Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boxster Calipers with 15" Wheels, ?
mmascari
post Dec 29 2017, 10:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,850
Region Association: None

My car currently has Boxster calipers front and rear and I am running Boxster wheels. I like the look of 15" Fuchs so I am looking at the Maxilite 15x6 wheels. Anyone out there running Boxster calipers with 15" wheels? Just wondering if they fit. I don't know anyone that has a 15" wheel to test. Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Dec 29 2017, 10:43 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

What rotors are you running? That's a key factor...I'm guessing Carrera (impact bumper) rotor?

I'd be surprised if 15" fit, the 16" I use look like they don't have a lot of room to spare.

Anyone else have a set of 15" fuchs and tried it?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 29 2017, 10:51 AM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

You might have to make a template and share it so someone can measure a wheel if not local...

template ideas: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/...tment-templates
+Quote Post
mmascari
post Dec 29 2017, 10:57 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 29 2017, 08:43 AM) *

What rotors are you running? That's a key factor...I'm guessing Carrera (impact bumper) rotor?

I'd be surprised if 15" fit, the 16" I use look like they don't have a lot of room to spare.

Anyone else have a set of 15" fuchs and tried it?

I am running Stoptech Carrera rotors in front and 911sc in back. It looks like there is plenty of space but could be wrong

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Dec 29 2017, 11:31 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I run 7x15" (fake) Fuchs with Boxster calipers with no issues. You can think about potential clearance issues in 2 ways / axes: 1) the radial clearance (i.e. radially to the inner curved surface of the wheel well) and 2) the offset clearance (to the rear face and contours of the wheel center).

Given early (non S) Boxster calipers were designed to fit under 15" wheels, and the fact that most mounting adapters are aiming to place them so they can use 86-88 Carrera rotors (as Nathan points out), radial clearance (issue 1) is not usually a problem. No doubt there are some 15" rims somewhere in the world that prove this wrong, but with my rims there looks to be a 10mm radial clearance between caliper and wheel.

The offset clearance is where you have to focus. Different rims and offsets, in combination with hub depth chosen (think there are a few variants from Porsche?) can absolutely give clearance issues. I run a lot of wheel spacer to fill out the GT fenders (obviously helping caliper clearance), but on a narrow body car this is restricted.

Anyway, so to the OP's question: I am over on the Peninsula - PM me if you want to meet sometime and test fit on your car. I have a 6x15" (real) Fuch as a spare we can try.

- Tony
+Quote Post
mmascari
post Dec 29 2017, 11:41 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Retroracer @ Dec 29 2017, 09:31 AM) *

I run 7x15" (fake) Fuchs with Boxster calipers with no issues. You can think about potential clearance issues in 2 ways / axes: 1) the radial clearance (i.e. radially to the inner curved surface of the wheel well) and 2) the offset clearance (to the rear face and contours of the wheel center).

Given early (non S) Boxster calipers were designed to fit under 15" wheels, and the fact that most mounting adapters are aiming to place them so they can use 86-88 Carrera rotors (as Nathan points out), radial clearance (issue 1) is not usually a problem. No doubt there are some 15" rims somewhere in the world that prove this wrong, but with my rims there looks to be a 10mm radial clearance between caliper and wheel.

The offset clearance is where you have to focus. Different rims and offsets, in combination with hub depth chosen (think there are a few variants from Porsche?) can absolutely give clearance issues. I run a lot of wheel spacer to fill out the GT fenders (obviously helping caliper clearance), but on a narrow body car this is restricted.

Anyway, so to the OP's question: I am over on the Peninsula - PM me if you want to meet sometime and test fit on your car. I have a 6x15" (real) Fuch as a spare we can try.

- Tony

Cool, thanks Tony. That makes sense.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 29 2017, 11:50 AM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

They fit real fuchs but not all fakes are the same dimension.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mmascari
post Dec 29 2017, 12:32 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 29 2017, 09:50 AM) *

Thanks, maybe I will buy one 6x15" maxilite and try it.
+Quote Post
mmascari
post Dec 29 2017, 12:33 PM
Post #9

Here is the description of the Maxilite from their website:

6x15, off set ET 36, 5x130, optics as original deep six, matt black centre with diamond cut lip, fits Porsche 911 and 912 up to MY 1976 all around, also front axle of Porsche 911 to MY 1980, not SC 204 HP, Carrera 3,2 or turbo. No caps included
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 29 2017, 12:56 PM
Post #10

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mmascari @ Dec 29 2017, 08:29 AM) *
My car currently has Boxster calipers front and rear and I am running Boxster wheels. I like the look of 15" Fuchs so I am looking at the Maxilite 15x6 wheels. Anyone out there running Boxster calipers with 15" wheels? Just wondering if they fit. I don't know anyone that has a 15" wheel to test. Thanks.

Don't know about the Fuchs wheels but i run Boxster calipers under 15x7 Cookie Cutter Wheels with no problems.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 29 2017, 01:01 PM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(mmascari @ Dec 29 2017, 10:33 AM) *

Here is the description of the Maxilite from their website:

6x15, off set ET 36, 5x130, optics as original deep six, matt black centre with diamond cut lip, fits Porsche 911 and 912 up to MY 1976 all around, also front axle of Porsche 911 to MY 1980, not SC 204 HP, Carrera 3,2 or turbo. No caps included

Wondering why they say that, besides being too narrow for aesthetics? Or do they have larger brakes?

Remember that due to be castings they could be a tad thicker which would be for the most part all on the inside area for the brakes.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:59 PM