Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxster Calipers with 15" Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmascari
My car currently has Boxster calipers front and rear and I am running Boxster wheels. I like the look of 15" Fuchs so I am looking at the Maxilite 15x6 wheels. Anyone out there running Boxster calipers with 15" wheels? Just wondering if they fit. I don't know anyone that has a 15" wheel to test. Thanks.
JmuRiz
What rotors are you running? That's a key factor...I'm guessing Carrera (impact bumper) rotor?

I'd be surprised if 15" fit, the 16" I use look like they don't have a lot of room to spare.

Anyone else have a set of 15" fuchs and tried it?
Mueller
You might have to make a template and share it so someone can measure a wheel if not local...

template ideas: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/...tment-templates
mmascari
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 29 2017, 08:43 AM) *

What rotors are you running? That's a key factor...I'm guessing Carrera (impact bumper) rotor?

I'd be surprised if 15" fit, the 16" I use look like they don't have a lot of room to spare.

Anyone else have a set of 15" fuchs and tried it?

I am running Stoptech Carrera rotors in front and 911sc in back. It looks like there is plenty of space but could be wrong
Retroracer
I run 7x15" (fake) Fuchs with Boxster calipers with no issues. You can think about potential clearance issues in 2 ways / axes: 1) the radial clearance (i.e. radially to the inner curved surface of the wheel well) and 2) the offset clearance (to the rear face and contours of the wheel center).

Given early (non S) Boxster calipers were designed to fit under 15" wheels, and the fact that most mounting adapters are aiming to place them so they can use 86-88 Carrera rotors (as Nathan points out), radial clearance (issue 1) is not usually a problem. No doubt there are some 15" rims somewhere in the world that prove this wrong, but with my rims there looks to be a 10mm radial clearance between caliper and wheel.

The offset clearance is where you have to focus. Different rims and offsets, in combination with hub depth chosen (think there are a few variants from Porsche?) can absolutely give clearance issues. I run a lot of wheel spacer to fill out the GT fenders (obviously helping caliper clearance), but on a narrow body car this is restricted.

Anyway, so to the OP's question: I am over on the Peninsula - PM me if you want to meet sometime and test fit on your car. I have a 6x15" (real) Fuch as a spare we can try.

- Tony
mmascari
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Dec 29 2017, 09:31 AM) *

I run 7x15" (fake) Fuchs with Boxster calipers with no issues. You can think about potential clearance issues in 2 ways / axes: 1) the radial clearance (i.e. radially to the inner curved surface of the wheel well) and 2) the offset clearance (to the rear face and contours of the wheel center).

Given early (non S) Boxster calipers were designed to fit under 15" wheels, and the fact that most mounting adapters are aiming to place them so they can use 86-88 Carrera rotors (as Nathan points out), radial clearance (issue 1) is not usually a problem. No doubt there are some 15" rims somewhere in the world that prove this wrong, but with my rims there looks to be a 10mm radial clearance between caliper and wheel.

The offset clearance is where you have to focus. Different rims and offsets, in combination with hub depth chosen (think there are a few variants from Porsche?) can absolutely give clearance issues. I run a lot of wheel spacer to fill out the GT fenders (obviously helping caliper clearance), but on a narrow body car this is restricted.

Anyway, so to the OP's question: I am over on the Peninsula - PM me if you want to meet sometime and test fit on your car. I have a 6x15" (real) Fuch as a spare we can try.

- Tony

Cool, thanks Tony. That makes sense.
mepstein
They fit real fuchs but not all fakes are the same dimension.
mmascari
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 29 2017, 09:50 AM) *

Thanks, maybe I will buy one 6x15" maxilite and try it.
mmascari

Here is the description of the Maxilite from their website:

6x15, off set ET 36, 5x130, optics as original deep six, matt black centre with diamond cut lip, fits Porsche 911 and 912 up to MY 1976 all around, also front axle of Porsche 911 to MY 1980, not SC 204 HP, Carrera 3,2 or turbo. No caps included
SirAndy
QUOTE(mmascari @ Dec 29 2017, 08:29 AM) *
My car currently has Boxster calipers front and rear and I am running Boxster wheels. I like the look of 15" Fuchs so I am looking at the Maxilite 15x6 wheels. Anyone out there running Boxster calipers with 15" wheels? Just wondering if they fit. I don't know anyone that has a 15" wheel to test. Thanks.

Don't know about the Fuchs wheels but i run Boxster calipers under 15x7 Cookie Cutter Wheels with no problems.
bye1.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(mmascari @ Dec 29 2017, 10:33 AM) *

Here is the description of the Maxilite from their website:

6x15, off set ET 36, 5x130, optics as original deep six, matt black centre with diamond cut lip, fits Porsche 911 and 912 up to MY 1976 all around, also front axle of Porsche 911 to MY 1980, not SC 204 HP, Carrera 3,2 or turbo. No caps included

Wondering why they say that, besides being too narrow for aesthetics? Or do they have larger brakes?

Remember that due to be castings they could be a tad thicker which would be for the most part all on the inside area for the brakes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.