Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ignition switch failures, Poll participation por favor
Switch Failures
Who and how long?
URO - still working 2+ years [ 2 ] ** [5.26%]
URO - failed less than 2 years [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
URO - failed within 1 year [ 4 ] ** [10.53%]
Other brand - so far so good [ 8 ] ** [21.05%]
Other brand - failed [ 2 ] ** [5.26%]
OEM Porsche. [ 22 ] ** [57.89%]
Total Votes: 38
Guests cannot vote 
Chris914n6
post Dec 30 2017, 08:40 PM
Post #1

Jackstands are my life.

Group: Members
Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

A URO rep saw my fail video and contacted me regarding their desire to understand the failure and make improvements. Part of the problem seems that Corporate doesn't see any failure rate unlike we do -- as none of us seem to be returning them.

So here is a chance to speak up for your experiences.

* My FLAPS sourced URO switch was marked with a green Sharpie 'quality control' dot, so it's safe to assume "other brands" with the same dot come from UROs manufacturer. For me that includes 2 other name brands.

My Video post
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 30 2017, 09:37 PM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Ford solenoid mod no failure, original switch.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Dec 31 2017, 09:20 AM
Post #3

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Well ive done it before, but could make these. What is the mode of failure? Loise contact arcing causing switch to melt?
Id be happy to make these correctly.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Dec 31 2017, 09:27 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Plastic is not hard enough to keep from breaking where the tip of key rotates the switch.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Dec 31 2017, 09:42 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

Yeah, the switches are likely crap, but everyone should relay their starter circuit regardless (link in Mark's sig above). There's no reason to be sending that higher-amps all the way forward, through a plastic switch, and all the way back.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 31 2017, 10:00 AM
Post #6

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) w Mark. My 76 is done that way and I've had it since 99 w/ same switch. My 73 has OEM and solenoid, too. Still ok since '11. My 70 failed after about 25 on/off cycles off the switch while doing tests. This is even before it ever cranked over. I bought a used OEM from Bruce and installed solenoid. Have no Idea what brand it came with but it was junk. Would not send power out to the #9 blk wire. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Dec 31 2017, 10:48 AM
Post #7

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

When i had the opportunity I bought about 6 NOS switches. This was a few years ago. Think ill dig these out and take a look. I would make available a few for those in need, but thinking if i made in glass reinforced Delrin. It would be a better product.

I would agree from a design standpoint the relay is a great improvement.
Mark
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Dec 31 2017, 11:29 AM
Post #8

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

My experience with ignition switches
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=110441
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 31 2017, 11:38 AM
Post #9

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Dec 30 2017, 11:40 PM) *

A URO rep saw my fail video and contacted me regarding their desire to understand the failure and make improvements. Part of the problem seems that Corporate doesn't see any failure rate unlike we do -- as none of us seem to be returning them.

* My FLAPS sourced URO switch was marked with a green Sharpie 'quality control' dot, so it's safe to assume "other brands" with the same dot come from UROs manufacturer. For me that includes 2 other name brands.

My Video post

They don’t return them because the price is low enough that the hassle exceeds the reward.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 31 2017, 11:39 AM
Post #10

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Dec 30 2017, 11:40 PM) *

My Video post

They don’t return them because the price is low enough that the hassle exceeds the reward.
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Jan 1 2018, 03:55 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 17,338

"Genuine Porsche" from Pelican about 2 years ago. Plan on doing the Ford solenoid soon, but 100 miles a day and still no issues. (I thought I put the Meistersatz in and accidentally voted "other".)
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Jan 1 2018, 08:41 AM
Post #12

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152

They're still available OEM for later car's. Delrin would be a great solution, IMHO.

Yay Mark (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jan 1 2018, 09:42 AM
Post #13

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) A new-improved version will be great
Are there 3 versions of the switch for the different years ?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Jan 1 2018, 09:48 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 10,019

I replaced my cracked OE switch with one from a local VW parts shop. Do not recall the brand but hopefully it lasts a little while.

This thread has some good 'fix' info:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...START&st=20
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Jan 1 2018, 12:58 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 21,596

Please correct me if I am wrong believing as follows:

1) Relay switches.

The starter motor has a relay switch attached to it with a large wire connection for the positive wire (high amps) directly from the battery, and a small blade connection for the yellow wire (low amps) from the ignition switch starter mode contact. The yellow wire signal is a low amp signal to the relay switch which then connects the high amp power from the battery onto the motor, probably drawing as much as 30 to 40 amps to turn the engine over.

Thus, why do some suggest an additional relay switch is helpful?

2) Ignition switch.

I have noticed the high frequency failure of the typical column mounted ignition switch reported. The physical force to turn the key the last clockwise notch to engage the starter (yellow wire) maybe the primary cause of these switches failing.

My solution was to install a "press start" switch (see pic) with a relay switch so that to start the engine - you switch the ignition on as usual, but use the press start switch to engage the starter, thus avoiding using the key to press/twist the switch to the starter position. It also looks cool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jan 1 2018, 01:47 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

QUOTE(914Toy @ Jan 1 2018, 01:58 PM) *
The starter motor has a relay switch attached to it with a large wire connection for the positive wire (high amps) directly from the battery, and a small blade connection for the yellow wire (low amps) from the ignition switch starter mode contact. The yellow wire signal is a low amp signal to the relay switch which then connects the high amp power from the battery onto the motor, probably drawing as much as 30 to 40 amps to turn the engine over.

Without getting into too much electrical technical discussion...you are correct: the starter motor itself gets its driving amps directly from the battery through the large positive cable. And, the starter solenoid is itself a relay in that it engages the motor when it moves.

However, engagement of the solenoid is a relatively-high-amp draw itself, since it has high(er) coil resistance. While maintaining a solenoid engaged is only around 8-10A or so (I've never measured it) the process of engaging that solenoid, the first 30-50 milliseconds of inrush when you turn to the start position, is actually a higher current draw, I'm guessing anywhere from 25-30A. That can be hard on a switch, especially one of crappy design.

Energizing a relay, such as the Ford relay or the commonly-used "hot start kit" Bosch relay, only takes about 3A.

Further, in the Porsche 914 that 25/30-then-~10A current has to go from the battery, all the way up front to the fuse panel, then up to the ignition switch, then all the way back to the starter solenoid. And all across 40+-yr-old wiring and connections.

So, all in all, it's just good electrical design to place a relay back there, keep the current local, and minimize current to all the way up front and then back.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jan 1 2018, 02:03 PM
Post #17

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

The replaceable ignition switch plastic portion rotates in the metal switch barrel when operated and needs to be lubricated to reduce wear and stress on the plastic switch housing. I believe this lack of lubrication is a major contributor to premature switch failures. Use a thin coating of silicone grease.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Jan 1 2018, 02:06 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 21,596

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 1 2018, 11:47 AM) *

QUOTE(914Toy @ Jan 1 2018, 01:58 PM) *

Without getting into too much electrical technical discussion...you are correct: the starter motor itself gets its driving amps directly from the battery through the large positive cable. And, the starter solenoid is itself a relay in that it engages the motor when it moves.

However, engagement of the solenoid is a relatively-high-amp draw itself, since it has high(er) coil resistance. While maintaining a solenoid engaged is only around 8-10A or so (I've never measured it) the process of engaging that solenoid, the first 30-50 milliseconds of inrush when you turn to the start position, is actually a higher current draw, I'm guessing anywhere from 25-30A. That can be hard on a switch, especially one of crappy design.

Energizing a relay, such as the Ford relay or the commonly-used "hot start kit" Bosch relay, only takes about 3A.

Further, in the Porsche 914 that 25/30-then-~10A current has to go from the battery, all the way up front to the fuse panel, then up to the ignition switch, then all the way back to the starter solenoid. And all across 40+-yr-old wiring and connections.

So, all in all, it's just good electrical design to place a relay back there, keep the current local, and minimize current to all the way up front and then back.

This makes sense. I will add a 30 amp relay switch (Ford or Bosch) for the solenoid switch connection to the battery, using the yellow wire from my push start to initiate this additional relay switch. Thanks for the description.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jan 1 2018, 02:56 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

The switch design is basically the same for 914,T2,944,924,T25 and I believe later T1 and several Audi's of a similar era there is possibly more that I don't know about.
The key issue is the top section cracks @ the point where the return spring tang fits no getting past that regardless of the brand IMO its just a matter of time/use ,from direct experience I haven't seen a switch melt but I'am sure it could happen.
I started a thread some months ago after looking into the issue and found the direct result of the top section cracking is the contact springs lose tension and cause intermitant "dead spots" until the switch fails completely.
Using Pelican Meistersatz replacement and so far so good,I refuse to buy anything URO after being stranded on the side of the road by one of their parts in my old Golf GTI,URO guy pops up every now and then but never directly replies quality issues......funny that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif).
Perhaps 914 rubber could make a stronger top cap section for the switch then folks could swap them out....easy enough to do afterall.
+Quote Post
djway
post Jan 1 2018, 07:47 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 19,266

Hurry up Mikey. In the car I am rebuilding the plastic housing was cracked so I heat welded it back together. If you make the switch before I put the column back in the car I don't have to take the risk.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:41 PM