t put out much of a Fire
# The dry chemical Fire Ext can damage your Elec systems
# The bigger the better

I mounted my Ext in the front truck because you want to separate yourself as quickly as possible from a rear engine fire and you can mount a larger Ext.
The extinguishers I have are a Purple K “great for fuel and metal fires” and a Halotron which is a replacement for Halon “great for Elec fires”. You can find these on Amazon.
Trust me you want a larger Fire Extinguisher, those little ones shoot there load in seconds (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) and then your screwed when the fire flashes back. You put big money in your car so spend a little more for Fire Protection. And yes I know if I am in a front end crash I am screwed.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
aharder
post Nov 21 2017, 10:05 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,524
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 21 2017, 09:27 AM) *

# The bigger the better

I mounted my Ext in the front truck because you want to separate yourself as quickly as possible from a rear engine fire and you can mount a larger Ext.
The extinguishers I have are a Purple K “great for fuel and metal fires” and a Halotron which is a replacement for Halon “great for Elec fires”. You can find these on Amazon.
Trust me you want a larger Fire Extinguisher, those little ones shoot there load in seconds (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) and then your screwed when the fire flashes back. You put big money in your car so spend a little more for Fire Protection. And yes I know if I am in a front end crash I am screwed.
Attached Image

Coondog,
Is that a 10 Lb and a 5 Lb? I like the set up, from this I think I will be changing my set up and follow your lead. I had a fire years ago and I don't want another one.
+Quote Post
pvollma
post Nov 21 2017, 10:29 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 15,862
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Found a universal seat mount which worked fine for the passenger seat of my 914:

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Nov 21 2017, 10:41 AM
Post #15

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Made bracket for seat, also on board system..

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Nov 21 2017, 12:44 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

When most people describe a Fire Ext they refer to them as 5 pound, 10 pound etc.
ect. What is more important is the A, B, C rating of the Ext.
A- ordinary combustibles
B- flammable
C- Elec
D- metals
When you buy a Fire Ext look at its ABC rating IE: 2A 10BC means it will put out 2 square of a class A fire and 10 square feet of a class BC Fire. Yes the bigger/ heavier is better but it’s the square feet rating that is equally important.

I picked the Purple K because it really kicks ass on fuel and metal fires without leaving that corrosive residue that other dry chemical fire extinguishers leave behind. Of course it’s more expensive but really what’s your car worth.

Description
Purple-K dry chemical is one of the most effective dry chemical agents against Class B fires. It is potassium bicarbonate based containing chemical additives, and is produced by an exclusive chemical process. The resultant agent is free-flowing, water repellant, non-abrasive and, when used as a fire suppressing agent, will produce no toxic effects. Purple-K dry chemical is purple in color to differentiate it from the other dry chemical agents.

Application
Purple-K dry chemical agent may be used to combat fires in flammable liquids, gases, and greases (Class B) including such fires when involved with energized electrical equipment (Class C). Because of its excellent fire fighting effectiveness, Purple-K agent is widely used in the petroleum industry and in other areas where the fire risk is high.

Performance
Purple-K agent is extremely effective against Class B fires, and has been shown to be at least 4 to 5 times as effective in extinguisher applications as carbon dioxide, and more than twice as effective as sodium bicarbonate based extinguishers.

The Halotron Ext. I have is specifically for electrical-smoke-heat fires inside my interior as it leaves zero residue.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 21 2017, 12:55 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 22 2017, 04:27 AM) *

# The bigger the better

Attached Image

Thanks for the professional advise, I have a "motorsport" rated unit I purchased but can't decide where to mount it ,currently have it in the front of the car but not fixed on as yet..was thinking the front bulkhead perhaps but will need to mount it horizontally is that ok ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) .
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Nov 21 2017, 01:23 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Yes, vertical or horizontal doesn’t matter.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 21 2017, 01:57 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 22 2017, 08:23 AM) *

Yes, vertical or horizontal doesn’t matter.

Thanks ,mine is ABE powder,Halon was banned in my country years ago never seen Halotron here either.
This ext is rated 2A : 30B : E,cheers on the info.
+Quote Post
aharder
post Nov 21 2017, 02:20 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,524
Region Association: Southwest Region

I guess I should have asked what capacity of each one is. Trying to figure out which one is the right size.
This is a chart for the Purple K

Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 08:13 AM