Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Show Me Your In Cabin Fire Extinguishers Please!, Stuck! Looking For Some Creative Ideas
Lucky9146
post Nov 21 2017, 03:18 PM
Post #21

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 21 2017, 07:27 AM) *

Just my opinion from 30 plus years as a career Firefighter.
# Those small plastic tip Fire Extinguishers are junk
# They don’t put out much of a Fire
# The dry chemical Fire Ext can damage your Elec systems
# The bigger the better

I mounted my Ext in the front truck because you want to separate yourself as quickly as possible from a rear engine fire and you can mount a larger Ext.
The extinguishers I have are a Purple K “great for fuel and metal fires” and a Halotron which is a replacement for Halon “great for Elec fires”. You can find these on Amazon.
Trust me you want a larger Fire Extinguisher, those little ones shoot there load in seconds (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) and then your screwed when the fire flashes back. You put big money in your car so spend a little more for Fire Protection. And yes I know if I am in a front end crash I am screwed.

Man, it sure pays to ask a question. I was just looking for input on what others did to mount a fire extinguisher inside the car. I received way more than I hoped for. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
Lots of real good info has been posted here and I can see others are rethinking some of their particular situations. I too had a fire but in a VW years ago and it is an awful experience. I appreciate the input from Coondog with his years of fire fighter experience. I will follow his lead on the 2 extinguisher approach and larger ones as well, as it just makes sense to me.

I want to thank everyone who posted so far and hope others can also benefit from this thread.

Edit to add that I was impressed with the on board systems food for thought. Thanks

If you haven't already I hope you will visit my thread. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=261197

I currently have this ABC extinguisher but I think I'm going to be shopping (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Nov 21 2017, 03:42 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

My Purple K is a 5 pound 20 BC
My Halotron is a 2 BC

FYI you can still buy Halon extinguishers in the USA it just cannot be manufactured anymore. So if you have a large Halon extinguisher it’s worth $$$$ as it is still allowed to be resold for use in other Halon systems.
+Quote Post
somd914
post Nov 21 2017, 09:22 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks for the clarification on Purple K's non-corrosive residue. I started looking into them a while ago but found conflicting info on whether or not they were corrosive. Guess I'll be switching over to Purple K.
+Quote Post
Biggles
post Nov 22 2017, 04:43 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 16,353
Region Association: England

Personally, i didnt want anything directly under my feet (bit messy in the cabin) but i did want it close to hand, so welded up, and powder coated, a bracket which mounts directly behind the driver's seat. Note spacers turned up on behind bracket. Neat and simple installation (thanks Darren for the idea if you're reading !).Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Nov 22 2017, 06:31 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

Halon extinguisher mounted to heavy-duty magnets attached to the (fixed) bottom of the passenger seat on a 1970/4

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
pete000
post Nov 22 2017, 11:49 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

Made mine. Pretty easy to do...No drilling

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ThreeV8s
post Nov 23 2017, 10:13 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 20,915
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 21 2017, 04:42 PM) *

My Halotron is a 2 BC

FYI you can still buy Halon extinguishers in the USA it just cannot be manufactured anymore. So if you have a large Halon extinguisher it’s worth $$$$ as it is still allowed to be resold for use in other Halon systems.

Thank you for sharing your front trunk set-up (which makes perfect sense) and information about purple k, which I had not heard of previously. If you had to choose just one extinguisher to keep in the car, would you go with the purple k?

Happy Thanksgiving All!
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Nov 23 2017, 10:52 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Nov 23 2017, 08:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 21 2017, 04:42 PM) *

My Halotron is a 2 BC

Thank you for sharing your front trunk set-up (which makes perfect sense) and information about purple k, which I had not heard of previously. If you had to choose just one extinguisher to keep in the car, would you go with the purple k?

Happy Thanksgiving All!

Yes Sir. Purple K puts out serious Fire
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 23 2017, 05:51 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Biggles @ Nov 23 2017, 11:43 AM) *

Personally, i didnt want anything directly under my feet (bit messy in the cabin) but i did want it close to hand, so welded up, and powder coated, a bracket which mounts directly behind the driver's seat. Note spacers turned up on behind bracket. Neat and simple installation (thanks Darren for the idea if you're reading !).Attached Image Attached Image

Nice tidy solution,I prefer that option and will most likely do the same but on the passenger side, I have a second one I will mount on the front fuel tank bulkhead,as a" just incase".
I like to check my fuel hose and clamps on a regular basis ,better to lesson the need for fire fighting devices afterall but nice to have them onboard.
+Quote Post
23e Heure
post Nov 24 2017, 03:32 AM
Post #30

Busy overtaking 911s

Member No.: 19,057
Region Association: England

This is a great thread: thanks to the OP for getting it rolling. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Nov 21 2017, 09:22 AM) *

I have mine mounted intfront of the passenger seat attached to the seat rails.

I too would like to fit my extinguisher to the front of the passenger seat.

My question is whether anyone has done that in a (later) car, i.e. one that does not have fixed passenger seat.

A few months ago I bought one of these universal extinguisher mounts: The Bracketeer

I didn't get a lot of time yet to look closely at trying to fit it to my car.
But when I did quickly offer it up, it looked like this mount type may not work in a 914:

A) Will the seat adjuster handle that protrudes from the end of one of the seat rails get in the way??

B) Do the 914 seat rails protrude far enough forward to give the bracket and extinguisher sufficient clearance under and ahead of the seat itself?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-19057-1511515924.1.gif)

Has anyone had success with this specific mount, or a similar off the shelf item?

+Quote Post
pvollma
post Nov 24 2017, 08:15 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 15,862

QUOTE(23e Heure @ Nov 24 2017, 05:32 AM) *

Has anyone had success with this specific mount, or a similar off the shelf item?

I used this mount, but did not attach it to the seat rails, just the seat itself:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Frank S
post Nov 24 2017, 09:14 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 18,632
Region Association: Germany

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 23 2017, 01:31 AM) *

Halon extinguisher mounted to heavy-duty magnets attached to the (fixed) bottom of the passenger seat on a 1970/4

Is this the H3R C352TS Model you are using?

Thanks,
Frank
+Quote Post
Marv's3.6six
post Nov 24 2017, 11:41 AM
Post #33

Actual member 7"

Member No.: 3,165

Not sure if I posted this before. I wanted the extinguisher to be in plain site but completely out of the way. This one is mounted up under dash with a CNC bracket with a quick release pull pin. In this photo the extinguisher looks to be in the way but is actually pretty high up and very much out of the way. When driving you can barley see, but is very easy to access. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
913B
post Nov 24 2017, 01:36 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 3,983

QUOTE(pvollma @ Nov 21 2017, 11:29 AM) *

Found a universal seat mount which worked fine for the passenger seat of my 914:

Would you mind sharing where to get this universal mount

Thanks
+Quote Post
913B
post Nov 24 2017, 01:38 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 3,983

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 22 2017, 07:31 PM) *

Magnets ? Has it detached from the magnets during driving ? Harbor freight magnets maybe or more stronger type ?

Thanks
+Quote Post
pvollma
post Nov 24 2017, 03:22 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 15,862

QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Nov 24 2017, 03:36 PM) *

Would you mind sharing where to get this universal mount

Thanks

Fire extinguisher seat mount
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Nov 24 2017, 05:08 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I also mounted my Halon extinguisher in front of the passenger seat in both my 70 band my 73. It doesn’t interfere with the legroom and is easily reached from the driver’s seat. If I was buying another extinguisher, I’d consider a foam type as it would smother the fire and cool the area to help prevent reignition.
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Nov 24 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Nov 24 2017, 11:38 AM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 22 2017, 07:31 PM) *

Magnets ? Has it detached from the magnets during driving ? Harbor freight magnets maybe or more stronger type ?

Thanks

Extremely hard "panic" stops and rather extreme cornering maneuvers (all on large, empty lots) do not dislodge this extinguisher mount. The magnets were obtained from a new car dealer that I had a long association with. The magnets are typically used at dealerships to mount license plates to cars for test drives or transport moves to other locations (think dealer trades).

Paul
+Quote Post
domer914
post Nov 24 2017, 09:28 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 11,149

The location of mine is already represented here, so I will add some useful and embarrassing advice...

If you choose to locate it in the rear trunk, you can potentially save a fortune by remembering that "cars only blow up on TV." That's what the fireman told me.

in 2009 my 914 was on fire. Turns out it was a battery fire. If I had popped open the engine lid I could have righted the battery and saved myself a ton of aggravation and money. But the car was on fire and my young son was with me, so we called the FD and stood clear, watching her burn. I had a fire extinguisher in the rear trunk but I was afraid to get that close because I feared some kind of explosion (duh).

Anyway, it burned for about 15 minutes, of course increasing with intensity as time went by, because alas, it became much more than a battery fire. Geez.

When the FD showed up one of the firemen asked me if it was my car. He asked if I could help him open the engine lid. I said sure, but I asked if it was safe to get that close to the car. "Oh sure", he said. "Cars only blow up on TV." Imagine my thoughts knowing the fire extinguisher was in the trunk.

(really not trying to hijack the thread) So back to my advice. If you install it in the rear trunk, just remember that cars only blow up on TV and you should be okie dokey. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 29 2017, 11:56 AM
Post #40

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942

QUOTE(domer914 @ Nov 24 2017, 07:28 PM) *

The location of mine is already represented here, so I will add some useful and embarrassing advice...

If you choose to locate it in the rear trunk, you can potentially save a fortune by remembering that "cars only blow up on TV." That's what the fireman told me.

in 2009 my 914 was on fire. Turns out it was a battery fire. If I had popped open the engine lid I could have righted the battery and saved myself a ton of aggravation and money. But the car was on fire and my young son was with me, so we called the FD and stood clear, watching her burn. I had a fire extinguisher in the rear trunk but I was afraid to get that close because I feared some kind of explosion (duh).

Anyway, it burned for about 15 minutes, of course increasing with intensity as time went by, because alas, it became much more than a battery fire. Geez.

When the FD showed up one of the firemen asked me if it was my car. He asked if I could help him open the engine lid. I said sure, but I asked if it was safe to get that close to the car. "Oh sure", he said. "Cars only blow up on TV." Imagine my thoughts knowing the fire extinguisher was in the trunk.

(really not trying to hijack the thread) So back to my advice. If you install it in the rear trunk, just remember that cars only blow up on TV and you should be okie dokey. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Sad sad story and so sorry to hear, you did the right thing with your young son there. No hijack at all and very useful.

I believe most car fires happen in the engine compartment (had my VW engine burn several years ago) so exiting the cabin is the first priority and second working on putting out the fire if possible. I will be following Coondog's lead and locating my purple K in the front trunk. His sage advice that bigger is better makes sense as the small ones just don't have enough stopping power.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 10:11 PM