Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Inside door handle/pull, Anybody know of one made of billet aluminum?
Craigers17
post Dec 9 2017, 11:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

Anybody know of a source for an inside door handle/pull made of billet aluminum? Not really interested in knowing the 17 different reasons why I shouldn't install such an aftermarket part or how bad it's gonna look.....simply looking for a source.

I've attached a small pic of the basic part I'm looking for just in case I'm calling it the wrong thing.

Thanks,
-CraigAttached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Dec 9 2017, 12:04 PM
Post #2

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Dec 9 2017, 09:29 AM) *

Anybody know of a source for an inside door handle/pull made of billet aluminum? Not really interested in knowing the 17 different reasons why I shouldn't install such an aftermarket part or how bad it's gonna look.....simply looking for a source.

I've attached a small pic of the basic part I'm looking for just in case I'm calling it the wrong thing.

Thanks,
-CraigAttached Image

The part is a casting. Not machined aluminum. Not really sure what you are looking for. There have been those that have eliminated this and used a strap to actuate the door.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 9 2017, 12:08 PM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

The door pull is standard VW part so look over on thesamba or any VW aircooled parts dealer.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 9 2017, 12:09 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I’ve never seen one. Maybe the VW world has such a part.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 9 2017, 12:15 PM
Post #5

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I just looked over on cip1, they have them for earlier bugs, just stock for late so you might be SOL.
I believe the 914 uses a T3 or T4 handle.
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Dec 9 2017, 12:22 PM
Post #6

Thanks for the quick feedback....I'll keep looking, but might opt for the door strap type of pull.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 9 2017, 12:53 PM
Post #7

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

There are a few members on here who do CNC work, so maybe one of them can cut you some from raw billet, & start their own new repro part source to sell on here!?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

For the strap route, you might check around for someone doing the RS door panels &/or just the straps for 911 &/or 914 ("look"), & maybe SMC, Stoddard's, etc. may have them from the 911RS parts bin.

Also, someone (914 A&P ? - 914Rubber?) was making the 914RS-look door panels with straps IIRC - if you want to kill all the birds with one stone on your customized door panels.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 9 2017, 02:49 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 9 2017, 10:53 AM) *

There are a few members on here who do CNC work, so maybe one of them can cut you some from raw billet, & start their own new repro part source to sell on here!?

For the strap route, you might check around for someone doing the RS door panels &/or just the straps for 911 &/or 914 ("look"), & maybe SMC, Stoddard's, etc. may have them from the 911RS parts bin.

Also, someone (914 A&P ? - 914Rubber?) was making the 914RS-look door panels with straps IIRC - if you want to kill all the birds with one stone on your customized door panels.

Tom
///////

I'd have to hold one in my hands to see how feasible it really would be to make.... less that $10 in material but the setup can be a PITA. I like the idea of the 914RS panels and straps.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Dec 9 2017, 02:55 PM
Post #9

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

It's just a screw, a couple of bolts, and a pull-rod disconnect on your car to hold one in your hands, Mike... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Though knowing you, it would lead to a complete re-engineering of everything inside the door.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

--DD
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Dec 9 2017, 04:29 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 9 2017, 03:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 9 2017, 10:53 AM) *

Tom
///////

I'd have to hold one in my hands to see how feasible it really would be to make.... less that $10 in material but the setup can be a PITA. I like the idea of the 914RS panels and straps.

If you'd have any interest in taking a shot at CNC'-ing a pair of these, I'd be glad to take one of mine off and mail it to you. The part that I'd like to see made available is pretty much the stock look, only billet aluminum instead of chrome, "sans" the lines/ridges. In other words, a more "Spartan" version of the original, but cleaner IMHO.

PM me if you want me to send you my existing. I'd appreciate it, and would be willing to kick in some extra cash to offset some of your labor in getting things set up.
Thanks,
-Craig

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 01:22 PM