Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Show Me Your In Cabin Fire Extinguishers Please!, Stuck! Looking For Some Creative Ideas
RickS
post Nov 29 2017, 10:26 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,880
Region Association: None

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 24 2017, 07:19 PM) *

QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Nov 24 2017, 11:38 AM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 22 2017, 07:31 PM) *

Halon extinguisher mounted to heavy-duty magnets attached to the (fixed) bottom of the passenger seat on a 1970/4

Magnets ? Has it detached from the magnets during driving ? Harbor freight magnets maybe or more stronger type ?

Thanks

Extremely hard "panic" stops and rather extreme cornering maneuvers (all on large, empty lots) do not dislodge this extinguisher mount. The magnets were obtained from a new car dealer that I had a long association with. The magnets are typically used at dealerships to mount license plates to cars for test drives or transport moves to other locations (think dealer trades).

Paul

Having run several PCA track events and knowing how you mount is secured you would never pass tech inspection. The reason being if you were a involved in a severe front or side impact the mount will dislodge because of its mass and the G force. This has the potential to hit you inflicting severe injury or death. Likewise in a roll over accident involving high Gs the mount could be dislodged and hit your bean killing you. The magnets are a clever idea but a very dangerous one too.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ThreeV8s
post Apr 5 2018, 06:15 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 20,915
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 23 2017, 12:52 PM) *

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Nov 23 2017, 08:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 21 2017, 04:42 PM) *

My Purple K is a 5 pound 20 BC
My Halotron is a 2 BC

FYI you can still buy Halon extinguishers in the USA it just cannot be manufactured anymore. So if you have a large Halon extinguisher it’s worth $$$$ as it is still allowed to be resold for use in other Halon systems.

Thank you for sharing your front trunk set-up (which makes perfect sense) and information about purple k, which I had not heard of previously. If you had to choose just one extinguisher to keep in the car, would you go with the purple k?

Happy Thanksgiving All!

Yes Sir. Purple K puts out serious Fire

I took @coondog’s advice (finally) and got a 5 lb purple k. It showed up today, but the tamper ring was broken. It was packaged poorly...no packing material, just a box. Should this be sent back? The pressure gauge shows full. One of the first things it says in the inspection section of the instructions is that the tamper seal should be unbroken.
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Apr 6 2018, 09:39 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

I took coondog's advise too and bought a Purple K.
+Quote Post
brant
post Apr 6 2018, 02:44 PM
Post #44

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

just an observation.. regarding Halon

I now have my interior halon system nozzle closed on the race car

a good friend was on grid in a 914/6 gt car no less
had a small carb fire on grid
someone pulled the cable dumping his halon system

he passed out in the car, with the belts still on... from the halon displacing all of the oxygen

his friends fought to pull him out of the car on the grid, because the fire didn't fully extinguish

they had to fight with his belts and he ended up with a badly burned hand by the time they got him out. Car melted to the ground

Halon only works in a non vented area...
my emergency plan on the race car is to stop the car on fire... pull the cable on my way out.. while holding my breath

do not trigger a halon system while breathing the same oxygen
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Apr 6 2018, 08:54 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Apr 5 2018, 05:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 23 2017, 12:52 PM) *

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Nov 23 2017, 08:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 21 2017, 04:42 PM) *

My Purple K is a 5 pound 20 BC
My Halotron is a 2 BC

FYI you can still buy Halon extinguishers in the USA it just cannot be manufactured anymore. So if you have a large Halon extinguisher it’s worth $$$$ as it is still allowed to be resold for use in other Halon systems.

Thank you for sharing your front trunk set-up (which makes perfect sense) and information about purple k, which I had not heard of previously. If you had to choose just one extinguisher to keep in the car, would you go with the purple k?

Happy Thanksgiving All!

Yes Sir. Purple K puts out serious Fire

I took @coondog’s advice (finally) and got a 5 lb purple k. It showed up today, but the tamper ring was broken. It was packaged poorly...no packing material, just a box. Should this be sent back? The pressure gauge shows full. One of the first things it says in the inspection section of the instructions is that the tamper seal should be unbroken.

Your OK, but your choice.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Apr 6 2018, 08:54 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Big Len @ Apr 6 2018, 08:39 AM) *

I took coondog's advise too and bought a Purple K.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ThreeV8s
post Apr 7 2018, 02:09 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 20,915
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Coondog @ Apr 6 2018, 10:54 PM) *

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Apr 5 2018, 05:15 PM) *

Your OK, but your choice.

I figured as much...going to mount it this weekend hopefully. Thank you for the confirmation.
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Apr 24 2018, 04:56 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Instead of mounting, it fits perfectly behind the seat. Any problems to this?
Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 01:08 PM