Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> how do you make wiring harness repairs?
bd1308
post May 26 2005, 02:49 PM
Post #1

Sir Post-a-lot

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,501

do you soldier joints together or crimp them together using butt connectors
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914GT
post May 26 2005, 02:51 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

I mostly use butt connectors and a pro quality crimper. Soldering and heat shrink tubing works good too, just takes longer to do.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 26 2005, 03:05 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

if you do make a solder joint, make sure it is not in a location that might see flexing or too much vibration....

using the proper wire is key as well, not they cheap stuff sold at the hardware store (it'll work, but for how long is the question)

when inspecting your harness, bend the wires, any wire that is stiff or the covering is brittle needs to be replaced...

I thought my engine harness was in good shape until I tried to crimp a new connector onto the black/red wire for the coil and the covering was brittle.....I ended up replacing that wire as well as all the engine related wiring with new wires last night......

+Quote Post
SGB
post May 26 2005, 03:24 PM
Post #4

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

I know Jeff's replacements aren't cheap, but the quality is above reproach. I got replacement alternator harness from him since mine was really brittle. I'm quite sure it is higher quality than OEM, but looks just like original (if that matters to you).
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post May 26 2005, 03:31 PM
Post #5

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

If you choose to solder, make sure you use some electronic grade flux. You will notice a huge difference when soldering a clean joint covered in flux than without. Flux core solder helps a little, but using a liquid or paste flux is the way to go. Just make sure you don't use an acid flux like they use for soldering pipes together.

Definitely cover the joint with shrink tubing. Electrical tape is no good. It comes unraveled, gets gummy, sticky and messy. You can even get shrink tubing that has sealant on the inside so that when you shrink it, it seals the joint watertight.

Mueller is right about not using solder joints at areas of significant flex or vibration. To remedy this, tie the wiring harness down in as many places as possible to keep it from moving. A wiring harness typically has no need for flex or movement.

-Tony
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 26 2005, 03:39 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ May 26 2005, 02:31 PM)
Mueller is right about not using solder joints at areas of significant flex or vibration. To remedy this, tie the wiring harness down in as many places as possible to keep it from moving. A wiring harness typically has no need for flex or movement.

-Tony

I learned the hard way...cost me 1 AAA tow job (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

My Mallory/MSD distributor D-Jet upgrade trigger system failed on me due to a bad solder joint.....the new circuit will be fully encapsulated in e-grade epoxy to help eliminate that from happening again..........
+Quote Post
Reiche
post May 26 2005, 03:39 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,934

Don't use connectors and a crimper that just pinch the connector to the wire. Use ones that bend around then into the wire.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 26 2005, 03:46 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

QUOTE (Reiche @ May 26 2005, 02:39 PM)
Don't use connectors and a crimper that just pinch the connector to the wire. Use ones that bend around then into the wire.

like this?? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
(my new harness that I am putting together)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1115184394.jpg)
+Quote Post
Reiche
post May 26 2005, 03:54 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,934

EXACTLY!

Where did you get them (tool and connectors?) Radio Shack used to have them but I haven't checked in a while.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post May 27 2005, 11:31 AM
Post #10

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

FI trigger point connections (all 3) and one of the mps connections are all done real cheaply and quickly. I think it worked fine for a long time, but now they are toast. It's missing and the mixture is all wrong. i used the red plastic crimp thingies. I'm just gonna rip them off after work and put on some replacement connector things...and when i get home i can look at it closer.
+Quote Post
dwillouby
post May 27 2005, 01:25 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 29

It really dosent matter if you crimped, soldered, or twisted the wires together. If the current flow path is good there will be no problem. Crimping with proper connectors is the best way. Solder is not intended as a mech. connection, only a conducting path. A soldered connection will break if the solder is allowed to wick up the wire under the insulation. This will take away a flex point and cause it to break.

David
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 05:12 PM