Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Acceptable voltage discrepancy, Voltage at dash vs. voltage at battery
post Nov 24 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #1

Michael in Seattle

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,495
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I started my car after sitting a few days and noticed the dash voltage meter went up over 15V. In Tech Tips 700 I read that overvoltage could lead to battery acid spills, so I quickly shut it off.

Prior to that, I'd noticed the dash gauge reads lower than I'd like when all the lights are on.

I checked the voltage at the battery under different circumstances and they weren't so extreme in either direction. So now I'm wondering what the acceptable differences would be before you'd start to expect a poor (ground?) connection somewhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6BcQC-cjXo

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Spoke
post Nov 24 2017, 07:20 PM
Post #2

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

There is a lot of resistance in the 40+ year old wiring and connectors in the 914. Measuring the voltage in the cabin with lights on could easily yield 2-3V lower than at the battery.

The voltage at the battery is the only voltage worth measuring WRT the voltage regulator and alternator.
+Quote Post
post Nov 24 2017, 08:07 PM
Post #3

Michael in Seattle

Thanks Mike and Spoke.

I was also confused by the 15+V reading I saw on the dash gauge when I first started the car. I didn’t catch that on video unfortunately.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Nov 24 2017, 08:49 PM
Post #4

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

QUOTE(98101 @ Nov 24 2017, 07:07 PM) *

Thanks Mike and Spoke.

I was also confused by the 15+V reading I saw on the dash gauge when I first started the car. I didn’t catch that on video unfortunately.

I see -15 Amps and +11 Volts when you start it. The Amp gauge is bogus installed in the cabin unless there are two very large wires running all the way back to the alternator. If there is, make sure they are fused or you may burn the car down. Otherwise, throw the amp gauge away. There is no place to correctly connect this inside the cabin due to the way the factory wired everything. At most you will only be measuring one of 4 circuit paths. The low voltage on the gauge is mostly due to age of the wiring. Age of the ground plane (chassis) and the fact that the gauge is analog and your meter is digital. Both units process RMS voltage differently and will never read the same. There is also substantial voltage drop inherent in the factory wiring.
+Quote Post
post Nov 24 2017, 11:37 PM
Post #5

Michael in Seattle

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 24 2017, 06:49 PM) *

I see -15 Amps and +11 Volts when you start it. The Amp gauge is bogus installed in the cabin unless there are two very large wires running all the way back to the alternator. If there is, make sure they are fused or you may burn the car down. Otherwise, throw the amp gauge away. There is no place to correctly connect this inside the cabin due to the way the factory wired everything. At most you will only be measuring one of 4 circuit paths. The low voltage on the gauge is mostly due to age of the wiring. Age of the ground plane (chassis) and the fact that the gauge is analog and your meter is digital. Both units process RMS voltage differently and will never read the same. There is also substantial voltage drop inherent in the factory wiring.

To be more clear, the nearly 16V reading I saw was not part of the video I posted. It was about a half hour before I shot the video, when the car hadn't been started for a few days. I was not expecting this at all, so I didn't have a voltmeter connected to the battery to capture the reading there. I shut down immediately to protect the battery. But it seemed more normal by the time I got the phone cam out and the meter hooked up to the battery. Would an overvoltage reading in this circumstance indicate any important fault, or just the gauge being connected nearer to the alternator than to the battery?

I'm not referring to the ammeter, which I've been ignoring for now. I would have assumed it was using inductive pickups not carrying much current. But I haven't actually discovered how it's connected yet.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 04:51 PM