Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jack stand placement, another question about placement of jack stands
dh_berman
post Dec 3 2017, 07:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,305
Region Association: None

I've read lots of threads here about jack points but I haven't seen anyone comment on this specifically.

Is there any problem with putting jack stands under the rear trailing arms at their pivot points?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post Dec 3 2017, 08:53 PM
Post #2

Porsche Padawan

Member No.: 18,230
Region Association: Southern California

That is a good place for standard jack stands (the ones with the u-shaped tops that are meant for axles). Also put them under the jack donuts, just be careful. I got some jack stands with flat tops, they work better for that location.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Dec 4 2017, 08:41 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

PLEASE make sure your jack stands have LOCKING PINS. No locking pins might make a big difference in your health.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 4 2017, 02:27 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

I use the trail arm pivots with thin strips of plywood under the "u" shaped tops,saves marking the paint and my car is very solid on the stands this way.
I only use the jacking points to raise and lower the car,would rather not use these area's for jackstands.
Don't try the original jackpoints like I did,I now have to repair one after it broke (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) ,still haven't really worked out to repair it @ this stage.Attached Image
+Quote Post
Boomingbeetle
post Dec 4 2017, 02:41 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,556

Another tip from the shop would be to give the car a good shake once it's on the stands by pushing or pressing the bumper with strong force. If it wobbles or doesn't seem solid, find a better spot to support it before you crawl underneath. Don't want to risk getting squashed if there's a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Dec 4 2017, 03:30 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I like to also leave the extended jack in place (just in case), but always give the car a good shake before crawling underneath.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Dec 4 2017, 07:43 PM
Post #7

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 4 2017, 06:41 AM) *

PLEASE make sure your jack stands have LOCKING PINS. No locking pins might make a big difference in your health.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) One of the members of this BBS had to have his face rebuilt after his ratchet-type jack stands let go and dropped his 914 on his head. Good thing he was already married! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

(Just messin' with ya, Gint!!)

--DD
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Dec 5 2017, 11:54 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 4 2017, 12:27 PM) *

I use the trail arm pivots with thin strips of plywood under the "u" shaped tops,saves marking the paint and my car is very solid on the stands this way.
I only use the jacking points to raise and lower the car,would rather not use these area's for jackstands.
Don't try the original jackpoints like I did,I now have to repair one after it broke (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) ,still haven't really worked out to repair it @ this stage.Attached Image

Those jack points are useless. IMHO Cut them out, fill the hole in your rocker panels and carry a small floor jack to use when you need to change a tire.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Dec 5 2017, 02:04 PM
Post #9

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 5 2017, 09:54 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 4 2017, 12:27 PM) *

Those jack points are useless. IMHO Cut them out, fill the hole in your rocker panels and carry a small floor jack to use when you need to change a tire.

I use these with the jack pads that slide into them and lift my 76 up with no problem. I have not seen this before. These look rust free and just let go?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 07:09 PM