Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weak spark with Mallory CDI, not sure if it's the wires or plugs??
Mueller
post May 27 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

anyone else run into this?

got to find all my manuals to figure out if I should be running wires with X amount of resistance or special spark plugs.....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post May 27 2005, 12:17 AM
Post #2

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Tried it w/o the CDI? You using the Link to fire it? Can it fire the coil w/o it?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 27 2005, 12:24 AM
Post #3

914 Freak!

QUOTE (lapuwali @ May 26 2005, 11:17 PM)
Tried it w/o the CDI? You using the Link to fire it? Can it fire the coil w/o it?

spark appears to be the same with the Link as without it....of course this was just testing with plug out and sitting on top of a ground......very, very weak spark...removed plug, huge spark (which I expected due to less resistance)

I have not tested the spark from the coil without the CDI. that'll have to wait till Sat.

+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post May 27 2005, 12:55 AM
Post #4

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

CDI's on a bike can break down in the windings causing an internal short. It usually starts out be getting a weaker and weaker spark.

they're usually very durable.

i'd try to find someone and borrow their coils to find out quickly if yours are bad. or not.

i'm not usually a parts changer but it's sometimes difficult to test these coils due to the amount of voltage going thru them and getting a real ohm-age weather their good or not.

how do you know it's a weak spark under compression? do you have a scope?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 27 2005, 11:06 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Roger,

CDI and coil are brand new, never used units......I have not pulled the plugs yet, they might be fouled or something, I do know that I was getting plenty of fuel when cranking the engine but just no firing of the plugs...my timing could be way off still, I figured I should get at least a "pop" (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

time to hook up a remote start button, the wife is not happy being the ignition grunt (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

I do have another brand new coil that I can try out and I'll test the spark without the CDI control........
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 06:38 AM