Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weak spark with Mallory CDI
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
anyone else run into this?

got to find all my manuals to figure out if I should be running wires with X amount of resistance or special spark plugs.....
lapuwali
Tried it w/o the CDI? You using the Link to fire it? Can it fire the coil w/o it?
Mueller
QUOTE (lapuwali @ May 26 2005, 11:17 PM)
Tried it w/o the CDI? You using the Link to fire it? Can it fire the coil w/o it?

spark appears to be the same with the Link as without it....of course this was just testing with plug out and sitting on top of a ground......very, very weak spark...removed plug, huge spark (which I expected due to less resistance)

I have not tested the spark from the coil without the CDI. that'll have to wait till Sat.

Dr. Roger
CDI's on a bike can break down in the windings causing an internal short. It usually starts out be getting a weaker and weaker spark.

they're usually very durable.

i'd try to find someone and borrow their coils to find out quickly if yours are bad. or not.

i'm not usually a parts changer but it's sometimes difficult to test these coils due to the amount of voltage going thru them and getting a real ohm-age weather their good or not.

how do you know it's a weak spark under compression? do you have a scope?
Mueller
Roger,

CDI and coil are brand new, never used units......I have not pulled the plugs yet, they might be fouled or something, I do know that I was getting plenty of fuel when cranking the engine but just no firing of the plugs...my timing could be way off still, I figured I should get at least a "pop" smile.gif

time to hook up a remote start button, the wife is not happy being the ignition grunt smile.gif

I do have another brand new coil that I can try out and I'll test the spark without the CDI control........
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.