Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show Me Your In Cabin Fire Extinguishers Please!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lucky9146
Ok, I got this cool center pull hand break (not my idea) but I sure like it there.
Now with that said, I have some real estate limitations shall we say.
I'd sure appreciate seeing what you guys have done, type, and the size you have selected etc.
Thanks bye1.gif
white914.jpg
Click to view attachment
thelogo
How bout the old put it in the front trunk
Mount

Doubt the fire will go there .
oakdalecurtis
Hi Brian, this is a repost of a product I found recently that you may want to consider:
I purchased the 6 foot BlazeCut Fire Suppression System. This length only requires one length down one side of the lid, one curve, and one length back the other side of the lid. I also found that the stiff tubing does not like to bend into a tight enough arc to fit into the confines of the engine lid. The tube kinked at the center of the curve, but I don't think it damaged it. I bought an electrical gray pipe curve, 3/4" ID, split it with my band saw, and zip tied and taped it around the BlazeCut tubing at the center of the arc where the tubing wanted to kink. This supported and held the tubing, keeping the tubing in the required arc while preventing it from kinking. I also found that plastic zip ties were not strong enough to hold the tubing in position under the engine lid. The stiff BlazeCut tubing does not like to bend or go where you want it to very easily. As you can see, I removed my rain tray a while ago since I never take the car out in bad weather and the engine runs cooler without it.
I fastened the tubing to the underside of the engine lid using metal pipe claps, 3/4 ID, and short self tapping metal screws into the lid supports. I wrapped the BlazeCut in heavy plumbers tape wherever it came in contact with the metal lid. I also cut thin strips of black tape and put them on the top side of the BlazeCut tube so you could not easily see the white tubing through the engine grill from the outside.
If you look on the left side of my engine lid, you can also see a steel braided cable I added a while back so I don't have to hold on to the engine lid when I open it. Without the cable, if you popped the engine lid and didn't hold it, it would fly open and put a lot of bending force on the hinges, which I have already rewelded once. Now the cable catches it before it works on the hinges.
BTW, if you have a weak opening engine cover, here's a link to an easy and simple fix that lets you put more pop in the opening, especially with the extra weight of the BlazeCut under the lid. My lids pops open fully now, even with the tubing under it.
I hope I never have to find out how well the BlazeCut tubing works!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here's a follow up post you might want to read!
I've owned my '76 teener for about twenty years. I recently installed BlazeCut in the engine compartment to hopefully stop any potential engine fire. I took the car out for a short test ride soon after completing the BlazeCut install. As I was headed back toward home, suddenly thick black smoke started pouring out from under the dash in front of my left leg! I quickly pulled over and shut the car down before a fire started. After the smoke stopped and my heart slowed down, I lowered the relay panel and here's what I saw! After forty years, one of the of the relay bases somehow short circuited internally and melted the surrounding rubber.
I finally got the car home and repaired the melted relay base and all is good now. But I remember what I was thinking when I first saw all that black smoke coming from under the dash. "Great, I have a fire suppression system mounted right behind my back, and the car is going to burn up in front of me in the passenger compartment and there's nothing I can do about it!". I now carry a small fire extinguisher in my custom home made center console box, just in case the fire isn't in the engine compartment!

Click to view attachment

RickS
That model of Kidde is recalled due to the plastic top either clogging or exploding. Go to the Kidde site for free replacement info
RickS
tunnel mount

Click to view attachment
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(RickS @ Nov 20 2017, 10:29 PM) *

That model of Kidde is recalled due to the plastic top either clogging or exploding. Go to the Kidde site for free replacement info

Thanks Rick, I went to the Kidde site and you were correct, this extinguisher was recalled! I filled out their online form and KIdde should be sending me a free replacement unit. It's nice to have fellow 914World members looking our for me!
falcor75
I have mine mounted intfront of the passenger seat attached to the seat rails. I'll get a picture up when I get home from work.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Nov 21 2017, 04:22 AM) *

I have mine mounted intfront of the passenger seat attached to the seat rails. I'll get a picture up when I get home from work.

I agree.
No picture from me either but a very good location.
Solid metal to metal attachment, easy to reach, partially visible from outside,
easily removed with virtually no visible damage to the car.
t collins
agree.gif I like the fact that it's always easy to get to ... my homemade mounting bracket

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Kansas 914
I had mine mounted with a single bolt in the same hole as one of the console brackets.

I have since moved it to the front of the passenger seat bulkhead.

Click to view attachment
76-914
Click to view attachment
Coondog
Just my opinion from 30 plus years as a career Firefighter.
# Those small plastic tip Fire Extinguishers are junk
# They don’t put out much of a Fire
# The dry chemical Fire Ext can damage your Elec systems
# The bigger the better

I mounted my Ext in the front truck because you want to separate yourself as quickly as possible from a rear engine fire and you can mount a larger Ext.
The extinguishers I have are a Purple K “great for fuel and metal fires” and a Halotron which is a replacement for Halon “great for Elec fires”. You can find these on Amazon.
Trust me you want a larger Fire Extinguisher, those little ones shoot there load in seconds blink.gif and then your screwed when the fire flashes back. You put big money in your car so spend a little more for Fire Protection. And yes I know if I am in a front end crash I am screwed.
Click to view attachment
aharder
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 21 2017, 09:27 AM) *

# The bigger the better

I mounted my Ext in the front truck because you want to separate yourself as quickly as possible from a rear engine fire and you can mount a larger Ext.
The extinguishers I have are a Purple K “great for fuel and metal fires” and a Halotron which is a replacement for Halon “great for Elec fires”. You can find these on Amazon.
Trust me you want a larger Fire Extinguisher, those little ones shoot there load in seconds blink.gif and then your screwed when the fire flashes back. You put big money in your car so spend a little more for Fire Protection. And yes I know if I am in a front end crash I am screwed.
Click to view attachment

Coondog,
Is that a 10 Lb and a 5 Lb? I like the set up, from this I think I will be changing my set up and follow your lead. I had a fire years ago and I don't want another one.
pvollma
Found a universal seat mount which worked fine for the passenger seat of my 914:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
iamchappy
Made bracket for seat, also on board system..
Coondog
When most people describe a Fire Ext they refer to them as 5 pound, 10 pound etc.
ect. What is more important is the A, B, C rating of the Ext.
A- ordinary combustibles
B- flammable
C- Elec
D- metals
When you buy a Fire Ext look at its ABC rating IE: 2A 10BC means it will put out 2 square of a class A fire and 10 square feet of a class BC Fire. Yes the bigger/ heavier is better but it’s the square feet rating that is equally important.

I picked the Purple K because it really kicks ass on fuel and metal fires without leaving that corrosive residue that other dry chemical fire extinguishers leave behind. Of course it’s more expensive but really what’s your car worth.

Description
Purple-K dry chemical is one of the most effective dry chemical agents against Class B fires. It is potassium bicarbonate based containing chemical additives, and is produced by an exclusive chemical process. The resultant agent is free-flowing, water repellant, non-abrasive and, when used as a fire suppressing agent, will produce no toxic effects. Purple-K dry chemical is purple in color to differentiate it from the other dry chemical agents.

Application
Purple-K dry chemical agent may be used to combat fires in flammable liquids, gases, and greases (Class B) including such fires when involved with energized electrical equipment (Class C). Because of its excellent fire fighting effectiveness, Purple-K agent is widely used in the petroleum industry and in other areas where the fire risk is high.

Performance
Purple-K agent is extremely effective against Class B fires, and has been shown to be at least 4 to 5 times as effective in extinguisher applications as carbon dioxide, and more than twice as effective as sodium bicarbonate based extinguishers.

The Halotron Ext. I have is specifically for electrical-smoke-heat fires inside my interior as it leaves zero residue.
porschetub
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 22 2017, 04:27 AM) *

# The bigger the better

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the professional advise, I have a "motorsport" rated unit I purchased but can't decide where to mount it ,currently have it in the front of the car but not fixed on as yet..was thinking the front bulkhead perhaps but will need to mount it horizontally is that ok ? beer.gif .
Coondog
Yes, vertical or horizontal doesn’t matter.
porschetub
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 22 2017, 08:23 AM) *

Yes, vertical or horizontal doesn’t matter.

Thanks ,mine is ABE powder,Halon was banned in my country years ago never seen Halotron here either.
This ext is rated 2A : 30B : E,cheers on the info.
aharder
I guess I should have asked what capacity of each one is. Trying to figure out which one is the right size.
This is a chart for the Purple K

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 21 2017, 07:27 AM) *

# The bigger the better

Click to view attachment

Man, it sure pays to ask a question. I was just looking for input on what others did to mount a fire extinguisher inside the car. I received way more than I hoped for. pray.gif
Lots of real good info has been posted here and I can see others are rethinking some of their particular situations. I too had a fire but in a VW years ago and it is an awful experience. I appreciate the input from Coondog with his years of fire fighter experience. I will follow his lead on the 2 extinguisher approach and larger ones as well, as it just makes sense to me.

I want to thank everyone who posted so far and hope others can also benefit from this thread.

Edit to add that I was impressed with the on board systems food for thought. Thanks

If you haven't already I hope you will visit my thread. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=261197

I currently have this ABC extinguisher but I think I'm going to be shopping smile.gif
white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Coondog
My Purple K is a 5 pound 20 BC
My Halotron is a 2 BC

FYI you can still buy Halon extinguishers in the USA it just cannot be manufactured anymore. So if you have a large Halon extinguisher it’s worth $$$$ as it is still allowed to be resold for use in other Halon systems.
somd914
Thanks for the clarification on Purple K's non-corrosive residue. I started looking into them a while ago but found conflicting info on whether or not they were corrosive. Guess I'll be switching over to Purple K.
Biggles
Personally, i didnt want anything directly under my feet (bit messy in the cabin) but i did want it close to hand, so welded up, and powder coated, a bracket which mounts directly behind the driver's seat. Note spacers turned up on behind bracket. Neat and simple installation (thanks Darren for the idea if you're reading !).Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
1970 Neun vierzehn
Halon extinguisher mounted to heavy-duty magnets attached to the (fixed) bottom of the passenger seat on a 1970/4
pete000
Made mine. Pretty easy to do...No drilling
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 21 2017, 04:42 PM) *

My Halotron is a 2 BC

FYI you can still buy Halon extinguishers in the USA it just cannot be manufactured anymore. So if you have a large Halon extinguisher it’s worth $$$$ as it is still allowed to be resold for use in other Halon systems.

Thank you for sharing your front trunk set-up (which makes perfect sense) and information about purple k, which I had not heard of previously. If you had to choose just one extinguisher to keep in the car, would you go with the purple k?

Happy Thanksgiving All!
Coondog
QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Nov 23 2017, 08:13 AM) *

My Halotron is a 2 BC

Thank you for sharing your front trunk set-up (which makes perfect sense) and information about purple k, which I had not heard of previously. If you had to choose just one extinguisher to keep in the car, would you go with the purple k?

Happy Thanksgiving All!

Yes Sir. Purple K puts out serious Fire
porschetub
QUOTE(Biggles @ Nov 23 2017, 11:43 AM) *

Personally, i didnt want anything directly under my feet (bit messy in the cabin) but i did want it close to hand, so welded up, and powder coated, a bracket which mounts directly behind the driver's seat. Note spacers turned up on behind bracket. Neat and simple installation (thanks Darren for the idea if you're reading !).Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Nice tidy solution,I prefer that option and will most likely do the same but on the passenger side, I have a second one I will mount on the front fuel tank bulkhead,as a" just incase".
I like to check my fuel hose and clamps on a regular basis ,better to lesson the need for fire fighting devices afterall but nice to have them onboard.
23e Heure
This is a great thread: thanks to the OP for getting it rolling. cool.gif

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Nov 21 2017, 09:22 AM) *

I have mine mounted intfront of the passenger seat attached to the seat rails.

I too would like to fit my extinguisher to the front of the passenger seat.

My question is whether anyone has done that in a (later) car, i.e. one that does not have fixed passenger seat.

A few months ago I bought one of these universal extinguisher mounts: The Bracketeer

I didn't get a lot of time yet to look closely at trying to fit it to my car.
But when I did quickly offer it up, it looked like this mount type may not work in a 914:

A) Will the seat adjuster handle that protrudes from the end of one of the seat rails get in the way??

B) Do the 914 seat rails protrude far enough forward to give the bracket and extinguisher sufficient clearance under and ahead of the seat itself?

IPB Image

Has anyone had success with this specific mount, or a similar off the shelf item?

pvollma
QUOTE(23e Heure @ Nov 24 2017, 05:32 AM) *

Has anyone had success with this specific mount, or a similar off the shelf item?

I used this mount, but did not attach it to the seat rails, just the seat itself:
Click to view attachment
Frank S
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 23 2017, 01:31 AM) *

Halon extinguisher mounted to heavy-duty magnets attached to the (fixed) bottom of the passenger seat on a 1970/4

Is this the H3R C352TS Model you are using?

Thanks,
Frank
Marv's3.6six
Not sure if I posted this before. I wanted the extinguisher to be in plain site but completely out of the way. This one is mounted up under dash with a CNC bracket with a quick release pull pin. In this photo the extinguisher looks to be in the way but is actually pretty high up and very much out of the way. When driving you can barley see, but is very easy to access. biggrin.gif
913B
QUOTE(pvollma @ Nov 21 2017, 11:29 AM) *

Found a universal seat mount which worked fine for the passenger seat of my 914:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Would you mind sharing where to get this universal mount

Thanks
913B
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 22 2017, 07:31 PM) *

Magnets ? Has it detached from the magnets during driving ? Harbor freight magnets maybe or more stronger type ?

Thanks
pvollma
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Nov 24 2017, 03:36 PM) *

Would you mind sharing where to get this universal mount

Thanks

Fire extinguisher seat mount
GeorgeRud
I also mounted my Halon extinguisher in front of the passenger seat in both my 70 band my 73. It doesn’t interfere with the legroom and is easily reached from the driver’s seat. If I was buying another extinguisher, I’d consider a foam type as it would smother the fire and cool the area to help prevent reignition.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Nov 24 2017, 11:38 AM) *

Magnets ? Has it detached from the magnets during driving ? Harbor freight magnets maybe or more stronger type ?

Thanks

Extremely hard "panic" stops and rather extreme cornering maneuvers (all on large, empty lots) do not dislodge this extinguisher mount. The magnets were obtained from a new car dealer that I had a long association with. The magnets are typically used at dealerships to mount license plates to cars for test drives or transport moves to other locations (think dealer trades).

Paul
domer914
The location of mine is already represented here, so I will add some useful and embarrassing advice...

If you choose to locate it in the rear trunk, you can potentially save a fortune by remembering that "cars only blow up on TV." That's what the fireman told me.

in 2009 my 914 was on fire. Turns out it was a battery fire. If I had popped open the engine lid I could have righted the battery and saved myself a ton of aggravation and money. But the car was on fire and my young son was with me, so we called the FD and stood clear, watching her burn. I had a fire extinguisher in the rear trunk but I was afraid to get that close because I feared some kind of explosion (duh).

Anyway, it burned for about 15 minutes, of course increasing with intensity as time went by, because alas, it became much more than a battery fire. Geez.

When the FD showed up one of the firemen asked me if it was my car. He asked if I could help him open the engine lid. I said sure, but I asked if it was safe to get that close to the car. "Oh sure", he said. "Cars only blow up on TV." Imagine my thoughts knowing the fire extinguisher was in the trunk.

(really not trying to hijack the thread) So back to my advice. If you install it in the rear trunk, just remember that cars only blow up on TV and you should be okie dokey. rolleyes.gif
Lucky9146
QUOTE(domer914 @ Nov 24 2017, 07:28 PM) *

The location of mine is already represented here, so I will add some useful and embarrassing advice...

If you choose to locate it in the rear trunk, you can potentially save a fortune by remembering that "cars only blow up on TV." That's what the fireman told me.

in 2009 my 914 was on fire. Turns out it was a battery fire. If I had popped open the engine lid I could have righted the battery and saved myself a ton of aggravation and money. But the car was on fire and my young son was with me, so we called the FD and stood clear, watching her burn. I had a fire extinguisher in the rear trunk but I was afraid to get that close because I feared some kind of explosion (duh).

Anyway, it burned for about 15 minutes, of course increasing with intensity as time went by, because alas, it became much more than a battery fire. Geez.

When the FD showed up one of the firemen asked me if it was my car. He asked if I could help him open the engine lid. I said sure, but I asked if it was safe to get that close to the car. "Oh sure", he said. "Cars only blow up on TV." Imagine my thoughts knowing the fire extinguisher was in the trunk.

(really not trying to hijack the thread) So back to my advice. If you install it in the rear trunk, just remember that cars only blow up on TV and you should be okie dokey. rolleyes.gif

Sad sad story and so sorry to hear, you did the right thing with your young son there. No hijack at all and very useful.

I believe most car fires happen in the engine compartment (had my VW engine burn several years ago) so exiting the cabin is the first priority and second working on putting out the fire if possible. I will be following Coondog's lead and locating my purple K in the front trunk. His sage advice that bigger is better makes sense as the small ones just don't have enough stopping power.
white914.jpg
RickS
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 24 2017, 07:19 PM) *

QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Nov 24 2017, 11:38 AM) *

Thanks

Extremely hard "panic" stops and rather extreme cornering maneuvers (all on large, empty lots) do not dislodge this extinguisher mount. The magnets were obtained from a new car dealer that I had a long association with. The magnets are typically used at dealerships to mount license plates to cars for test drives or transport moves to other locations (think dealer trades).

Paul

Having run several PCA track events and knowing how you mount is secured you would never pass tech inspection. The reason being if you were a involved in a severe front or side impact the mount will dislodge because of its mass and the G force. This has the potential to hit you inflicting severe injury or death. Likewise in a roll over accident involving high Gs the mount could be dislodged and hit your bean killing you. The magnets are a clever idea but a very dangerous one too.
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 23 2017, 12:52 PM) *

My Halotron is a 2 BC

Happy Thanksgiving All!

I took @coondog’s advice (finally) and got a 5 lb purple k. It showed up today, but the tamper ring was broken. It was packaged poorly...no packing material, just a box. Should this be sent back? The pressure gauge shows full. One of the first things it says in the inspection section of the instructions is that the tamper seal should be unbroken.
Big Len
I took coondog's advise too and bought a Purple K.
brant
just an observation.. regarding Halon

I now have my interior halon system nozzle closed on the race car

a good friend was on grid in a 914/6 gt car no less
had a small carb fire on grid
someone pulled the cable dumping his halon system

he passed out in the car, with the belts still on... from the halon displacing all of the oxygen

his friends fought to pull him out of the car on the grid, because the fire didn't fully extinguish

they had to fight with his belts and he ended up with a badly burned hand by the time they got him out. Car melted to the ground

Halon only works in a non vented area...
my emergency plan on the race car is to stop the car on fire... pull the cable on my way out.. while holding my breath

do not trigger a halon system while breathing the same oxygen
Coondog
QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Apr 5 2018, 05:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 23 2017, 12:52 PM) *

My Halotron is a 2 BC

Happy Thanksgiving All!

I took @coondog’s advice (finally) and got a 5 lb purple k. It showed up today, but the tamper ring was broken. It was packaged poorly...no packing material, just a box. Should this be sent back? The pressure gauge shows full. One of the first things it says in the inspection section of the instructions is that the tamper seal should be unbroken.

Your OK, but your choice.
Coondog
QUOTE(Big Len @ Apr 6 2018, 08:39 AM) *

I took coondog's advise too and bought a Purple K.

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(Coondog @ Apr 6 2018, 10:54 PM) *

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Apr 5 2018, 05:15 PM) *

Your OK, but your choice.

I figured as much...going to mount it this weekend hopefully. Thank you for the confirmation.
Big Len
Instead of mounting, it fits perfectly behind the seat. Any problems to this?
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.